4th Quarter Mock 2018

Madmike90

Now that we know who the coordinators are going to be here is my final mock before the combine…I have also gone with a pretty cheap free agency so we can resign Fuller and extend Goldman long term and due to the fact I truly believe Pace & Nagy are going to build through the draft and use the teachers we are bringing in as coaches to get guys up to speed...I think we could also see more UDFA than ever making the roster and replacing some of the older guys at the bottom of this depth chart.

Resign…

RB…Benny Cunningham

WR…Dontrelle Inman

WR…Kendall Wright

DE…Mitch Unrein

ILB…Christian Jones

OLB…Lamarr Houston

OLB…Sam Acho

CB…Prince Amukamara

CB…Kyle Fuller

P…Pat O'Donnell

LS…Andrew DePaola

Cunningham is the perfect #3 back in the NFL because he does everything well…Inman will make a solid #4/#5…Wright was our best WR last year and has a decent connection with Trubisky…Unrein is solid depth and again bring ST value…Jones has really started to come along…Houston played well enough that on a vet min contract I would give him a shot as a reserve…Aho is the new Idonije…awesome teammate who does a bit of everything…shocked to see he had 17 QBP last season…Amukamara has played pretty well when he has been out there…just needs to stay healthy…same goes for Fuller who again has really stepped up…O’Donnell has quietly became a very good punter this year…DePaola gets the job done.

Let Walk…

QB…Mark Sanchez

WR…Josh Bellamy

TE…Zach Miller

OT…Bradley Sowell

OG…Tom Compton

DL…John Jenkins

CB…Sherrick McManis

K…Mike Nugent

Sanchez just isn’t good enough to be a #2…time for Bellamy to go…Miller obviously isn’t returning…Sowell & Compton are both backups who lose out to younger options with more upside…Jenkins doesn’t offer much…McManis could still make the team on ST ability alone but hopefully he loses out to a better defender…Nugent can be upgraded.

Release…

QB…Mike Glennon

WR…Markus Wheaton

TE…Dion Sims

OG…Josh Sitton

ILB…Jerrell Freeman

OLB…Pernell McPhee

CB…Marcus Cooper

S…Quintin Demps

Glennon is an obvious cut at $18 million next season…Wheaton is being paid for nother…Sims just isn’t worth the money…Sitton is the most interesting one…he will be 32 years old and has started to show some signs of injury…he is making $8.6 million next season…Freeman has one too many bans…McPhee is just too injury prone to pay…Cooper started out okay but his play really fell off and he isn’t worth the month…Demps has shown nothing but he is not as active as Amos at SS.

Free Agents…

QB…Drew Stanton…6-3” 233lbs…

Trubisky is off to a solid start as a starter but we need to bring in a backup who can guide him through the tough times…that is not Glennon or Sanchez…Stanton on the other hand is a QB who shares more of a skill set with Trubisky showing the ability to bootleg and move around in the pocket…he would be a solid fit in Nagy’s scheme and hopefully a quality clipboard holder.

WR…Brice Butler…6-3” 215lbs…

I am always extremely wary of overpaying WRs in free agency…it seems like every year we see at least one or two guys completely bust…last year it was Pryor…I get the impression it could be a number of guys this year and I don’t want us to be the ones paying for it…Butler is a high potential guy who has done nothing but maximise his opportunities…in Dallas last year he went for 317 yards on just 15 receptions for an average of just over 21 YPC and turned 3 of those 15 into TDs…he is the deep threat we were looking for when we drafted Kevin White and that will be extremely important in this offence.

WR…Albert Wilson…5-9” 200lbs…

More help for Trubisky in the form of Wilson…with Matt Nagy coming from KC signing a player who knows the scheme would be big…Wilson is a jack of all trades who can play in the slot to compete with Kendall Wright but also has lined up in the backfield in KC…with him and Cohen lining up all over the formation it creates mismatches which is exactly what Trubisky wants to take advantage of.

TE…Troy Niklas…6-6” 270lbs…

One of the most underrated players in the entire NFL IMO…TE might not be a huge need but Niklas would be an excellent addition to this team…he has been buried on the Cardinals depth chart but brining him here and putting him alongside Shaheen & Simms would give us an excellent group of TEs who can really do it all…Niklas would be an excellent help in both the run game and as a pass blocker for Trubisky…also has the skills to be a target in the short to intermediate passing game.

