2018 Free Agency Discussion Thread

AnAngryAmerican

2 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

FWIW the BUF C Eric Wood situation may have a ripple effect on us, with Wolfe.   Wood basically had a neck condition picked up on end of season physical,  no injury, and was told he would never get clearance to play again - even it was treated and/or surgically repaired.   

Obviously it depends on the injury but I suspect after Ryan Shazier teams are going to be less tolerant of risk with neck injuries and return to playing.    Wolfe’s recovery will likely fall heavily under the microscope.  His return weighs heavily in where we prioritize FA so figured I’d post it in this thread.  

May need to invest in the Chubb pick...which I am all for...dude looks like a monster.

FWIW the BUF C Eric Wood situation may have a ripple effect on us, with Wolfe.   Wood basically had a neck condition picked up on end of season physical,  no actual playing injury, and was told he would never get clearance to play again - even it was treated and/or surgically repaired.   

Obviously it depends on the injury but I suspect after Ryan Shazier teams are going to be less tolerant of risk with neck injuries and return to playing.    Wolfe’s recovery will likely fall heavily under the microscope.  His return weighs heavily in where we prioritize FA so figured I’d post it in this thread.  

Even if Wolfe is out, or retires, I still wouldn't consider 34DE a need above QB, RT and even ILB. Shelby Harris flashed every time he touched the field, and the advanced metrics back it up (81 PFF grade). If he can build on last season, he is starter material. Especially as a pass rusher.

1 hour ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Even if Wolfe is out, or retires, I still wouldn't consider 34DE a need above QB, RT and even ILB. Shelby Harris flashed every time he touched the field, and the advanced metrics back it up (81 PFF grade). If he can build on last season, he is starter material. Especially as a pass rusher.

I agree DE wouldn’t be a top 3 need given how bad our needs at QB/ILB/OL (T) still are.   Given Shelby is only signed for 1 more year though it would become #4 instead of 3rd WR / TE / depth elsewhere, and come 2019, could easily be a top need, that’s all - which does affect draft planning.  

Our cap space isn’t so great that we can realistically address all needs (30M sounds good in a vacuum but it actually puts us around 23-25 range team-wise) so adding another need does impact our planning, or at least our realistic projections for the team in 2018.  

Erick Galko

From what I’ve heard, and I asked a lot of people this week, It seems it’s more likely than not that Kirk plays for the #Broncos next year. And the contract details mat be very interesting. Arizona in the mix as well. If they sign Kirk, I don’t expect a QB at 5.

https://mobile.twitter.com/OptimumScouting

you guys can have him 

9 hours ago, Dashing202 said:

Erick Galko

From what I’ve heard, and I asked a lot of people this week, It seems it’s more likely than not that Kirk plays for the #Broncos next year. And the contract details mat be very interesting. Arizona in the mix as well. If they sign Kirk, I don’t expect a QB at 5.

https://mobile.twitter.com/OptimumScouting

you guys can have him 

Everyone has fun speculating, but the reality is Broncos don't have the cap space for him, and they're much more than a QB away from a deep playoff run.  Making Cousins contract fit would cripple the teams ability to spend and fill other holes, we'd have to rely solely on draft picks, something the front office hasn't been good at doing of late.  With the amount of money, and years Cousins would cost, the amount of holes this team has left to fill, signing Cousins actually sets us back longer than a QB at 5th overall busting does.

1 hour ago, elliot878 said:

Everyone has fun speculating, but the reality is Broncos don't have the cap space for him, and they're much more than a QB away from a deep playoff run.  Making Cousins contract fit would cripple the teams ability to spend and fill other holes, we'd have to rely solely on draft picks, something the front office hasn't been good at doing of late.  With the amount of money, and years Cousins would cost, the amount of holes this team has left to fill, signing Cousins actually sets us back longer than a QB at 5th overall busting does.

What's the Broncos cap situation ?. 

If you release Thomas and talib that creates more cap . 

I want Denver to sign cousins you guys can have him.

43 minutes ago, Dashing202 said:

What's the Broncos cap situation ?. 

If you release Thomas and talib that creates more cap . 

I want Denver to sign cousins you guys can have him.

Right now we have $28.5MM in cap space

We're not going to release DeMaryius Thomas, or at least I would be shocked if we did. However, he is a candidate for a restructure to free up some cap space. Right now, his cap number for 2018 is $12MM. A restructure can free up $3-4MM I would assume. 

Emmanuel Sanders seems as good as gone. Dave Logan, who has some pretty good sources, said as much the other day. I also don't think Sanders wants to stay here, he's ready for a chance of scenery. Releasing him straight out would save us $5.5MM ($10.9 cap number minus $5.4MM in dead money) but we could trade him and get the full $10.9MM off the books and get a mid-round draft pick in return. 

Aquib Talib has a $12MM cap number with only $1MM in dead money, meaning releasing him could free up $11MM. Extending him and moving some that money to future years could free up another $3 to $4MM, I would guesstimate. 

Anyone saying flat-out we cannot afford to sign Kirk Cousins is flat-out wrong. 

Whether signing him to a big contract is the best move for the franchise is debatable, but it is certainly doable. 

I haven't really come to a final decision as to what I personally think is the best move. There is an argument to be made for rolling the dice an under-sized rookie who has character concerns and comes from a gimmick offense because of the money situation. There is also an argument to be made to back up the Brinks trucks and go with the sure thing in Cousins. Both have their pluses and minuses. 

