Rueben Foster arrested on possession of marijuana

.Buzz

39 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Please don't be the first of many demoralizing dominos to fall in the off-season.

Looks like he'll be facing just a fine for this one. Hate to say it, but maybe the 49ers should think about taking Roquan Smith or another linebacker early.

I think he can get a suspension. The diluted test at the combine counts as strike one for him, I think. Not sure how it goes though

52 minutes ago, Forge said:

I think he can get a suspension. The diluted test at the combine counts as strike one for him, I think. Not sure how it goes though

Oh yeah. Whoops. Well according to Niners Nation:

The question now is what kind of discipline Foster might face in the NFL's substance abuse policy. It's not entirely clear because we don't know exactly where he is in the NFL's drug-testing protocol. At the NFL Combine last year, he had a diluted sample, which according to Ian Rapoport, the league treats as a positive test. This got him moved into the substance abuse testing program.

You can read the full substance abuse policy here. There are three stages to the program. Foster would have been in stage one, which can last anywhere from 90-180 days without violations. A positive marijuana test for someone in stage two would result in a fine of two game checks, but I don't know if an arrest and possession of marijuana is treated the same way.

My guess is this leads to a hefty fine, but the NFL is never entirely clear on their various policies. Would they consider an arrest as a personal conduct issue, even though it's related to drugs? My guess is no, but I'm not particularly certain given how inconsistent the NFL is from week to week.

I do find it ridiculous the NFL treats marijuana the way it does, but those are also the rules, whether we like them or not. Reuben Foster getting arrested for marijuana possession is knuckle-headed behavior. I imagine he will have a lengthy chat with Kyle Shanahan and John Lynch sooner rather than later.

https://www.ninersnation.com/2018/1/12/16887338/reuben-foster-arrest-marijuana-fine-suspension-discipline-hell-if-i-know

The league and the state of Alabama have antiquated marijuana policies. It's unfortunate this happened, hopefully he doesn't get suspended. 

This feels different than what happened to Aldon because Foster seems more committed to this team. It's the off-season, these guys deserve to blow off some steam. Obviously he should have known better and I'd like to hear some more details about why they searched him/how much he had etc etc but now he's going to be subjected to more frequent testing - so hopefully there are no more slip ups and this is just a speed bump not a roadblock

2 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Meanwhile, I don't think the NBA cares about pot. 

The NFL doesn't really care either if you don't get caught. The NFL gives drug tests every year on April 20th, aka 420 which is really ironic. Anyway, if the players pass, that's it until next April 20th. The key here is don't be stupid and get caught and be in the NFL substance abuse program. 

23 minutes ago, steadypimpin said:

The NFL doesn't really care either if you don't get caught. The NFL gives drug tests every year on April 20th, aka 420 which is really ironic. Anyway, if the players pass, that's it until next April 20th. The key here is don't be stupid and get caught and be in the NFL substance abuse program. 

And if the test is taken early in the day, they can still celebrate 420! How nice of the NFL! They're basically complicitous!

Hey Reuben. Stay out of....

giphy.gif

In all seriousness, this was partially why I said before the draft that I wouldn’t take Foster in the top 20. Him being a bonehead at the combine/getting sent home wasn’t a good look for him and gave me pause about his character. I’m not saying all is lost with Reuben, but hopefully he can keep it together at least until his playing career is through. It’s kind of crappy how if he was in California this never would have been an issue. 

Archived