DL…DaQuan Jones…6-4” 323lbs…

Signing Akiem Hicks was a master stroke by Pace and this move would be similar…Jones is another huge man to put upfront next to Hicks and Goldman which would give him one on one matchups…against the running having basically half a ton of power in your front 3 can never be a bad thing and would allow our LBs to run sideline to sideline untouched…when rushing the passer he can use his sheer size advantage when singled up on guards and take to walk them back or at the very least tie them up to give other’s like the OLBs more opportunity to work.

DL…Justin Ellis…6-2” 335lbs…

Goldman should be in line for a new contract and with Hicks already signed the nickel DL looks really good however the depth is pretty non-existent…Unrien is solid but depth only…Bullard has potential but hasn’t put it together yet…RRH hasn’t shown much either so finding some quality depth would make a ton of sense…Ellis is a big aggressive interior defender who has experience in both a 3-4 & 4-3…he has played DE and NT in the 3-4 and if he was starting would allow Goldman to move to the 3 tech…if not he gives us someone to spell Goldman and keep him fresh.

ILB…Kevin Minter…6-0” 245lbs…

We have to replace the loss of Freeman and our best route to do that would be in FA so we can add experience and leadership to our LB core…especially since when Trevathan isn’t on the field our D looks lost…I mocked Minter to us last season because I think he is a really solid pro inside…his move to the Bengals from AZ didn’t really work out but he follows Haslett here and get’s back to being in a 3-4 D where he can make a bigger impact…his leadership will be his biggest selling point.

CB…Ross Cockrell…6-0” 190lbs…

Another one of the more underrated players in the NFL…I was really surprised when the Steelers let Cockrell go to the Giants because he was their best CB…I have been a fan of his since he was coming out of Duke and while he isn’t a great athlete he plays with a ton of moxy and understands how to run the routes of the receivers…we know we will need a ton of DBs because of how Fangio uses them in rotation.

Draft…

Bears Trade 8th Overall Pick to Washington for 13th Overall, 3rd & 4th round picks in 2018 Draft as…

Rumour has it Jay Gruden might have been let go this offseason had it not been for so many injuries…I expect Cousins to test the FA market and end up with a contender like the Jags or Broncos meaning Gruden will be desperate to find a QB in order to keep his job.

Round 1 (via WAS)…

WR…Calvin Ridley…6-0” 190lbs…Alabama…

There are so many directions we can go in with this pick but one thing is for sure…for Nagy’s offence to work we are going to need speed and playmakers…we simply don’t have anything like enough speed and talent on the outside for his offence to work…Ridley has been massively held back by incompetent QB play at Bama but you can see all the traits you need in an elite WR…his speed is outstanding and when he gets on top of a CB it’s over…the ability and route running skills allow him to gain further separation and his hands are sticky…yes you would love him to be more physical but if he was he would be going top 5…Ridley’s speed is what we need to take that additional man out the box and get the running game going as well as all the underneath stuff to the likes of Shaheen and Meredith…I see a little Marvin Harrison in him.

Round 2…

OLB…Sam Hubbard…6-4” 265lbs…Ohio State…

With Fangio back we know we are going to have a pretty basic defence that will rely on guys winning one on one battles to get to the QB…adding two huge defensive linemen helps tie up blocks and we got surprisingly good play from Houston & Acho down the stretch last year but we need someone to pair with Floyd who can really apply pressure from the edge…enter Hubbard who offers fantastic speed off the edge…his agility allows him to stunt and get skinny to attach all gaps…I think his skill set is far better suited to standing up than it was to playing with his hand in the dirt…he reminds me of Connor Barwin coming out of Cinncy.

Bears trade 3rd (via WAS) + 5th round pick to Buffalo for 2nd round pick…

Round 2 (via BUF)…

OG…Braden Smith…6-6” 303lbs…Auburn…

Keeping Trubisky upright has to be our number one concern moving forward because he really is the franchise…we have to get younger on the interior and Sitton is also making far too much money to justify him staying…we also need to become more athletic for Nagy’s offence to work…Smith isn’t built like your average OG and looks a lot like Kyle Long when he was coming out of Oregon…Smith shares the same tackle like body and athletic ability coupled with a nasty streak and power as a drive blocker…if your going to hire one of the best OL coaches in the world why not give him guys with athletic upside and let him go to work.

