2018 Free Agency Discussion Thread

AnAngryAmerican

It seems to me that Joseph doesn't like to use rookies if the have a veteran at the same position so we may not see much of the rookies this season but maybe the 2nd year players might have a chance to shine this year.  I believe Bolles was the only rookie to see much action last year, wasn't he?

2 hours ago, kansas bob said:

It seems to me that Joseph doesn't like to use rookies if the have a veteran at the same position so we may not see much of the rookies this season but maybe the 2nd year players might have a chance to shine this year.  I believe Bolles was the only rookie to see much action last year, wasn't he?

Hard to say - Butt & Kelly were IR'd with no chance of return, and rightfully so.   Walker was asked to play out of position, and in order to do so, lost so much weight there was no chance to play DE.    C-Henderson was so raw in TC they chose to redshirt him for the entire year (his injury had a 6-8 recovery timeframe when he got hurt in early August, the IR-no return was so they could stash him and still have no dead spots on the 53-man roster..well, I should say no other dead spots than Isiah McKenzie & Langley).   McKenzie certainly was given a shot, he was awful.   Langley wasn't ready.   The only guy who you could question his usage was D-Henderson - but again, Elway's choice to sign JC when we already had CJ and Booker, it kind of sealed D-Henderson's fate.  It's why I railed so hard against the JC signing - truly wasted 2.6M that we could use, but worse by the fact we didn't even see if D-Henderson had potential to be someone we could count on to contribute (a week 17 performance against the 32nd run D by DVOA - who were also playing their subs - doesn't help give much info, sadly).   Booker being cheap, and CJ being our top guy, it made zero sense to pay JC that $.   And that unfortunately played out as predicted.   

Back to D-Henderson - sadly, because we literally got no real meaningful game action to see him play (garbage time down multiple TD's and a game against subs on the worst run D don't help), well, impossible to know what we have.   And the choices we made in FA kinda gave VJ little choice. 

Honestly, the 2018 draft probably speaks more to how DEN views the 2017 drafted guys - doubling up on WR and CB in Rds 2-3 speaks volumes as to how far away they see C-Henderson from helping (or worse, that he's never going to be more than a gadget guy), same for Langley.  I'm not sure that's on a preference of vets over rookies - frankly, unless Walker & Butt take a big step forward (and neither is a lock to do so by any means), overall our rookie class in 2017 will prove to be awful.

Even lower than I thought - probably no one else heavily in the bidding.   Waiting until just b4 the draft sucks, but realistically he wasn’t getting ahead of guys like McKinnon, Hyde or Lewis but guys like Crowell, Ivory, J-Stew and Hill he could have upgraded.  The top guys there got 2.5M - 3M and the lowest 1.5M so at least it wasn’t a complete screw job.  

On 5/10/2018 at 1:09 PM, Broncofan said:

Even lower than I thought - probably no one else heavily in the bidding.   Waiting until just b4 the draft sucks, but realistically he wasn’t getting ahead of guys like McKinnon, Hyde or Lewis but guys like Crowell, Ivory, J-Stew and Hill he could have upgraded.  The top guys there got 2.5M - 3M and the lowest 1.5M so at least it wasn’t a complete screw job.  

I am pretty sure that picture IS NOT CJ...it looks nothing like him. They got the wrong guy.  

• 2 weeks later...

Archived