49ers LB Reuben Foster arrested on marijuana charge

RaidersAreOne

8 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

What if Foster said he's going to Taiwan for a month? Can he not do that? 

Players under contract that have never had a violation are tested once a year between April 20th and August 9th and given up to a three hour warning before the test.

One offense gets them into Stage One of the Intervention Program that can last for up to 90 days of treatment and announced testing and includes fines. Fail that and they go into Stage Two, which is 24 months of announced testing and treatment and failures result in suspensions of 4-6 games. Fail that and Stage Three has a suspension of 10 games and now includes random testing. Fail that and you're in Josh Gordon territory. 

4 minutes ago, cp0k2 said:

Players under contract that have never had a violation are tested once a year between April 20th and August 9th and given up to a three hour warning before the test.

One offense gets them into Stage One of the Intervention Program that can last for up to 90 days of treatment and announced testing and includes fines. Fail that and they go into Stage Two, which is 24 months of announced testing and treatment and failures result in suspensions of 4-6 games. Fail that and Stage Three has a suspension of 10 games and now includes random testing. Fail that and you're in Josh Gordon territory. 

So, Foster could be on the other side of the globe right now then. Between April and August though he has to be where? Because three hours isn't a lot of time if he's notified. What if he's at a water park that day with friends and family? He gets a buzz on his cellphone that says he has to be at place X within three hours? 

Was really upset the Raiders didn't take him. Now I'm not as upset as I thought he'd keep clean until his next contract...Life is all about what you FOCUS on. Your standards/expectations for yourself and what you want to create. Personally I'm not into that stuff, but if I was I'd also have an 'issue' of being told I can't do something I want to do. So it would be about what I FOCUS on. Do I want to push myself and keep clean for a decade to create a life that will hopefully allow me to enjoy decades afterwards. OR Focus on an outside entity controlling/telling me what I can and can't do with my body/life. Tough decision and it's why many don't keep away. Foster is great on the field, but he will need to change the 'Tide Tude' if he wants to get the most out of his NFL career. It's about the environment and what you surround yourself with. If I'm an owner/GM/HC I'm not investing big money into players who might not be there on the field when we need them because they had off-field issues that cause them to miss games. I think each incident will cost him millions on his next contract.

sad how the majority of ya'll are bashing the dude and shaming him versus trying to defend him and push for the legalization of how an individual wants to medicate themselves. The talk is always about the players versus trying to change a stupid (long outdated) rule. 

21 hours ago, MookieMonster said:

A lot of college athletes train with their former S&C Coach during the off-season.

His college team did just win a championship so this would a way to celebrate by being around the college he just spend 3 years at. He was also born in Alabama so he was probably spending time with family and friends. 

On ‎2018‎-‎01‎-‎13 at 12:26 PM, cp0k2 said:

Excellent summary, but 2 key points to add:

1.  Once your 90 days of clean tests are done in Stage One, you leave the program.   If Foster had no other problems since the Combine, he wouldn't have to worry about testing until that April 20 - Aug. 9th window, like everyone else.

2.  Players only get the 4-game suspension if they fail tests (or get arrested, or get a diluted urine sample count as a test, or they miss a test) four times.   The first is just entry into the program, the 2nd (which this would be if the dilute urine test was #1) is 2 game cheques, and the 3rd is 4 game cheques.    So when Trent Williams, Von Miller, and other guys get suspended for weed - it's not like it's one time - it's at least 4.   Leveon Bell was different because he was driving, which automatically generates a bigger penalty IIRC.

So, Foster isn't going to get a suspension if this is #2 - and in all likelihood, the fact he was possessing likely means he was out of the program, and not worrying about getting clean for late April. 

1 hour ago, RamPackFan said:

sad how the majority of ya'll are bashing the dude and shaming him versus trying to defend him and push for the legalization of how an individual wants to medicate themselves. The talk is always about the players versus trying to change a stupid (long outdated) rule. 

The policy is absolutely a joke and unnecessary from a performance perspective - but it's the price of playing in the NFL, and players know that going in.   They may not like it, but there's no excuse if they are caught.    Again, if this is #2 for Foster, then it's just a more public warning to him than most players get. 

What's interesting is that the reviews on the drug problem apparently indicate hundreds of NFL players have been in the system at one point or another since 2011, if the Trent Williams piece below is accurate - so while I think the rule is stupid, it's set up to give players lots of chances to avoid getting suspended.   I don't ding them if weed doesn't affect their on-field performance, but I have no sympathy if they get to the suspension stage - 4x you have to fail/miss to get suspended.   Can't feel bad for them on that count.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/football-insider/wp/2016/11/03/nfl-substance-abuse-policy-a-41-page-road-map-to-a-four-game-suspension/?utm_term=.fb95b242bdee

Because the rule is the rule. Plenty of employers still have issues with marijuana. Yes, the rule is outdated. Yes, it should probably be changed, though lets keep in mind that it's not even legal in every state right now, and as an organization that has teams in multiple states with various legislature , it seems unfair to allow some players to do it and others not to based on the team that they play for; the rules need to be uniform. Since they can't "allow" marijuana in states that doesn't have legalized marijuana, the rule probably should remain that it not be allowed. 

He knows the rule, and he's already been busted for a diluted sample at the combine, when he *knows* he's getting tested, and still got busted anyway. It's idiotic and he deserves to be criticized. The rule can be bad and he can still be an idiot. The two aren't mutually exclusive. 

The rule sucks, and needs to abolished asap, but it is still a rule. If you break the rule, you get punished. He knows that, we know that and therefore his behavior is unacceptable.

58 minutes ago, Forge said:

Because the rule is the rule. Plenty of employers still have issues with marijuana. Yes, the rule is outdated. Yes, it should probably be changed, though lets keep in mind that it's not even legal in every state right now, and as an organization that has teams in multiple states with various legislature , it seems unfair to allow some players to do it and others not to based on the team that they play for; the rules need to be uniform. Since they can't "allow" marijuana in states that doesn't have legalized marijuana, the rule probably should remain that it not be allowed. 

He knows the rule, and he's already been busted for a diluted sample at the combine, when he *knows* he's getting tested, and still got busted anyway. It's idiotic and he deserves to be criticized. The rule can be bad and he can still be an idiot. The two aren't mutually exclusive. 

To be fair, though, if he's out of Stage 1 (and 90 days of being clean after the Combine result got him in Stage 1), Foster doesn't have to worry about testing until late April.   Getting nabbed by the police is what did him in.   It's just an excuse, though - you took the risk, you face the music - just that there isn't a concern of being tested if he was out of the program. 

Archived