Round 4…

OT…Will Richardson…6-6” 323lbs…North Carolina State…

More OL help that follows the same principles as Smith…draft big, athletic, physical offensive linemen who have experience and talent and let HH mold them into stars…Richardson falls into that category…he plays RT at NC state so there would be no transition to trying to drop to his right…he brings the size and athletic ability of Massie but plays with better technique being ranked at the 16th best OT in the NCAA in pass pro but PFF…take that as you will but he passes the eye ball test and is more battle tested than any OT having to go up against Bradly Chubb in practice so often.

Round 4 (via Was)…

ILB… Micah Kiser…6-2” 240lbs…Virginia…

You can have really good players at the LB position…we have some really solid guys…but one of the things we are massively lacking at LB is a leader outside of DT59…with his injury past any time he is not in the game we look lost…we need someone who not only has the physical ability to be a tackling machine at ILB but also the mentality of a leader…Kiser is that…he had lead the ACC in tackles the last 3 years in a row…19 sacks from ILB in 37 games alongside 32.5 TFL so production is not an issue…Kiser has also shown outstanding leadership even winning the Campbell trophy given to the nations best player in the country for academic success, football performance and exemplary community leadership…that is a guy I want on my team and I would fully expect him to take over from Minter as a starter by the mid-way point of the season at the latest.

Round 4…

CB…J.C Jackson…6-0” 193lbs…Maryland…

Time for a gamble on talent…J.C Jackson was a highly recruited prospect who signed with Florida out of high school but then ran into off the field issues and transferred to Maryland…there is a ton of Marcus Peters to this guy…size, length, speed, agility, physicality, ball skills, aggression and swagger…he has everything you could want to be a #1 CB in the NFL but those redflags will drop him and might make him a wasted pick but at some point the rewards start to outweigh the risk…bring him into what should be a strong dressing room with Fangio, Donatell, Hicks, DT59 & Acho and you could have a top quality CB on your hands.

Round 6…

K…Daniel Carlson…6-4” 218lbs…Auburn…

Here so finding a long-term solution would be a good idea…Carlson is the best kicker in the nation IMO.

Round 7…

RB…Jarvion Franklin…6-0” 225lbs…Western Michigan…

The running game will continue to be just as important under Nagy as it was under Fox but for very different reasons…we may not see as many runs but we will see a more effective running attack used to set up the playaction and deep passes…Howard’s numbers have been down a little this year but only because teams have not had to worry about our passing game enough not to simply load the box and bottle up the run…I expect that to change and I also expect us to take some of the load off of Howard and make him a more effective runner rather than a volume one…Franklin is a very similar back and would give us another power runner in the backfield allowing us to use both he and Howard to pound teams then sprinkle in a little Cohen at both RB, WR and in any other spot we think we can get him in space.

Depth Chart…

QB…Mitch Trubisky…Drew Stanton                        

RB…Jordan Howard…Jarvion Franklin…Benny Cummingham

OW…Tarik Cohen                                                            

WR…Cameron Meredith…Brice Butler…Dontrelle Inman

WR…Calvin Ridley…Kevin White               

WR…Albert Wilson…Kendall Wright         

TE…Adam Shaheen…Troy Niklas…Daniel Brown

LT…Charles Leno                                                            

LG…Braden Smith…Jordan Morgan                          

C…Cody Whitehair…Hroniss Grasu                           

RG…Kyle Long                                                   

RT…Will Richardson…Bobby Massie                       

LE…Akiem Hicks …Mitch Unrein                 

NT…Eddie Goldman…Justin Ellis                

RE…DaQuan Jones…Jonathan Bullard                     

LOLB…Leonard Floyd…Sam Acho              

ILB…Danny Trevathan…Nick Kwiatkoski                 

ILB…Kevin Minter…Micah Kizer…Christian Jones                

ROLB…Sam Hubbard…Lamarr Houston

NB…Kyle Fuller…Bryce Callahan                

CB…Prince Amukamara…J.C Jackson                      

CB…Ross Cockrell…Cre'Von LeBlanc                         

SS…Adrian Amos…Deon Bush                    

FS…Eddie Jackson…Deiondre' Hall…Deandre Houston-Carson     

P…Pat O'Donnell

K…Daniel Carlson

LS…Andrew DePaola

So Fuller would only be on the outside when in base, right? Then slide in to NB when we go nickel or dime? If so I like that rotation.

