1st overall Pick: Jackson or Barkley

kingomi87

42 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

There is no way you don’t take Barkley unless you get multiple 1sts in return. 

But why?  what makes Barkley a better prospect over Lamar Jackson?  

I do have multiple 1sts round picks this year but I wont be able to land both players as ive stated earlier for sure.  

5 minutes ago, kingomi87 said:

But why?  what makes Barkley a better prospect over Lamar Jackson?  

I do have multiple 1sts round picks this year but I wont be able to land both players as ive stated earlier for sure.  

I feel like you are trolling at this point. You can get LJ outside of the top 5, so why not trade back and get a kings ransom...and still get LJ. I’d love to explain value based drafting to you...but I don’t have the time. 

1 minute ago, sammymvpknight said:

I feel like you are trolling at this point. You can get LJ outside of the top 5, so why not trade back and get a kings ransom...and still get LJ. I’d love to explain value based drafting to you...but I don’t have the time. 

Since I am the originator of this post, how am I trolling?  I said before that it is guaranteed that Jackson and Barkley (in my league) are going with the top two picks.  If for whatever reason I decide to draft neither or trade back I would surely miss out on both prospects.  I am in a 14 team league and it is hard to come by Elite Qbs.  as i have stated.

I do understand that drafting LJ at #1 isn't the best value and I understand the gamble.  If he booms then it could put me over the top for sure.  

Lastly, all i have been asking for are legitimate reasons as to why Barkley is a better prospect to draft over LJ and again i still have not really heard anything really valid other than he may be a once in a lifetime player or value based drafting....

14 minutes ago, kingomi87 said:

Since I am the originator of this post, how am I trolling?  I said before that it is guaranteed that Jackson and Barkley (in my league) are going with the top two picks.  If for whatever reason I decide to draft neither or trade back I would surely miss out on both prospects.  I am in a 14 team league and it is hard to come by Elite Qbs.  as i have stated.

I do understand that drafting LJ at #1 isn't the best value and I understand the gamble.  If he booms then it could put me over the top for sure.  

Lastly, all i have been asking for are legitimate reasons as to why Barkley is a better prospect to draft over LJ and again i still have not really heard anything really valid other than he may be a once in a lifetime player or value based drafting....

This is a 6 player keeper league correct.  Can you list some of the QB's that will not be kept?  

From what you are saying, there is an owner that owns pick 1.2 and will take Lamarr Jackson if you do not, is that correct?    If that is the case, then I would trade pick 1.1 to him for his pick 1.2 and another 1st next year (or this year if he has another 1st in 2018).

What just about everyone is saying is that Jackson is not going to be that productive in his first few years vs what Barkley will be.  Since you can only keep 6 players, you should be able to get a better top tier QB than Jackson.   If you really wanted to, just trade pick 1.1 for a proven veteran top tier QB.  I am pretty sure someone would do that for pick 1.1

1 hour ago, squire12 said:

This is a 6 player keeper league correct.  Can you list some of the QB's that will not be kept?  

From what you are saying, there is an owner that owns pick 1.2 and will take Lamarr Jackson if you do not, is that correct?    If that is the case, then I would trade pick 1.1 to him for his pick 1.2 and another 1st next year (or this year if he has another 1st in 2018).

What just about everyone is saying is that Jackson is not going to be that productive in his first few years vs what Barkley will be.  Since you can only keep 6 players, you should be able to get a better top tier QB than Jackson.   If you really wanted to, just trade pick 1.1 for a proven veteran top tier QB.  I am pretty sure someone would do that for pick 1.1

@squire12

As of now the BPA for QBS is Alex Smith whom i actually have on my roster but obviously am not keeping as he has minimal long term value in a keeper league at this point the next best QB available would then be Derek Carr, Jameis Winston and Andy Dalton based off of Yahoo's seasons total points.

I think that if Jackson lands in a good position, he could easily outperform Barkley in his first few years and perhaps put up top 5 fantasy numbers for Qbs.  Fantasy running qbs have been golden.  Look at Cam Newton, RG3 (rookie year) Russel Wilson, Alex Smith (to an extent) and Mariota.  Jackson is a better passer than what he gets credit for.  Experts have compared him to Vick, although I feel as if he is a better passer than Vick ever was at this point in his Career.  Vick in College wasn't really a passer, whereas LJ has thrown the ball all over place (some good, some bad) for 3500+yds over the last two years.

