Raiders hire Tom Cable as new OL coach.

TecmoSuperJoe

I know this doesn't tell the entire story, but these are the offensive line rankings in adjusted sack rate all the times Cable has been an OL coach. 

Year Team Adj. Sack Rate
2006 ATL 31st
2007 OAK 27th
2008 OAK 30th
2009 OAK 31st
2010 OAK 26th
2011 SEA 24th
2012 SEA 20th
2013 SEA 32nd
2014 SEA 24th
2015 SEA 30th
2016 SEA 25th
2017 SEA 31st

3 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

I know this doesn't tell the entire story, but these are the offensive line rankings in adjusted sack rate all the times Cable has been an OL coach. 

Year Team Adj. Sack Rate
2006 ATL 31st
2007 OAK 27th
2008 OAK 30th
2009 OAK 31st
2010 OAK 26th
2011 SEA 24th
2012 SEA 20th
2013 SEA 32nd
2014 SEA 24th
2015 SEA 30th
2016 SEA 25th
2017 SEA 31st

do the raiders have more talent than these teams he has coached? 

6 hours ago, DawgX said:

Doesn't seem like a great hire. But how much is the lack of success of those offensive lines throughout the years due to Cable or the lack of talent? 

Yeah.  I'm kinda curious on this as well.  Seems to me a bit like it might be a combination of both though.  Always seems to be a bit of an air of arrogance that follows him around and.  As though he's going to be able to turn some collection of nobodies into a functional line - so, no need to invest heavily in top talent there.

12 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Yeah.  I'm kinda curious on this as well.  Seems to me a bit like it might be a combination of both though.  Always seems to be a bit of an air of arrogance that follows him around and.  As though he's going to be able to turn some collection of nobodies into a functional line - so, no need to invest heavily in top talent there.

From the outside looking in, I look at it as a mix of things as well.  As for how the hiring pertains to the Raiders:

Offensive Tackle -  Donald Penn does not fit.  He might have been done either way though.  We have nothing to write home about at RT, where we started Marshall Newhouse who was overall meh.  Behind them we have Vadal Alexander (2016 7th round pick), David Sharpe (2017 4th round pick), and Jylan Ware (2017 7th round pick).  The first 2 are strong but not mobile guys that I'm not sure will fit the scheme.  Ware has been playing RT, is athletic enough, but is raw and needs to improve strength. We have not seen him in games IIRC. Sharpe looked alright at LT in our previous system filling in for Donald Penn at times.

Interior OLine - Rodney Hudson will totally be fine at center. Kelechi Osemele is powerful but also can move -- he should do fine too.  Gabe Jackson is a big mauler with a big contract.  I'm skeptical that he will be a good ZBS OG but I think he gets a chance because of his contract and past success.  He recently had a down year though.  He has a $6M dead cap hit in 2018 which goes to zero in 2019 so I think we try him out for a year.  I don't recall any other lineman worth writing about off the top of my head here.  Might need to get some backups.

Running Back - Its no secret that Marshawn Lynch can thrive in a zone scheme.  Dude has vicious cuts (especially his jumps) and stellar vision to read and set up his blocks.  Behind him, we have Jalen Richard (2016 UDFA), DeAndre Washington(2016 5th round pick), and Elijah Hood(2017 7th round pick).  Hood saw little to no time this past season so I won't discuss him.  Richard and Washington are similar players.  Small, quick and shifty.  Can catch the ball out of the backfield pretty well. Not great blockers.  Both fumble too much, especially Richard.  However, Richard does provide more splash plays and is our punt returner.  The problem is both of the smurfs don't appear to be good at reading ZBS blocks.  They left A LOT of yards on the field last season due to this when we ran outside zone.

Overall - I don't like the idea of wasting Gabe Jackson, but he could become potential trade bait at least eventually.   I like Lynch's fit but we'll need some new RBs, which probably was the case either way. We're kind of squandering a few mid and late round picks, although some were probably not going to work out regardless (Reggie needs to hit on more picks tbh).  I'm concerned for OT because Carr needs protection -- I'd hate to continue seeing him in the jumpy state he was this year vs the relaxed state he had in 2016.  I don't think he needs elite protection to play that way, but if he gets knocked around I could see him holding onto the yips.  And finally, I hope Cable can adapt his scheme to a certain extent to whatever lineman we have.

Archived