I'm happy with the draft, Sam Hubbard is a guy I would love in the 2nd. Ridley is obviously one I am a fan of.

Love the size and power added in at the DL. I never realized Jones was an UFA this year, completely overlooked him.

I see Meredith on the depth so he is signed as a RFA. Would you wait to re-sign him long term of go for it now?

1 minute ago, Sugashane said:

So Fuller would only be on the outside when in base, right? Then slide in to NB when we go nickel or dime? If so I like that rotation.

I'm happy with the draft, Sam Hubbard is a guy I would love in the 2nd. Ridley is obviously one I am a fan of.

Love the size and power added in at the DL. I never realized Jones was an UFA this year, completely overlooked him.

I see Meredith on the depth so he is signed as a RFA. Would you wait to re-sign him long term of go for it now?

Yeah Fuller would play LCB in base with Prince or Cockrell at RCB in base...Fuller is so versatile that moving him into the nickel would allow us to do so much with him...

It's difficult with Cam without being in the building and knowing how that knee is going to hold up...also depends on what he is looking for long term and the structure of the deal but I think he can be successful in this offence of healthy.

Just now, Madmike90 said:

Yeah Fuller would play LCB in base with Prince or Cockrell at RCB in base...Fuller is so versatile that moving him into the nickel would allow us to do so much with him...

It's difficult with Cam without being in the building and knowing how that knee is going to hold up...also depends on what he is looking for long term and the structure of the deal but I think he can be successful in this offence of healthy.

I thought so, I'm a fan of that logic since he was the utility defender back at VT.

True, I'll say I'd lock him up if he was doing really well in training camp. By then he is plenty functional (on average) but won't be 100%. If he is moving well at that point it would be a pretty good indicator.

4 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

I thought so, I'm a fan of that logic since he was the utility defender back at VT.

True, I'll say I'd lock him up if he was doing really well in training camp. By then he is plenty functional (on average) but won't be 100%. If he is moving well at that point it would be a pretty good indicator.

I think we are in a strong position with him where we could tag him and if he plays well the first 6-8 games then we tie him up long term...much like Philly did with Alshon...

I think we are going to start being a team who pay our own and don't go big in FA.

6 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I think we are in a strong position with him where we could tag him and if he plays well the first 6-8 games then we tie him up long term...much like Philly did with Alshon...

I think we are going to start being a team who pay our own and don't go big in FA.

Now that we are actually consistently drafting players that don't suck I agree. lol

On 1/12/2018 at 5:50 PM, Madmike90 said:

Now that we know who the coordinators are going to be here is my final mock before the combine…I have also gone with a pretty cheap free agency so we can resign Fuller and extend Goldman long term and due to the fact I truly believe Pace & Nagy are going to build through the draft and use the teachers we are bringing in as coaches to get guys up to speed...I think we could also see more UDFA than ever making the roster and replacing some of the older guys at the bottom of this depth chart.

Resign…

RB…Benny Cunningham

WR…Dontrelle Inman

WR…Kendall Wright

DE…Mitch Unrein

ILB…Christian Jones

OLB…Lamarr Houston

OLB…Sam Acho

CB…Prince Amukamara

CB…Kyle Fuller

P…Pat O'Donnell

LS…Andrew DePaola

Cunningham is the perfect #3 back in the NFL because he does everything well…Inman will make a solid #4/#5…Wright was our best WR last year and has a decent connection with Trubisky…Unrein is solid depth and again bring ST value…Jones has really started to come along…Houston played well enough that on a vet min contract I would give him a shot as a reserve…Aho is the new Idonije…awesome teammate who does a bit of everything…shocked to see he had 17 QBP last season…Amukamara has played pretty well when he has been out there…just needs to stay healthy…same goes for Fuller who again has really stepped up…O’Donnell has quietly became a very good punter this year…DePaola gets the job done.