If LJ were to be drafted to a team where he would be starting, I think it would be very realistic to say he could at the very least have 3200yds passing and 500yds rushing with 5-7tds.

Still, i guess it is a wait and see approach until we see where these athletes fall in the draft. 

10 minutes ago, kingomi87 said:

@squire12

As of now the BPA for QBS is Alex Smith whom i actually have on my roster but obviously am not keeping as he has minimal long term value in a keeper league at this point the next best QB available would then be Derek Carr, Jameis Winston and Andy Dalton based off of Yahoo's seasons total points.

I think that if Jackson lands in a good position, he could easily outperform Barkley in his first few years and perhaps put up top 5 fantasy numbers for Qbs.  Fantasy running qbs have been golden.  Look at Cam Newton, RG3 (rookie year) Russel Wilson, Alex Smith (to an extent) and Mariota.  Jackson is a better passer than what he gets credit for.  Experts have compared him to Vick, although I feel as if he is a better passer than Vick ever was at this point in his Career.  Vick in College wasn't really a passer, whereas LJ has thrown the ball all over place (some good, some bad) for 3500+yds over the last two years.

If LJ were to be drafted to a team where he would be starting, I think it would be very realistic to say he could at the very least have 3200yds passing and 500yds rushing with 5-7tds.

Still, i guess it is a wait and see approach until we see where these athletes fall in the draft. 

So with Carr, WInston and Dalton likely in the draft, where did they finish in QB scoring in your league?  Both Carr and Winston have as much potential long term as Jackson....and both are the starters for their NFL teams, something we do not know about Jackson.  

At the end of the day, if you feel that Jackson is worth pick 1.1 and that he will not get to your pick at 2.1, then make your pick and don't look back.  

You posted here for some thoughts, thoughts were provided, and if you had already made up your mind, then I am not sure the point of asking for thoughts.

8 minutes ago, squire12 said:

So with Carr, WInston and Dalton likely in the draft, where did they finish in QB scoring in your league?  Both Carr and Winston have as much potential long term as Jackson....and both are the starters for their NFL teams, something we do not know about Jackson.  

At the end of the day, if you feel that Jackson is worth pick 1.1 and that he will not get to your pick at 2.1, then make your pick and don't look back.  

You posted here for some thoughts, thoughts were provided, and if you had already made up your mind, then I am not sure the point of asking for thoughts.

These qbs finished around 16th. 17th and 18th in scoring in my league and I totally agree in regards to Carr and Winston's potential compared to Jacksons.  

I just came here looking for more of a discussion/analysis as to why Barkley should be the pick over Jackson.  I understand that some thoughts were given but I just thought maybe there would be more of substantive breakdown (so to speak) as oppose to basically saying Barkley is better.  

I appreciate your input though Squire :) as I am always down for a good thorough discussion. 

5 hours ago, kingomi87 said:

@SimsZilla

I want to take Jackson, I just would like to hear good reasonrrasons as to why I shouldn't.  So far I havent really heard anything other than Barkley is somehow a once in a lifetime player.  It is guaranteed that Jackson will not last in my draft past the top 2 picks and I have the 1st overall.  

Honestly the guy who picks second knows you want Jackson and is trying to get you to pick him so he can have Barkley, don’t be dumb

3 minutes ago, chisoxguy7 said:

Honestly the guy who picks second knows you want Jackson and is trying to get you to pick him so he can have Barkley, don’t be dumb

Well of course, but in my years of playing fantasy football, I've learned that it is best to do what is best for your team as opposed to someone else correct?  I am merely doing my due diligence on both players to make sure I select the correct player.  GOing into this thread, my mind was already made up on Jackson.  I was hoping to have a more in depth discussion on both players but it seems i have come to the wrong place. 

40 minutes ago, kingomi87 said:

Well of course, but in my years of playing fantasy football, I've learned that it is best to do what is best for your team as opposed to someone else correct?  I am merely doing my due diligence on both players to make sure I select the correct player.  GOing into this thread, my mind was already made up on Jackson.  I was hoping to have a more in depth discussion on both players but it seems i have come to the wrong place. 

Barkley will have a better first 3-4 years of production in his career.  In a 6 keeper league, that is all you need.  I think Barkley is the better prospect, plays the RB position where it is hard to find top tier talent.  

