2018 Free Agency Discussion Thread

AnAngryAmerican

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

It’s why I think CJ is a goner.  Only way he stays is with a pay cut (which I get why he’s not going there) or we suddenly lose a lot of picks and don’t go RB at the draft.   He’s basically RB draft insurance.   We see a RB get drafted Rd4 he’s likely done.   I don’t think we are losing those picks but no reason for Elway to decide predraft. 

Watson only stays with us with an extreme pay cut.   Or in the awful scenario where he can’t pass a physical before the season starts (we’d have to pay him an injury settlement no idea how much that is).  That would be awful.  

I'm not so sure about CJ. He's still the best RB on the roster and a great late season performer. Hard to see Elway getting rid of Keenum's reliable weapons without a better option.

7 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

I'm not so sure about CJ. He's still the best RB on the roster and a great late season performer. Hard to see Elway getting rid of Keenum's reliable weapons without a better option.

Agree you can’t cut him with present roster.  The draft decides his outcome. 

6 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

Watson, Kerr, Garcia and McManus would create a nice chunk of savings.

Menelik Watson is going to make the team. His 2018 salary is now fully guaranteed meaning it would $1m to cut him. We could make him a June 1 and save $0.3m, but that means dead money next year and at that price you may as well just keep him to be one of the better backup swing OTs in the league then cut him next offseason and save over $6m.

Writing is on the wall for Brandon McManus if that young kicker is any good. He saves $2.25m if we make him a June 1.

Kerr should be gone.

Garcia stays as your backup Guard unless we draft Nelson.

6 hours ago, paul-mac said:

Menelik Watson is going to make the team. His 2018 salary is now fully guaranteed meaning it would $1m to cut him. We could make him a June 1 and save $0.3m, but that means dead money next year and at that price you may as well just keep him to be one of the better backup swing OTs in the league then cut him next offseason and save over $6m.

Writing is on the wall for Brandon McManus if that young kicker is any good. He saves $2.25m if we make him a June 1.

Kerr should be gone.

I say get rid of garcia and make watson a guard.

10 hours ago, paul-mac said:

Kerr should be gone.

Damn, that news slipped through the cracks...

http://www.9news.com/article/sports/marshall-miller-sanders-stewart-guaranteed-to-return/73-529650771 - no mention of Watson's year guaranteeing.  BUT...

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/breaking-down-menelik-watsons-three-year-18-37-million-deal/ - that does mention Watson's 2018 contract being guaranteed for injury.   The part that sucks is that Watson may not have been able to pass a physical.  If Watson was able to pass a physical, he should have been cut on Day 4 to keep the salary from guaranteeing, and saving the 4.5M (Mar. 18).  

This really, really sucks.   I don't see how we keep CJ Anderson on the squad (technically of course we can, but we needed at least 10-15M rollover for next year to really get out of trouble, and that's even with 3-4 vets going on top of 2018's cuts), which also means we need to draft a RB regardless (no way we can go with just Booker/Henderson on the roster).      We'll likely keep Anderson on the roster right up until the draft..and if there's a RB drafted, he's the most logical guy to go.  

Now, it's a different story if Watson couldn't pass a physical - but if he could, and we kept him because we didn't have a RT yet?   Man, that's an awful decision.   It's right up there with keeping Donald Stephenson at his 4M contract last year, renegotiating him down to a 2M bonus and then a min wage salary.    Those 5-6M add up. 

I doubt we can cut Kerr with our DL situation so much in flux.  Garcia is more likely to go IMO if we draft another interior OL.   Even, then, those 2 combined don't add to Watson's savings this year.    Man, this really, really bites for our 2019 cap.   Saving some $ this year was going to be necessary for restoring 2019 health. 

22 hours ago, Broncofan said:

It’s why I think CJ is a goner.  Only way he stays is with a pay cut (which I get why he’s not going there) or we suddenly lose a lot of picks and don’t go RB at the draft.   He’s basically RB draft insurance.   We see a RB get drafted Rd4 he’s likely done.   I don’t think we are losing those picks but no reason for Elway to decide predraft. 

Watson only stays with us with an extreme pay cut.   Or in the awful scenario where he can’t pass a physical before the season starts (we’d have to pay him an injury settlement no idea how much that is).  That would be awful.  

I understand it's a business but I hope Elway & Co. wouldn't do C.J. dirty like that. He's been a pro's pro since he first arrived here, a good guy in the community and the lockerroom. I hope if they planned to release him they would have done so early in the offseason, cutting him now, or worse after the draft, would really limit his market. 

17 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

Garcia is a better Guard than Watson is a Tackle so I’m not entirely sure this is a good idea. 

I kind of hate the word "better" when referring to those two. How 'bout "Garcia is marginally less awful than Watson"

11 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I understand it's a business but I hope Elway & Co. wouldn't do C.J. dirty like that. He's been a pro's pro since he first arrived here, a good guy in the community and the lockerroom. I hope if they planned to release him they would have done so early in the offseason, cutting him now, or worse after the draft, would really limit his market. 

The other scenario is a draft day trade.  At his salary though we’d get very little back.  But it would guarantee his salary.   That would likely be seen as a move without bad PR.   One comment though about the market - whether or not we cut him early in  the offseason or now/draft time, the market is bare for RB    Day 2 RB or later is just so much better if a cap value nowadays.  The optics look worse for sure though.  

19 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

The other scenario is a draft day trade.  At his salary though we’d get very little back.  But it would guarantee his salary.   That would likely be seen as a move without bad PR.   One comment though about the market - whether or not we cut him early in  the offseason or now/draft time, the market is bare for RB    Day 2 RB or later is just so much better if a cap value nowadays.  The optics look worse for sure though.  

Would make sense to gauge Washington's interest since they are in a similar position with Su'a not commanding the trade value they would like. 

Just now, BroncoBruin said:

Would make sense to gauge Washington's interest since they are in a similar position with Su'a not commanding the trade value they would like. 

That’s a rare case of a mutual fit.  I suspect given Cravens has 3 cheap years we’d still be giving a pick back but our last 5th rounder and CJ probably gets it done if WAS doesn’t invest in RB early. 

4 hours ago, AKRNA said:

I kind of hate the word "better" when referring to those two. How 'bout "Garcia is marginally less awful than Watson"

Did Max Garcia run over your pet dog or something? He's not a top quality OG but he's a decent backup who can play in a pinch. You can't have an entire 9-man OL roster of pro bowlers.

1 hour ago, paul-mac said:

Did Max Garcia run over your pet dog or something? He's not a top quality OG but he's a decent backup who can play in a pinch. You can't have an entire 9-man OL roster of pro bowlers.

Dude, Garcia sucks. If our RT situation wasn’t as bad as it was he would have been the weak link on a bad offensive line for two years. What value does playing in a pinch have if that player is terrible? Nobody is expecting Pro Bowl play from depth players, but one or two guys should ideally be capable of league average or slightly below league average play when plugged in, Garcia is capable of neither. He should be cut. There's no need to continue wasting time and money on his lack of development. Actually, he's regressed every year. 

Archived