Let Walk…

QB…Mark Sanchez

WR…Josh Bellamy

TE…Zach Miller

OT…Bradley Sowell

OG…Tom Compton

DL…John Jenkins

CB…Sherrick McManis

K…Mike Nugent

Sanchez just isn’t good enough to be a #2…time for Bellamy to go…Miller obviously isn’t returning…Sowell & Compton are both backups who lose out to younger options with more upside…Jenkins doesn’t offer much…McManis could still make the team on ST ability alone but hopefully he loses out to a better defender…Nugent can be upgraded.

Release…

QB…Mike Glennon

WR…Markus Wheaton

TE…Dion Sims

OG…Josh Sitton

ILB…Jerrell Freeman

OLB…Pernell McPhee

CB…Marcus Cooper

S…Quintin Demps

Glennon is an obvious cut at $18 million next season…Wheaton is being paid for nother…Sims just isn’t worth the money…Sitton is the most interesting one…he will be 32 years old and has started to show some signs of injury…he is making $8.6 million next season…Freeman has one too many bans…McPhee is just too injury prone to pay…Cooper started out okay but his play really fell off and he isn’t worth the month…Demps has shown nothing but he is not as active as Amos at SS.

Free Agents…

QB…Drew Stanton…6-3” 233lbs…

Trubisky is off to a solid start as a starter but we need to bring in a backup who can guide him through the tough times…that is not Glennon or Sanchez…Stanton on the other hand is a QB who shares more of a skill set with Trubisky showing the ability to bootleg and move around in the pocket…he would be a solid fit in Nagy’s scheme and hopefully a quality clipboard holder.

WR…Brice Butler…6-3” 215lbs…

I am always extremely wary of overpaying WRs in free agency…it seems like every year we see at least one or two guys completely bust…last year it was Pryor…I get the impression it could be a number of guys this year and I don’t want us to be the ones paying for it…Butler is a high potential guy who has done nothing but maximise his opportunities…in Dallas last year he went for 317 yards on just 15 receptions for an average of just over 21 YPC and turned 3 of those 15 into TDs…he is the deep threat we were looking for when we drafted Kevin White and that will be extremely important in this offence.

WR…Albert Wilson…5-9” 200lbs…

More help for Trubisky in the form of Wilson…with Matt Nagy coming from KC signing a player who knows the scheme would be big…Wilson is a jack of all trades who can play in the slot to compete with Kendall Wright but also has lined up in the backfield in KC…with him and Cohen lining up all over the formation it creates mismatches which is exactly what Trubisky wants to take advantage of.

TE…Troy Niklas…6-6” 270lbs…

One of the most underrated players in the entire NFL IMO…TE might not be a huge need but Niklas would be an excellent addition to this team…he has been buried on the Cardinals depth chart but brining him here and putting him alongside Shaheen & Simms would give us an excellent group of TEs who can really do it all…Niklas would be an excellent help in both the run game and as a pass blocker for Trubisky…also has the skills to be a target in the short to intermediate passing game.

DL…DaQuan Jones…6-4” 323lbs…

Signing Akiem Hicks was a master stroke by Pace and this move would be similar…Jones is another huge man to put upfront next to Hicks and Goldman which would give him one on one matchups…against the running having basically half a ton of power in your front 3 can never be a bad thing and would allow our LBs to run sideline to sideline untouched…when rushing the passer he can use his sheer size advantage when singled up on guards and take to walk them back or at the very least tie them up to give other’s like the OLBs more opportunity to work.

DL…Justin Ellis…6-2” 335lbs…

Goldman should be in line for a new contract and with Hicks already signed the nickel DL looks really good however the depth is pretty non-existent…Unrien is solid but depth only…Bullard has potential but hasn’t put it together yet…RRH hasn’t shown much either so finding some quality depth would make a ton of sense…Ellis is a big aggressive interior defender who has experience in both a 3-4 & 4-3…he has played DE and NT in the 3-4 and if he was starting would allow Goldman to move to the 3 tech…if not he gives us someone to spell Goldman and keep him fresh.