16 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Right now we have $28.5MM in cap space

We're not going to release DeMaryius Thomas, or at least I would be shocked if we did. However, he is a candidate for a restructure to free up some cap space. Right now, his cap number for 2018 is $12MM. A restructure can free up $3-4MM I would assume. 

Emmanuel Sanders seems as good as gone. Dave Logan, who has some pretty good sources, said as much the other day. I also don't think Sanders wants to stay here, he's ready for a chance of scenery. Releasing him straight out would save us $5.5MM ($10.9 cap number minus $5.4MM in dead money) but we could trade him and get the full $10.9MM off the books and get a mid-round draft pick in return. 

Aquib Talib has a $12MM cap number with only $1MM in dead money, meaning releasing him could free up $11MM. Extending him and moving some that money to future years could free up another $3 to $4MM, I would guesstimate. 

Anyone saying flat-out we cannot afford to sign Kirk Cousins is flat-out wrong. 

Whether signing him to a big contract is the best move for the franchise is debatable, but it is certainly doable. 

I haven't really come to a final decision as to what I personally think is the best move. There is an argument to be made for rolling the dice an under-sized rookie who has character concerns and comes from a gimmick offense because of the money situation. There is also an argument to be made to back up the Brinks trucks and go with the sure thing in Cousins. Both have their pluses and minuses. 

Yeah, I think if the Broncos really want Cousins they will get it done.  

Would love to see Talib and Thomas restructure. 

I'd actually hate to see Sanders go, but I get why he has to.  But, who would be his replacement?  Perhaps, Cody finally comes around?  But he doesn't have Sanders' quickness.  Nevertheless, if Sanders goes, then WR becomes a need especially after signing a franchise QB. 

I'm hoping that Denver / SF work something out. We have the flexibility to give you guys some needed cap space (especially if you want Cousins) and could give you a little something as opposed to just releasing a guy like Talib and Sanders (wouldn't be much of course, though I'm secretly hoping elway goes nuts and puts Harris up on the market lol), both of whom I think would be good fits for the niners. We also have armstead who lacks a place now that we've moved out of the 3-4, but you guys could have a need for a 34 end as I understand it. Plus the two teams have a good relationship with one another. I'd be very surprised if some sort of trade isn't worked out this off-season. Lots of ways the pieces fit together

2 hours ago, Forge said:

I'm hoping that Denver / SF work something out. We have the flexibility to give you guys some needed cap space (especially if you want Cousins) and could give you a little something as opposed to just releasing a guy like Talib and Sanders (wouldn't be much of course, though I'm secretly hoping elway goes nuts and puts Harris up on the market lol), both of whom I think would be good fits for the niners. We also have armstead who lacks a place now that we've moved out of the 3-4, but you guys could have a need for a 34 end as I understand it. Plus the two teams have a good relationship with one another. I'd be very surprised if some sort of trade isn't worked out this off-season. Lots of ways the pieces fit together

The Niners make sense as a trading partner from a relationship standpoint, but I'm not sure where a trade would actually happen. Harris aint going anywhere, and if we move anyone I would see it as part of a larger trade up at some point in the draft. We may need a 3-4 end, and Armstead is intriguing, but I still am struggling to find a trade that works. Maybe if it's a Broncos player for a pick straight up?

21 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

The Niners make sense as a trading partner from a relationship standpoint, but I'm not sure where a trade would actually happen. Harris aint going anywhere, and if we move anyone I would see it as part of a larger trade up at some point in the draft. We may need a 3-4 end, and Armstead is intriguing, but I still am struggling to find a trade that works. Maybe if it's a Broncos player for a pick straight up?

Oh, the most likely would be talib and / or Sanders for a draft capital. Those two are highly unlikely to be on your roster at the start of the year, and both fill needs for us. We have the draft capital and the money to take them on without worry, and the relationship helps. We would throw something at elway just to get them before they are released. Talib isn't likely to fetch much given the near certainty of his release,  not sure about Sanders though...while it's likely he's gone, I don't think it's the very certainty that talib is. 

Further proof that Kirk Cousins is going to be Plan A for Elway & Co., Mike Klis is reporting that we're going to put Aquib Talib and his $12MM 2018 salary on the trading block. 

Although Talib has two years left on the six-year, $57 million contract he signed with the Broncos in March 2014, Denver is expected to place him on the trading block because of financial considerations.

48 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Further proof that Kirk Cousins is going to be Plan A for Elway & Co., Mike Klis is reporting that we're going to put Aquib Talib and his $12MM 2018 salary on the trading block. 

Cutting Talib has been on the cards for a long time - if we can get a draft pick all the better (and the only way we really do that is if there is a team who want him but would be afraid if he cut he goes somewhere else).

I think Talib could net us a R4-R5 pick in 2019. I especially think LAR and SF may look to trade for his services.

It will be sad to see him go, but its a move that needs to happen if we want to sign Kirk. We have been waiting for years to see Roby take that spot and run with it, if he isn't ready now he never will be.

12 minutes ago, jolly red giant said:

Cutting Talib has been on the cards for a long time - if we can get a draft pick all the better (and the only way we really do that is if there is a team who want him but would be afraid if he cut he goes somewhere else).

Oh I agree it has been something that has been out there and discussed for a long time.

But, as I outlined the other day, we're sitting on $28.5MM in cap space before we make any moves. If we're going to draft one of the QBs at No. 5, why clear this $11MM in cap space that trading/releasing Talib? Sure he is on the back 9 of his career but he sure didn't show any signs of regression last year, why get rid of him when he still a lot left in the tank and we have the funds to sign other free agents? 

Archived