Barkley is possibly a once in a lifetime prospect. Jackson isn't even going to be the first QB drafted in the NFL draft. Barkley is amazing all across the board. Freakishly athletic (bench press numbers will beat most offensive linemen and he'll run a 4.3 forty), catches the ball well, pass blocks well so he won't be taken out on 3rd downs, makes defenders miss, breaks tackles, he does it all. I think you would be crazy for passing him up.

Also remember, ALL QB get the 6 point per TD upgrade. Honestly, that actually hurts Jackson as his rushing TDs won't get the extra 2 points.

If you are dead set on Jackson, talk to the guy at #2 and trade with him and pick up some more picks or a 1st next year, because no matter what he says, he wants Barkley.

21 hours ago, kingomi87 said:

Read this article, or any rookie rankings for 2018 fantasy. Jackson isn't anywhere near worth a first round pick. You will be severely handcuffing yourself, and, quite honestly, the laughingstock of your league if you take Jackson with the first pick.

Soo....I don't get why you think Jackson is that 1.1 can't miss prospect. And I completely understand that your league is QB centric (although you really only listed 6 point QB TDs which skews it but not that much.

Lets list the consensus 1.1 picks the last few years....

2017- Leonard Fournette

2016 - Zeke Elliot

2015 - Todd Gurley

2014 - Sammy Watkins (It wasn't really a consensus year as I fought for Mike Evans)

Now lets list the consensus top QB the last few years...

2017 - Mitch Trubisky (28th)

2016 - Jared Goff (ranked around 21st)

2015 - Jameis Winston (Ranked around 13th)

2014 - Blake Bortles/Teddy Bridgewater (ranked 10/11th ish)

Whoever has pick 1.2 is baiting you to not take Barkley. Traditionally rookie RBs do very well, rookie QBs not so much. Even if you LOVE Jackson he should be available with your second first round pick (and even that is probably high) as he won't be the top ranked QB coming out (see: Darnold, Rosen, Allen) and he might not even be the starter depending on what team he is drafted for. Also as far as never seeing a prospect like Jackson before you're definitely wrong, we've seen similar versions of Jackson with guys like RGIII, Bridgewater, and Kaepernick. 

I really think you're selling yourself too hard into this "QB heavy" thing that's going to hurt your team overall because not only are you considering taking Jackson over Barkley but you're also considering keeping Mahomes on top of that who hasn't even been given the starting job yet. Who else is on your roster that you're not keeping?

I say take Barkley and its not close. Now if Jackson gets drafted by a team that names him the day 1 starter, sure go ahead and take him if you want him that bad. I am just not sure he is going to be drafted to start from day 1. All the scouting reports have him as a guy who will need time before being ready. Barkley will likely make an impact on day 1 like Zeke or Kareem Hunt. Plus with having Gordon, Ajayi, and CMac adding Barkley gives you four RBs who are all likely to finish top 20 or higher. You can trade one of those guys for a better QB if you want to either before or during the season.

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 3:07 PM, JonStark said:

Barkley is possibly a once in a lifetime prospect. Jackson isn't even going to be the first QB drafted in the NFL draft. Barkley is amazing all across the board. Freakishly athletic (bench press numbers will beat most offensive linemen and he'll run a 4.3 forty), catches the ball well, pass blocks well so he won't be taken out on 3rd downs, makes defenders miss, breaks tackles, he does it all. I think you would be crazy for passing him up.

Also remember, ALL QB get the 6 point per TD upgrade. Honestly, that actually hurts Jackson as his rushing TDs won't get the extra 2 points.

If you are dead set on Jackson, talk to the guy at #2 and trade with him and pick up some more picks or a 1st next year, because no matter what he says, he wants Barkley.

Hmmm, Freakishly athletic, runs a fast 40, catches the ball well and is an every down back.  This sort of write up reminds me of the once in a lifetime player known as Reggie Bush.  I recall some that said he was the "Michael Jordan of Football" and look how that turned out.  How can you be so sure that Barkley skill set will translate to the NFL?  You are only speculating.  Bush made people look absolutely silly and some even wanted the Texans to take him 1st overall over Mario Williams back in 06.

I agree with you that the 6pt TD upgrade applies to all QBs, but my point is that if you do not have a legit qb in my fantasy league, then it can be very difficult to win.  a Qb can literally carry the entire roster.  

Archived