ILB…Kevin Minter…6-0” 245lbs…

We have to replace the loss of Freeman and our best route to do that would be in FA so we can add experience and leadership to our LB core…especially since when Trevathan isn’t on the field our D looks lost…I mocked Minter to us last season because I think he is a really solid pro inside…his move to the Bengals from AZ didn’t really work out but he follows Haslett here and get’s back to being in a 3-4 D where he can make a bigger impact…his leadership will be his biggest selling point.

CB…Ross Cockrell…6-0” 190lbs…

Another one of the more underrated players in the NFL…I was really surprised when the Steelers let Cockrell go to the Giants because he was their best CB…I have been a fan of his since he was coming out of Duke and while he isn’t a great athlete he plays with a ton of moxy and understands how to run the routes of the receivers…we know we will need a ton of DBs because of how Fangio uses them in rotation.

Draft…

Bears Trade 8th Overall Pick to Washington for 13th Overall, 3rd & 4th round picks in 2018 Draft as…

Rumour has it Jay Gruden might have been let go this offseason had it not been for so many injuries…I expect Cousins to test the FA market and end up with a contender like the Jags or Broncos meaning Gruden will be desperate to find a QB in order to keep his job.

Round 1 (via WAS)…

WR…Calvin Ridley…6-0” 190lbs…Alabama…

There are so many directions we can go in with this pick but one thing is for sure…for Nagy’s offence to work we are going to need speed and playmakers…we simply don’t have anything like enough speed and talent on the outside for his offence to work…Ridley has been massively held back by incompetent QB play at Bama but you can see all the traits you need in an elite WR…his speed is outstanding and when he gets on top of a CB it’s over…the ability and route running skills allow him to gain further separation and his hands are sticky…yes you would love him to be more physical but if he was he would be going top 5…Ridley’s speed is what we need to take that additional man out the box and get the running game going as well as all the underneath stuff to the likes of Shaheen and Meredith…I see a little Marvin Harrison in him.

Round 2…

OLB…Sam Hubbard…6-4” 265lbs…Ohio State…

With Fangio back we know we are going to have a pretty basic defence that will rely on guys winning one on one battles to get to the QB…adding two huge defensive linemen helps tie up blocks and we got surprisingly good play from Houston & Acho down the stretch last year but we need someone to pair with Floyd who can really apply pressure from the edge…enter Hubbard who offers fantastic speed off the edge…his agility allows him to stunt and get skinny to attach all gaps…I think his skill set is far better suited to standing up than it was to playing with his hand in the dirt…he reminds me of Connor Barwin coming out of Cinncy.

Bears trade 3rd (via WAS) + 5th round pick to Buffalo for 2nd round pick…

Round 2 (via BUF)…

OG…Braden Smith…6-6” 303lbs…Auburn…

Keeping Trubisky upright has to be our number one concern moving forward because he really is the franchise…we have to get younger on the interior and Sitton is also making far too much money to justify him staying…we also need to become more athletic for Nagy’s offence to work…Smith isn’t built like your average OG and looks a lot like Kyle Long when he was coming out of Oregon…Smith shares the same tackle like body and athletic ability coupled with a nasty streak and power as a drive blocker…if your going to hire one of the best OL coaches in the world why not give him guys with athletic upside and let him go to work.

Round 4…

OT…Will Richardson…6-6” 323lbs…North Carolina State…

More OL help that follows the same principles as Smith…draft big, athletic, physical offensive linemen who have experience and talent and let HH mold them into stars…Richardson falls into that category…he plays RT at NC state so there would be no transition to trying to drop to his right…he brings the size and athletic ability of Massie but plays with better technique being ranked at the 16th best OT in the NCAA in pass pro but PFF…take that as you will but he passes the eye ball test and is more battle tested than any OT having to go up against Bradly Chubb in practice so often.

Round 4 (via Was)…

ILB… Micah Kiser…6-2” 240lbs…Virginia…

You can have really good players at the LB position…we have some really solid guys…but one of the things we are massively lacking at LB is a leader outside of DT59…with his injury past any time he is not in the game we look lost…we need someone who not only has the physical ability to be a tackling machine at ILB but also the mentality of a leader…Kiser is that…he had lead the ACC in tackles the last 3 years in a row…19 sacks from ILB in 37 games alongside 32.5 TFL so production is not an issue…Kiser has also shown outstanding leadership even winning the Campbell trophy given to the nations best player in the country for academic success, football performance and exemplary community leadership…that is a guy I want on my team and I would fully expect him to take over from Minter as a starter by the mid-way point of the season at the latest.

