2018 Free Agency Discussion Thread

AnAngryAmerican

13 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

Wow...just read at lunch that Elway is aiming to blow things up...Siemien getting traded, Sanders getting traded or cut, Talib getting shopped, Paxton getting traded or cut if the Broncos sign Cousins.  Who is next..I am going CJ.  This class of RBs is pretty good with Barkley, Marcel, Chubb...

Outside of shopping Talib, all those moves need to happen anyway. 

35 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

Wow...just read at lunch that Elway is aiming to blow things up...Siemien getting traded, Sanders getting traded or cut, Talib getting shopped, Paxton getting traded or cut if the Broncos sign Cousins.  Who is next..I am going CJ.  This class of RBs is pretty good with Barkley, Marcel, Chubb...

Link?

Ya, none of those moves are that surprising.

I would hope that we only move on from one of Sanders / Talib. And while I prefer to keep Talib, his contact gets us 11M in cap space vs the 5M that Sanders would net. And he probably gets us a better pick. So he just makes sense.

I continue to hope we don't cut Sanders. If he netted us more than a 50/50 split b/t cap space and dead money, I would have less issue moving him. But a player like Manny, even if a slight locker room distraction, is worth more than 5M in cap space. I also wonder how moving one of our two competent WR's is going to help attract a FA QB or help a drafted QB transition.

5 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

Some talk on Twitter that people around the league think that whilst Trevor Siemian isn’t a starter, he has a long term future as one of the best backup QBs in football, and the Broncos might get a pick for him.

Looking at PHI might be convincing teams to get a better backup than the usual hope-your-starter-doesn’t-get-hurt option.  

Greg Knapp is the ATL QB coach so there’s that angle too.   Given he’s got no future in DEN anything is a bonus.  

39 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

That's great. I would have been happy with just the 700k in cap space, a draft pick would be incredible.

FWIW - Siemian's games started means that his salary next year is 1.9M - remember that the min salary is 500K, so 700k just saves 200K because that replacement has to make at least min wage.  In this case, however, yeah, it's a bigger savings AND a draft pick?  The 1.4M saved alone was a no-brainer, this would be icing on the cake.

5 hours ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Ya, none of those moves are that surprising.

I would hope that we only move on from one of Sanders / Talib. And while I prefer to keep Talib, his contact gets us 11M in cap space vs the 5M that Sanders would net. And he probably gets us a better pick. So he just makes sense.

I continue to hope we don't cut Sanders. If he netted us more than a 50/50 split b/t cap space and dead money, I would have less issue moving him. But a player like Manny, even if a slight locker room distraction, is worth more than 5M in cap space. I also wonder how moving one of our two competent WR's is going to help attract a FA QB or help a drafted QB transition.

Maybe the distraction issue with Manny is a problem, I don't know. What I do know is we got killed by both of this tears SB teams. Those games were over in the 1st half. Giving up 93 points , 7 TD passes and over 800 yards in two games just may indicate we've got some pretty serious defensive issues.

We could've had Elway in his prime at QB and still lost.

Impossible to know how much locker room cohesion, player talent and coaching had to do with the performance or lack of. Probably a lot of all three. Anyway, there's not much they can do to upset me if they start cleaning house. They've already gone through it with the FO and staff. Pretty soon it's the players turn.

If we are truly blowing this team up, we might as well trade Von Miller and other defensive stalwarts like Wolfe and CH3. A true tear down will lead to a team that is playoff worthy around the time that those guys are declining.

I don't understand the necessity of a full rebuild. The division is ripe for the taking. Get a franchise QB and a quality RT and we can make a run tomorrow.

59 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

If we are truly blowing this team up, we might as well trade Von Miller and other defensive stalwarts like Wolfe and CH3. A true tear down will lead to a team that is playoff worthy around the time that those guys are declining.

I don't understand the necessity of a full rebuild. The division is ripe for the taking. Get a franchise QB and a quality RT and we can make a run tomorrow.

Getting into the playoffs in the AFC doesn't seem that hard.  The Bills got it for heavens sake, and they did it with a 9-7 record.  We had that record the year before.  A few key players and we are back in.  

Archived