Win or Lose the 2017 Eagles are My Favorite Eagles Squad

Phire

24172725_10155320137833995_2361452016774

We're no strangers to disappointment.

Disappointment is our default. Our modus operandi. Our state of being. No, I'm not describing @EaglesPeteC's love life. I'm talking about Terrell Owens getting horse collared by Roy Williams of the Dallas Cowboys and breaking his leg in 2004 just before playoffs, which limited his ability in the Super Bowl despite miraculously playing. I'm talking about having our practices spied upon by the Patriots. I'm talking about McNabb puking and Andy Reid taking his sweet ol' time with no time left on the clock.

I'm talking about the Freddie Mitchells, the Danny Watkins, the Tony Hunts. I'm talking about Vince Young's "Dream Team," #ChampionChip, and debating whether Nick Foles is better than Sam Bradford. I'm talking about guys like Brian Westbrook and Brian Dawkins who never won a Super Bowl. I'm talking about trading Shady McCoy for Kiko Alonso. Letting Dawkins go to Denver. The miserable injuries like to Leonard Weaver.

And with a few hours till kickoff, at home, against the Falcons, we're set up for another big disappointment as top-seed-underdogs for the first time in who knows how long. And win or lose, 2017 certainly wasn't short of its own disappointments.

But despite it all, and even if we lose today, the 2017 squad might be my favorite Eagles team ever.

I know I'm not alone in saying there was an aura about this team. The 2017 squad, at full health, may not even have been as talented as the 2004 team, but, for one reason or another it was more fun, the guys were more likable. The 2017 squad is what a Philadelphia Eagles team should look like. And that's not to rag on the 2004 squad by any means. But the 2004 squad with the 2017 mentality probably wins it all.

The Eagles came into 2017 with low expectations. Many felt the Giants, Redskins, and Cowboys were all ahead. Kelce wasn't the same. Lane keeps taking supplements. Carson Wentz has footwork problems and can't throw deep. Doug Pederson is an idiot. Our receivers suck. Our DBs are the worst in the league. Jalen Mills sucks.

Besides Jalen Mills sucking, this team took all of those criticisms and flipped them on their heads. This was a team full of guys competing to be the first guy in the facility. I remember Darby during rehab saying how he would try to be the first, but Carson Wentz kept beating him. This is a team of unselfish players in a crowded offensive backfield that doesn't cry or complain when they get one carry. This is a team that, generally, doesn't lose at home. This is a team that features tons of role players like Chris Long and Patrick Robinson who give everything they got in the limited snaps they get.

In 2017 we found our franchise quarterback who made play after play after play. No play was "busted" because something would come of it. A spin this way, ducking a defender that way, and there goes a touchdown to undrafted rookie Corey Clement or backup TE Trey Burton.

This is one of the strongest locker rooms the Eagles have ever had. In hindsight, we know that 2004 squad had problems. And certainly it wasn't rock bottom like the 2011 mercenary mentality. This is a team where Jason Peters gets hurt and he's giving his replacement advice as he's being carted off the field. This is a team where Carson Wentz, still groggy from the anesthesia is wondering about the playbook. Guys like Nate Sudfeld could have gone elsewhere for better pay, job security, and an opportunity but decided to stay here to play third string QB because he believed in what was happening.

It was a year of heavy attrition. Losing key player after key player game after game. We're down Jason Peters, Darren Sproles, Jordan Hicks, Carson Wentz, Chris Maragos, and others. And while we might get salty about what the year could have been, we're still in a situation to make it happen. Honestly, if we do anything today and in the playoffs going forward, it'll be because of the underdog mentality this team had all year, the belief in self, and the strength of the locker room.

I hope Eagles fans give the Falcons players complete hell today. GO EAGLES!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived