1st overall Pick: Jackson or Barkley

kingomi87

Hi Everyone, I have been on here for years but recently changed my name from Omar to Kingomi.

I have the 1st overall pick in my keeper league.  My league rewards qb TD's for 6pts instead of the traditional 4pts.  I have been wanting to draft Jackson using the first overall pick in next years draft but just wanted advice as to whether it would make sense for me to gamble on Jackson or take barkley.  I am in need of a franchise qb since I have not had one in years.  As of now my keepers are as follows:

Mariota
Mahomes
Cory Davis
Melvin Gordon
Jay AJayi
Cristian Mccaffrey

*Evan Engram is also on my roster but I think I should let him go.  We have until Super Bowl Sunday to declare keepers. 

20 hours ago, kingomi87 said:

Hi Everyone, I have been on here for years but recently changed my name from Omar to Kingomi.

I have the 1st overall pick in my keeper league.  My league rewards qb TD's for 6pts instead of the traditional 4pts.  I have been wanting to draft Jackson using the first overall pick in next years draft but just wanted advice as to whether it would make sense for me to gamble on Jackson or take barkley.  I am in need of a franchise qb since I have not had one in years.  As of now my keepers are as follows:

Mariota
Mahomes
Cory Davis
Melvin Gordon
Jay AJayi
Cristian Mccaffrey

*Evan Engram is also on my roster but I think I should let him go.  We have until Super Bowl Sunday to declare keepers. 

Is this a 2QB league, or a Superflex that allows you to start a QB in a flex spot?   If not, then there is no need to keep 2 QB's over a player like Evan Engram.  

How many teams in the league?

What are the starting lineups?

These are important questions in providing for others to better understand the decisions you are trying to make/ask about.

@SimsZilla 

Couldn't Jackson be that once in a lifetime player, just as much as Barkley?  We have not seen a qb quite like jackson in a long time.  The only comparable qb wouk d be Mike Vick and Jackson is a far better passer. What makes Barkley a lock over Jackson whom you are calling a Maybe QB?  I'm only asking because jackson has shown the ability to throw into tight windows make good reads and has an extremely strong arm.  Not including his ability to run, the young man has also thrown for over 3500 yards in the last two seasons.  

@chisoxguy7

My league is a 14 team league and the draft includes both Veterans and Rookies.  The 2nd team behind has said that they will pick either jackson or barkley (whichever one I don't pick).  Essentially, I'm assuming I'm only gettij g one shot at getting either one so ultimately I am trying to gauge which one wouk d have the best value.  If i go jackson, couldn't ibthen come back and drafts guy like rashad penny? Penny had over 2k yards this year in college football and had over 1200yards AFTER CONTACT!  Sounds like a Kareem hunt clone and gets very little attention.  

@squire12 

No, this not a 2qb or superflex league

This is a 14 team keeper league and the lineups are as follows

Qb, wr wr, wr, rb, rb, te, rb/te/wr, wr/te

The main reason Why I would like to keep multiple qbs is because this league is qb favored on points.  There are significant bonuses for passing yards and passing tds are 6pts as opposed to 4pts in traditional leagues.    I figured that by keeping mariota, mahomes and drafting jackson, I would better my chances of landing that ELITE qb needed to put me over the top.  

33 minutes ago, kingomi87 said:

@squire12 

No, this not a 2qb or superflex league

This is a 14 team keeper league and the lineups are as follows

Qb, wr wr, wr, rb, rb, te, rb/te/wr, wr/te

The main reason Why I would like to keep multiple qbs is because this league is qb favored on points.  There are significant bonuses for passing yards and passing tds are 6pts as opposed to 4pts in traditional leagues.    I figured that by keeping mariota, mahomes and drafting jackson, I would better my chances of landing that ELITE qb needed to put me over the top.  

So go look at the scoring difference between the positions in your league

For QB, 5-10 scoring vs 15-25th

For TE, 5-10 vs 30th

You can only start 1 QB, but you have to start 1 TE and can start up to 3 TE. The scoring differences are that much between the tiers at each position should drive your decision

17 minutes ago, kingomi87 said:

I don't understand what you want me to do? Sorry I worked overnight and haven't had much sleep.  Would you mind elaborating some more?

What would you ultimately do?

You start only 1 QB.  So the difference in scoring between the 5th QB vs the 15-20th QB in your league is your difference over a replacement level QB

You can start 1-3 TE, up to 3-5 WR and 2-3 RB.  So look at the difference in TE scoring similar to QB, but with the added potential of being able to start more than 1, the replacement level TE starting needs to be not in the 15-20 range, but the 30th range

Example: 

#6 scoring QB  347 points vs 15-20 QB (averages about 270) = difference of 80 points

#6 scoring TE  142 points vs 30 TE ~60 points = 80 point difference

@SimsZilla

I want to take Jackson, I just would like to hear good reasonrrasons as to why I shouldn't.  So far I havent really heard anything other than Barkley is somehow a once in a lifetime player.  It is guaranteed that Jackson will not last in my draft past the top 2 picks and I have the 1st overall.  

1 hour ago, squire12 said:

You start only 1 QB.  So the difference in scoring between the 5th QB vs the 15-20th QB in your league is your difference over a replacement level QB

You can start 1-3 TE, up to 3-5 WR and 2-3 RB.  So look at the difference in TE scoring similar to QB, but with the added potential of being able to start more than 1, the replacement level TE starting needs to be not in the 15-20 range, but the 30th range

Example: 

#6 scoring QB  347 points vs 15-20 QB (averages about 270) = difference of 80 points

#6 scoring TE  142 points vs 30 TE ~60 points = 80 point difference

Thank you. 

I understand this and will apply it to my keepers!

Archived