2018 Free Agency Discussion Thread

AnAngryAmerican

13 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Let’s play nice guys.  @Counselor let’s agree joke is too strong to use regardless of how it’s worded.  I agree with your views on all the moves made too. We all know @DiehardBronxFan‘s comprehension is fine. 

Joke only applies to Mile High Report.  :D

@Counselor, all is good on my end. Aren’t you one of the big Mayfield fans?  I know not everyone is on board with him, But I’m right there with you there.  Don’t see it happening at this point, though.  Have a strong hunch that is who the Jets are hoping for at 3.

BTW we don’t want him back - but I did lol @ Sly Williams release after 1 season with TEN.   He was the first need-based Rd 1 pick in Elway’s history.  Really the definition of 0-tech JAG.    Hopefully that draft approach changes back this year.  

1 hour ago, DiehardBronxFan said:

Perhaps you can educate me?  So if I were to say this conversation is becoming a joke, you wouldn’t be offended, but if I say it is a joke, that’s materially different?  Seems like a pretty fine nuance for a  Football message board, but if that is the standard we are all going to hold ourselves to, I will endeavor to do better.

It’s all love

1 hour ago, DiehardBronxFan said:

@Counselor, all is good on my end. Aren’t you one of the big Mayfield fans?  I know not everyone is on board with him, But I’m right there with you there.  Don’t see it happening at this point, though.  Have a strong hunch that is who the Jets are hoping for at 3.

Awesome possum. Yeah I’m afraid he won’t be there at 5 but Allen will and Elway goes that route...

2 hours ago, DiehardBronxFan said:

Anybody have terms on Billy Turner?

Not a thing and I've looked. I'd be surprised if it's anything more than 1 year at league minimum with no guarantees.

If it were more than that I think we would have heard something

On 3/16/2018 at 10:20 PM, Broncofan said:

We're pretty much agreed.   FWIW, I said it before but it bears repeating - yes, "joke" is way too strong.   One thing I'd ask you to consider - even if it's a vet min deal,  Turner is a bad decision.  We can't lose $ over it - but we're giving a roster spot and practice reps to a guy with no hope of helping us long-term - and he's not even a good backup now.   There's an opportunity cost - we should be giving someone else that chance.   Even if that guy is less known than Taylor to DEN.   Familiarity isn't a good enough reason for the 52nd guy on our roster to be there, not when we are this talent-poor.  Talent-poor means we should be mining every chance to find a higher-ceiling result than the status quo guys.  The end result isn't my problem - it's the thinking process behind that decision.  Improve the process, better decisions happen.   

I truly believe the only way Elway will improve the draft is if he embraces overall BPA early again. He's always been a sucker for the all-tools-no-skills Day 2 guys.  It's the needs-based drafting that has really hurt us in addition to Day 2 busts (that's because he doesn't value football skills enough on Day 2, but that's another story for another thread lol).  But going away from needs-based drafting means he can't be thinking win-now-at-all-costs.   That's the iffy part IMO.

I feel strongly that the 2017 draft is still one with very good potential.  Carlos Henderson, Jake Butt, and Demarcus Walker should be on the roster and I would argue that all three can develop in to starters.  They should get a lot more production out of Walker especially if they can put a little weight on him and get him in the interior where he belongs.  We found a starting tackle in Bolles, who I feel will improve a lot with a full off season and the learning under fire starting all 16 games was huge for him.  De'Angelo Henderson from all accounts will contribute.  Not sure why I am going to say this, and it may be a clear homer opinion, but I do still believe that Isiah McKenzie could develop in to a slot receiver for this team.  I am making an assumption that he is a higher character kid who can learn from the horrendous experience as a rookie.  Big question mark for sure.

THe final guys are Brendan Langley who had a horrible year and IMO will not make the team.  And then the mighty Hottie Tottie in Chad Kelly.  Should be fun to watch him and he is the wildcard.

All in all, and yes there are question marks, but if CH and JB are on the field and healthy, they could make this draft a very good one.

For a team that has been drafting at the back of the draft for so long, it will be very interesting to see what they are able to do this year given that they have capital only seen once every decade to attack this draft aggressively in the first 3 Rounds.

If we draft the right guy at 5, which I agree with you has to be the BPA or even the popular trade back and do the same with Buffalo's picks.  We are in a good position to have last year and this year be very fruitful. 

I know this is the free agent thread, but I feel it's appropriate to mention because the 2017 kids may be influencing the slow start to signing players.

That's my take.

3 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Just heard on the radio that Cody Latimer has signed with the Giants. It makes sense, that's where Tyke Tolbert landed as WRs coach. 

I just dropped this in a new topic.  Darn it.  Thought it was worthy enough.

On 3/16/2018 at 11:27 AM, AnAngryAmerican said:

I don't think we can afford either. It sounds like the money we had before signing Keenum and then what we got with the Von restructure is going to be used to sign a handful of middling players like Brock, maybe Eric Ebron, perhaps a No. 3 WR and some RT, which Klis keeps saying they're looking for but I don't see anyone on the market who is not just another Stephenson/Watson type. 

On 3/16/2018 at 1:18 PM, Broncofan said:

The scary name we are linked to in some twitter reports - Marshall Newhouse.  Ugh. ¬¬

On 3/16/2018 at 1:21 PM, AnAngryAmerican said:

Puke. 

The good news - BUF took Newhouse off the market.   That's a blessing for us, no thank you.

The bad news - still have no RT we can feel good about.  Ugh.

Archived