2018 Free Agency Discussion Thread

AnAngryAmerican

5 hours ago, MillerTime81 said:

I am interested in seeing what we have with Kelly as well, we may have hit on him in last yrs draft as well as Butt.

Butt I agree will be a valuable player one way or another. There's literally nothing to justify the belief in Kelly except for hope. He hasn't had any time to show what he can do, and he comes with significant risk. It would be crazy to pass up a chance at a QB in the Top 5 in favor of Mr. Irrelevant.

2 hours ago, broncos67 said:

Butt I agree will be a valuable player one way or another. There's literally nothing to justify the belief in Kelly except for hope. He hasn't had any time to show what he can do, and he comes with significant risk. It would be crazy to pass up a chance at a QB in the Top 5 in favor of Mr. Irrelevant.

If you believe the QB is a true top 5 type talent - Rosen/Darnold.   If neither are there....much rather have the top non-QB talent at 1.5, at least unless Allen/Mayfield show they are worth it (and history really says if they haven't established themselves by now, it's likely a reach for need).    Even if we have a lot of hope in Kelly, that's no reason to not dip into the draft if Darnold/Rosen are there, or FA as the market is actually OK for truly serviceable guys in case Kelly's hope is entirely misplaced.  The only problem I see is that obv. we have to decide on FA well before the draft.  

You just said as much in the other thread about the draft value of 1.5, but I figured it was worth clarifying given this discussion is happening.  

Worst-case if we hit on Darnold/Rosen and Kelly shows he's actually quite good (injury opportunity, preseason <which counts for a LOT less than ppl think>), then you can always trade for great value.    We should NOT be worrying about getting 2 good QB's on our team - Kelly's a free shot, doesn't cost anything.   If he hits AND we have another good QB on the roster, awesome - we have a trade chip to make the rest of our team better.     The more pressing issue IMO is that while there's a lot to still happen (Senior Bowl, Combine, etc.) - still looks like Rosen & Darnold are going 1-2.   Oh well.

5 hours ago, broncos67 said:

With Mac going to Indy and Jacoby Brissett being there, I think there is a good chance that Andrew Luck does become available.

We all know how Mac needs his lackeys and yes-men on the roster, coaching staff and front off and Brissett has been indoctrinated in the Patriot Way. Having Luck throw 20 screens a game and never push the ball more than 10 yards downfield is a waste of his talent. Trading him could return a nice bounty for Indy and allow Mac to shape the Colts' roster in his vision.

I know some of you are (rightfully) concerned about his shoulder but I think that's a gamble that is worth taking if he passes a physical. 

1 hour ago, MillerTime81 said:

what is the latest on Luck, any update on how much of his throwing strength he lost or is it still rehabbing

No word and there won’t be until OTA’s.  The Colts owner flat out hid the severity of the injury - I would not trust any news from that camp.  

The crux is this - the flags are massive, in which case no thx.  If he’s ok then the Colts won’t want to deal him.   And with no real hard tangible info you can rely on until after the Draft (let alone FA) just hard seeing the path there.  

31 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

No word and there won’t be until OTA’s.  The Colts owner flat out hid the severity of the injury - I would not trust any news from that camp.  

The crux is this - the flags are massive, in which case no thx.  If he’s ok then the Colts won’t want to deal him.   And with no real hard tangible info you can rely on until after the Draft (let alone FA) just hard seeing the path there.  

Would you trust information from the horse's mouth that the horse said he underwent treatment and feels fine...horse said he should be available for training camp. 

9 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

Would you trust information from the horse's mouth that the horse said he underwent treatment and feels fine...horse said he should be available for training camp. 

Same horse said that last year that he'd be fine....then later would be playing during the season.   So not really.

55 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Same horse said that last year that he'd be fine....then later would be playing during the season.   So not really.

Maybe he would be more fine if he were a horse? Maybe that's what the horse wants...to be a horse instead of a colt. 

On 1/16/2018 at 12:43 AM, MillerTime81 said:

I am interested in seeing what we have with Kelly as well, we may have hit on him in last yrs draft as well as Butt.

Gah. Chad Kelly has to be the most over-hyped 7th round pick in NFL history. There is a reason that we haven't heard praises from anyone who spends significant time around the team on the field or in the locker room. 

38 minutes ago, bMiller031 said:

Gah. Chad Kelly has to be the most over-hyped 7th round pick in NFL history. There is a reason that we haven't heard praises from anyone who spends significant time around the team on the field or in the locker room. 

If he wasn't Jim Kellys nephew he'd be a JAG.

8 hours ago, bMiller031 said:

I don't see hype - I see 3QBs who we know are not the answer - he's the next man up (unless we sign a FA or draft a QB).

Archived