Round 4…

CB…J.C Jackson…6-0” 193lbs…Maryland…

Time for a gamble on talent…J.C Jackson was a highly recruited prospect who signed with Florida out of high school but then ran into off the field issues and transferred to Maryland…there is a ton of Marcus Peters to this guy…size, length, speed, agility, physicality, ball skills, aggression and swagger…he has everything you could want to be a #1 CB in the NFL but those redflags will drop him and might make him a wasted pick but at some point the rewards start to outweigh the risk…bring him into what should be a strong dressing room with Fangio, Donatell, Hicks, DT59 & Acho and you could have a top quality CB on your hands.

Round 6…

K…Daniel Carlson…6-4” 218lbs…Auburn…

Here so finding a long-term solution would be a good idea…Carlson is the best kicker in the nation IMO.

Round 7…

RB…Jarvion Franklin…6-0” 225lbs…Western Michigan…

The running game will continue to be just as important under Nagy as it was under Fox but for very different reasons…we may not see as many runs but we will see a more effective running attack used to set up the playaction and deep passes…Howard’s numbers have been down a little this year but only because teams have not had to worry about our passing game enough not to simply load the box and bottle up the run…I expect that to change and I also expect us to take some of the load off of Howard and make him a more effective runner rather than a volume one…Franklin is a very similar back and would give us another power runner in the backfield allowing us to use both he and Howard to pound teams then sprinkle in a little Cohen at both RB, WR and in any other spot we think we can get him in space.

Depth Chart…

QB…Mitch Trubisky…Drew Stanton                        

RB…Jordan Howard…Jarvion Franklin…Benny Cummingham

OW…Tarik Cohen                                                            

WR…Cameron Meredith…Brice Butler…Dontrelle Inman

WR…Calvin Ridley…Kevin White               

WR…Albert Wilson…Kendall Wright         

TE…Adam Shaheen…Troy Niklas…Daniel Brown

LT…Charles Leno                                                            

LG…Braden Smith…Jordan Morgan                          

C…Cody Whitehair…Hroniss Grasu                           

RG…Kyle Long                                                   

RT…Will Richardson…Bobby Massie                       

LE…Akiem Hicks …Mitch Unrein                 

NT…Eddie Goldman…Justin Ellis                

RE…DaQuan Jones…Jonathan Bullard                     

LOLB…Leonard Floyd…Sam Acho              

ILB…Danny Trevathan…Nick Kwiatkoski                 

ILB…Kevin Minter…Micah Kizer…Christian Jones                

ROLB…Sam Hubbard…Lamarr Houston

NB…Kyle Fuller…Bryce Callahan                

CB…Prince Amukamara…J.C Jackson                      

CB…Ross Cockrell…Cre'Von LeBlanc                         

SS…Adrian Amos…Deon Bush                    

FS…Eddie Jackson…Deiondre' Hall…Deandre Houston-Carson     

P…Pat O'Donnell

K…Daniel Carlson

LS…Andrew DePaola

So Ryan Pace has to redraft a position high because he made a huge mistake at 7 with Kevin White who has played 4 games in 3 seasons. Some teams took White off their board completely because of injury concerns about his leg. Good offseason overall though you have made the Bears better even though I am not a big fan of drafting WR's in the first round as it is easier to find impact players at the position in the later rounds. I will be shocked if Hubbard doesn't go in the bottom part of Round 1 as pass rushers go higher than expected because of positional value. Still think the Bears eventually need a true impact linebacker to make this defense a true top 10 defense. Still don't think  Floyd has consistently been that player yet.

3 hours ago, TB 1 said:

So Ryan Pace has to redraft a position high because he made a huge mistake at 7 with Kevin White who has played 4 games in 3 seasons. Some teams took White off their board completely because of injury concerns about his leg. Good offseason overall though you have made the Bears better even though I am not a big fan of drafting WR's in the first round as it is easier to find impact players at the position in the later rounds. I will be shocked if Hubbard doesn't go in the bottom part of Round 1 as pass rushers go higher than expected because of positional value. Still think the Bears eventually need a true impact linebacker to make this defense a true top 10 defense. Still don't think  Floyd has consistently been that player yet.

