2018 Free Agency Discussion Thread

AnAngryAmerican

14 minutes ago, champ11 said:

CJ Anderson signed with the Panthers. Colorado loves that backfield 

Going to be telling what he gets, I'm guessing somewhere around 2.5M, 3M with bonuses.   And that's only if other teams got really into bidding for his services.   RB is such a devalued position these days.  I don't think he will do anything but negate one of our bargain FA signings comp-pick wise.

Nothing but respect for what he did with us.   Another key piece to our SB run, he'll live on forever in Bronco history as a result.   Wish him well.

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

Going to be telling what he gets, I'm guessing somewhere around 2.5M, 3M with bonuses.   And that's only if other teams got really into bidding for his services.   RB is such a devalued position these days.  I don't think he will do anything but negate one of our bargain FA signings comp-pick wise.

Nothing but respect for what he did with us.   Another key piece to our SB run, he'll live on forever in Bronco history as a result.   Wish him well.

He wont negate anything. Cut players don’t count towards the comp pick formula 

Just now, paul-mac said:

He wont negate anything. Cut players don’t count towards the comp pick formula 

Right, keep forgetting that.   Declining an option (like we did with Okung) isn't the same as a cut.    Either way, us signing Keenum probably wipes out any FA departures in a big way.

The best line from today's signing so far - "that's the closest Cam will ever get to a SB50 ring".  :D

Right, keep forgetting that.   Declining an option (like we did with Okung) isn't the same as a cut.    Either way, us signing Keenum probably wipes out any FA departures in a big way.

The best line from today's signing so far - "that's the closest Cam will ever get to a SB50 ring".  :D

Cj ran with purpose that day he earned my respect for life

I wish CJ the best in Carolina. Not sure that I appreciated how long we held onto him before the cut, but it worked out for him in the end as he ends up on a better team and will likely get a surprising amount of carries IMO. 

Keeping Watson and cutting CJ was pretty confusing to me. I think we are going to be surprised by how poor our RB play is this year. I don't see a starting caliber player on this roster. Freeman is intriguing, but he isnt a guaranteed plug-and-play caliber prospect. He comes out of a really quirky running scheme and may take time to adjust. And Booker is a WR masquerading as a RB. He wont get it done on the ground. 

6 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

I wish CJ the best in Carolina. Not sure that I appreciated how long we held onto him before the cut, but it worked out for him in the end as he ends up on a better team and will likely get a surprising amount of carries IMO. 

Keeping Watson and cutting CJ was pretty confusing to me. I think we are going to be surprised by how poor our RB play is this year. I don't see a starting caliber player on this roster. Freeman is intriguing, but he isnt a guaranteed plug-and-play caliber prospect. He comes out of a really quirky running scheme and may take time to adjust. And Booker is a WR masquerading as a RB. He wont get it done on the ground. 

CJ was pretty easily our best offensive player last year, IMO. Running back is a major question mark to me. I think there is a pretty solid chance Freeman/Booker combine for starting quality play, but we'll see. 

11 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

It’s covered in other threads but Watson had an injury guarantee in his contract for the start of the new year.   Apparently wasn’t going to pass it because of last year’s injury.   If Elway kept him otherwise then yeah that’s a OMG WTF-were-you-thinking decision.  It’s also played a role in the Ray decline for a 5th year option (only guaranteed for injury like Watson) as Elway probably didn’t want to risk it.  

Booker is an absolute weapon in the pass game but yeah between the tackles he didn’t look like anything but JAG.  Freeman - Booker combo is likely the goal.   

It’s covered in other threads but Watson had an injury guarantee in his contract for the start of the new year.   Apparently wasn’t going to pass it because of last year’s injury.   If Elway kept him otherwise then yeah that’s a OMG WTF-were-you-thinking decision.  It’s also played a role in the Ray decline for a 5th year option (only guaranteed for injury like Watson) as Elway probably didn’t want to risk it.  

Booker is an absolute weapon in the pass game but yeah between the tackles he didn’t look like anything but JAG.  Freeman - Booker combo is likely the goal.   

Don't sleep on Henderson. 

Don't sleep on Henderson. 

I honestly think he is on par with Freeman and Booker as a talent, and would be in no way surprised if he ran away with the starting job. He has a burst that the other two lack, and in college at least was deceptively good at running between the tackles. He should get every bit a chance to earn reps as Booker and Royce.

My issue with Booker is that he is basically a telegraphed pass or play action guy. He is just not scaring any team as a runner, and we are not prolific enough as a passing team to have the luxury of a RB who can only catch the ball. Maybe in NE, or ATL, but we need guys that can run and take pressure off our mediocre at best QB situation. I think Booker's lack of acceleration once the ball is handed off to him will in the end snuff out his career. It was like night-and-day watching CJ vs Booker hit the hole. Gonna miss CJ's hitting the hole like shot out of a cannon, albeit he slowed down a bit as of late.

Freeman is an incredibly talented RB who isn't getting a lot of love. He's going to be a major part of this offense, and is very similar to CJ Anderson, but is slightly faster. Booker is basically a capable backup who can handle 3-down duties if necessary but you wouldn't want him as a first choice. He is a decent enough receiver. Henderson is a total wild card. He could run away with the job, but he could also be the 4th RB or off the team completely. I doubt it, but who knows.

7 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

Freeman is an incredibly talented RB who isn't getting a lot of love. He's going to be a major part of this offense, and is very similar to CJ Anderson, but is slightly faster. Booker is basically a capable backup who can handle 3-down duties if necessary but you wouldn't want him as a first choice. He is a decent enough receiver. Henderson is a total wild card. He could run away with the job, but he could also be the 4th RB or off the team completely. I doubt it, but who knows.

Freeman reminds me so much of Travis Henry, sans the small litter of kids and a bad coke habit.  

Archived