2018 Free Agency Discussion Thread

AnAngryAmerican

2 minutes ago, FireVanceJoseph said:

That's just stupid and doesn't deserve a response. 

Oh bc paying the 19th best qb according to pff 30 million makes sense. Cousins needs to have a team like minn or the jags to be successful. Or go to the Browns who have a lower expectation.

17 hours ago, FireVanceJoseph said:

Keenum is an awful QB that shouldn't even be considered. The fact that he will get close to $20m somewhere is an absolute joke. Cousins IS a  clear-cut, definitively better QB than him. Elway might as well just quit immediately if he fails to land Cousins or Rosen because next season will be even more painful than this one.

I agree that Cousins is a better player than Keenum - but not that Keenum at 18m/yr for 1-2 years is an absolute joke.

What if Cousins and Rosen aren't in the cards for us? It's not inconceivable that Cousins chases the money to NY or CLE- or that he chases a ring and signs with MIN. 

Trading up for Rosen likely means trading up AHEAD of NYG who, by all accounts, seem likely to take him at 2. Trading up that far to get Rosen is going to hurt...  we'd lose A LOT of draft capital. This team is in no position to lose draft capital. 

I don't disagree that the Cousins/Rosen route may be the best solution to the QB problem- but I'm not convinced that the "Elway, do whatever it takes to get Cousins/Rosen or kick rocks" philosophy is in this team's best interests. 

50 minutes ago, bMiller031 said:

I agree that Cousins is a better player than Keenum - but not that Keenum at 18m/yr for 1-2 years is an absolute joke.

What if Cousins and Rosen aren't in the cards for us? It's not inconceivable that Cousins chases the money to NY or CLE- or that he chases a ring and signs with MIN. 

Trading up for Rosen likely means trading up AHEAD of NYG who, by all accounts, seem likely to take him at 2. Trading up that far to get Rosen is going to hurt...  we'd lose A LOT of draft capital. This team is in no position to lose draft capital. 

I don't disagree that the Cousins/Rosen route may be the best solution to the QB problem- but I'm not convinced that the "Elway, do whatever it takes to get Cousins/Rosen or kick rocks" philosophy is in this team's best interests. 

Keenum has been awful outside of this year. He wasn't even that good this year. No GM in their right mind should ever give Keenum more than $5m a year to be anything but a backup. Unfortunately, Elway isn't in his right mind it seems. Not only did he hire VJ but he decided to give that moron another year. Cousins and Rosen are the only two QBs worth going after this year and its not even close. If those two can't be acquired then Elway should just fill other holes and tank to get the best QB in next year's draft.

1 hour ago, FireVanceJoseph said:

Keenum has been awful outside of this year. He wasn't even that good this year. No GM in their right mind should ever give Keenum more than $5m a year to be anything but a backup. Unfortunately, Elway isn't in his right mind it seems. Not only did he hire VJ but he decided to give that moron another year. Cousins and Rosen are the only two QBs worth going after this year and its not even close. If those two can't be acquired then Elway should just fill other holes and tank to get the best QB in next year's draft.

There was one reason to fire Joseph - he wasn't any good - however, there were many reasons not to fire him.

Elway is known as the coach killer - and firing Joseph would have just confirmed that and undermined the chances of getting a decent replacement.

Firing Joseph would have put the Broncos in the hole for maybe $15million (depending on the terms of the contract) - and it would have probably required replacing Woods and Musgrave as it is unlikely any coach would have come in without being able to bring his own assistants.

Firing Joseph would have continued the turmoil and mitigated against bringing in FAs

Firing Joseph would have resulted in the Broncos not coaching the Senior Bowl (now I don't think this is as important as it is made out in terms of drafting players - I think the big advantage is figuring out guys you definitely don't want to draft)

And i am sure others could add reasons.

Lastly - tanking next season is not an option - if you adopt that attitude you could end up tanking every single season - nobody has ever been able to tank and then build (and to be honest I doubt if any team has ever deliberately tanked a season).