He didn't make a huge mistake taking White at #7...it was the right play...no one took White off their boards for a leg injury because he had no major injury concerns when he was coming out of college...we need playmakers above all else in this draft so taking a WR high again is never something I love doing but it is essential that we find Trubisky help on the outside.

56 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

He didn't make a huge mistake taking White at #7...it was the right play...no one took White off their boards for a leg injury because he had no major injury concerns when he was coming out of college...we need playmakers above all else in this draft so taking a WR high again is never something I love doing but it is essential that we find Trubisky help on the outside.

We will have disagree taking a guy at 7 who only plays 4 games in 3 seasons is a very bad pick but we will have to forget about that now.  Though you did do a good job on this mock off season you have made the Bears  better but still don't know if they would beat out Green Bay with a healthy Rodgers and minnesota.

7 minutes ago, TB 1 said:

We will have disagree taking a guy at 7 who only plays 4 games in 3 seasons is a very bad pick but we will have to forget about that now.  Though you did do a good job on this mock off season you have made the Bears  better but still don't know if they would beat out Green Bay with a healthy Rodgers and minnesota.

There is no way of seeing if a guy if going to be injured or not when selecting him...especially if he has no history of injuries...

I don't feel year one we will top the Vikings...GB tho are 100% their for the taking...could I see us going 9-7 next year? Absolutely.

Nice job. I like Cockrell as a value starter pickup at corner as well, and Vic and Donatell have a lot of history with being successful with guys like that. 

Re: McPhee he’s a team captain and leader, and while I completely agree thy can’t bring him back at his current number I think he’s very much a candidate to try to restructure to a lower base salary with incentives for games played, sacks, etc. to earn back the money. On a pitch count he’s still an effective player. His base next year is $7.2M.

Spitballing, but restructure that to $2M for 2018, fully guaranteed, $62,500 bonus every regular season game he’s active ($1M over 16 games), and escalating bonuses at 6, 8 and 10 sacks. Also, in exchange for the restructure, agree to convert a noteworthy portion of his non-guaranteed base for 2019 into a noteworthy roster bonus due a week into the league year, essentially guaranteeing he’ll either get paid his full salary next year, get a new contract, or be released to test the market near the outset of FA. 

5 hours ago, TB 1 said:

What teams took KW off there board for injuries? Do you have links to back that up? He had no issues until after he was drafted and in training camp.

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

Nice job. I like Cockrell as a value starter pickup at corner as well, and Vic and Donatell have a lot of history with being successful with guys like that. 

Re: McPhee he’s a team captain and leader, and while I completely agree thy can’t bring him back at his current number I think he’s very much a candidate to try to restructure to a lower base salary with incentives for games played, sacks, etc. to earn back the money. On a pitch count he’s still an effective player. His base next year is $7.2M.

Spitballing, but restructure that to $2M for 2018, fully guaranteed, $62,500 bonus every regular season game he’s active ($1M over 16 games), and escalating bonuses at 6, 8 and 10 sacks. Also, in exchange for the restructure, agree to convert a noteworthy portion of his non-guaranteed base for 2019 into a noteworthy roster bonus due a week into the league year, essentially guaranteeing he’ll either get paid his full salary next year, get a new contract, or be released to test the market near the outset of FA. 

I would have no issue keeping McPhee if we can restructure his contract...biggest issue tho will simply be is he healthy enough and right now I don't think that is the case...Houston seems to offer more right now and coming from me that is saying something lol...Acho's stats really surprised me...42 tackles and 3 sacks but 17 QB hits...that is the same amount as Ziggy Ansah & Julius Peppers...Connor Barwin only had 12.

35 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I would have no issue keeping McPhee if we can restructure his contract...biggest issue tho will simply be is he healthy enough and right now I don't think that is the case...Houston seems to offer more right now and coming from me that is saying something lol...Acho's stats really surprised me...42 tackles and 3 sacks but 17 QB hits...that is the same amount as Ziggy Ansah & Julius Peppers...Connor Barwin only had 12.

This is where I'm at also.  Houston and Acho as the back ups to Floyd and hopefully some one else.  I just don't think McPhee provides much going forward.

Archived