Raiders hire Tom Cable as new OL coach.

TecmoSuperJoe

20 hours ago, 3rivers said:

do the raiders have more talent than these teams he has coached? 

Without doing position-by-position comparisons for talent-level  - which I tend to think get given too much weight because OL is as much about chemistry and balancing one-another's strengths/weaknesses unless you're talking about a line full of All-Pro's like the 90's Dallas lines; the Raiders' current interior OL is superior on individual talent to any of the lines Cable has coached in the past (I'd rate Unger better than Hudson, but the combo of Osemele/Hudson/Jackson is superior to Sweezy/Unger/McQuistan), the tackle situation is a bit more questionable.  Okung was hurt a fair amount, but when he was healthy he was better than Donald Penn - though in fairness, the guard playing next to Penn does a good job making his weaknesses less obvious.  The RT spot is a glaring weakness on just about every Cable line which, at least to me, should be no different in Oakland unless they bring in someone new.  Be it Vadal Alexander, Marshall Newhouse, or David Sharpe - I just plain see the same issues in all of them that guys like Ifedi had in Seattle; James Carpenter wasn't perfect, but he and McQuistan managed to paper over as a tandem.

12 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Without doing position-by-position comparisons for talent-level  - which I tend to think get given too much weight because OL is as much about chemistry and balancing one-another's strengths/weaknesses unless you're talking about a line full of All-Pro's like the 90's Dallas lines; the Raiders' current interior OL is superior on individual talent to any of the lines Cable has coached in the past (I'd rate Unger better than Hudson, but the combo of Osemele/Hudson/Jackson is superior to Sweezy/Unger/McQuistan), the tackle situation is a bit more questionable.  Okung was hurt a fair amount, but when he was healthy he was better than Donald Penn - though in fairness, the guard playing next to Penn does a good job making his weaknesses less obvious.  The RT spot is a glaring weakness on just about every Cable line which, at least to me, should be no different in Oakland unless they bring in someone new.  Be it Vadal Alexander, Marshall Newhouse, or David Sharpe - I just plain see the same issues in all of them that guys like Ogbuehi had in Seattle; James Carpenter wasn't perfect, but he and McQuistan managed to paper over as a tandem.

Ifedi. Ogbuehi is in Cincy. :)

55 minutes ago, raiderrocker18 said:

i understand that fans like to rationalize moves, but its laughable having people in the oakland forum defending this pickup. i mean of course i hope im wrong but there's very little reason for optimism with this pickup

Yea, I can't get excited about this pick whatsoever.

4 hours ago, raiderrocker18 said:

i understand that fans like to rationalize moves, but its laughable having people in the oakland forum defending this pickup. i mean of course i hope im wrong but there's very little reason for optimism with this pickup

3 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Yea, I can't get excited about this pick whatsoever.

I mean, I appreciate your guys' unfettered honesty, at least.  And not just because I've been dying to use the word "unfettered" in a sentence all day.

Bizarre hire.

I mean, I guess there's a really good OL in place... or was from 2016, before Todd Downing decided to ruin it this season. But I really don't trust Tom Cable to get the best out of any linemen. We're taking what should be a top 10 line in terms of projected production, and I bet he doesn't get anywhere near the top 10 in terms of results.

6 minutes ago, cp0k2 said:

How does this guy keep finding work? Other than being bad at his job, he has off the field issues that would keep a player from getting work.

As pointless people point when people ask this question, It's a matter of "who do you know" more than are you good at your job that gets you work in the NFL.

Either that or Cable has a lot of dirt on people.

Archived