3 hours ago, bMiller031 said:

+10000000000000

This team is not a QB away from SB 53.

Fans want Cousins but we are not the best suiters

Everybody want to cut DT but if we land Cousins we need to cut Talib and Sanders and perhaps DT if not restructure !! We have a long shot to be a contenders with Cousins.

I prefer to go with a rookie at 1.5 and sign a OL to be more effective. the rookie need to play immediately even if not ready. Take reps to be ready in year 2. We are not a contender for 2018 too many holes. ILB , 2nd and 3rd WR , OL , CB and S if Stewart is gone.

Everybody need to look at this team and say ....ok we are not shy fo playoff and superbowl. We have play 2 SB in 3 years the window is close now

1 hour ago, jolly red giant said:

There was one reason to fire Joseph - he wasn't any good - however, there were many reasons not to fire him.

Elway is known as the coach killer - and firing Joseph would have just confirmed that and undermined the chances of getting a decent replacement.

Firing Joseph would have put the Broncos in the hole for maybe $15million (depending on the terms of the contract) - and it would have probably required replacing Woods and Musgrave as it is unlikely any coach would have come in without being able to bring his own assistants.

Firing Joseph would have continued the turmoil and mitigated against bringing in FAs

Firing Joseph would have resulted in the Broncos not coaching the Senior Bowl (now I don't think this is as important as it is made out in terms of drafting players - I think the big advantage is figuring out guys you definitely don't want to draft)

And i am sure others could add reasons.

Lastly - tanking next season is not an option - if you adopt that attitude you could end up tanking every single season - nobody has ever been able to tank and then build (and to be honest I doubt if any team has ever deliberately tanked a season).

There was absolutely no reason to keep that moron for another year so stop trying to make excuses for Elway. If you don't want to tank and want to win, you go big and get Cousins or Rosen. If you fail to do that, you're still going to suck. Those are just facts.

i do not want to trade up to get rosen. I personally don't want rosen. i think cousins could take us to the playoffs and beyond. don't care for the 30 mill contract  but think u guys are crazy if u don't think we win with cousins. look at 1st 3 games. don't turn ball over and defense top 5. other games defense always,on field. 

agree I don't want keenum. 1 good year. eh. and if we go rookie I think it's  Allen or mayfield. 

18 hours ago, FireVanceJoseph said:

There was absolutely no reason to keep that moron for another year so stop trying to make excuses for Elway. If you don't want to tank and want to win, you go big and get Cousins or Rosen. If you fail to do that, you're still going to suck. Those are just facts.

Just curious - if you were GM of the Broncos, how would you approach the next 3 years?

1 hour ago, The Helicopter said:

Just curious - if you were GM of the Broncos, how would you approach the next 3 years?

Depends on whether or not I get Kirk Cousins. VJ is gone after next season no matter what. If I can't get Cousins, I'm trading up to get Rosen and then going for a minor rebuild around him.Gotta get rid of some bad contracts either way.

This is by no means me saying that I want us to get Cousins; I actually don't. However - you can't make a decision on signing a QB based on where you think you are right now in my opinion. If you think Cousins is a good enough QB, go and get him.

'Who you are' is a very, very fluid concept in the NFL. It changes quicker than in any team sport I've ever known. All it takes is for one draft like the Saints this past year (Lattimore, Ramczyk, Williams, Kamara) and you're in business. I know this type of draft class is rare, but nevertheless - teams can change quickly and it's surprising how everyone gets better on Offense with better QB play.

5 minutes ago, FireVanceJoseph said:

Depends on whether or not I get Kirk Cousins. VJ is gone after next season no matter what. If I can't get Cousins, I'm trading up to get Rosen and then going for a minor rebuild around him.Gotta get rid of some bad contracts either way.

Pretty tough to move up and have much draft capital left. Just to move up to pick #3 would take our 1st and 2nd this year. I just don't see how we can add much OL talent in the draft then.

Archived