(Poll) Will Josh Gordon Make it Through this Offseason Clean?

Mind Character

(Poll) Will Josh Gordon Make it Through this Offseason Clean?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. (Poll) Will Josh Gordon Make it Through this Offseason Clean?

• 4 weeks later...

Typically a player coming from Josh's background and history doesn't turn things around.  I'm not holding my breath that he breaks that mold.  

However, I think he's doing and saying all the right things and I certainly hope he has turned himself completely around.  In fact, if he has and remains so in the future, he's likely to become a true leader on the team and will be able to help other young players coming onto the team.  He had a chance to see his life without football and little future and he didn't like what he saw.  That can be enough to change a man.

I have high hopes that the later option here is what transpires.

1 hour ago, kris_kapsner said:

Typically a player coming from Josh's background and history doesn't turn things around.  I'm not holding my breath that he breaks that mold.  

However, I think he's doing and saying all the right things and I certainly hope he has turned himself completely around.  In fact, if he has and remains so in the future, he's likely to become a true leader on the team and will be able to help other young players coming onto the team.  He had a chance to see his life without football and little future and he didn't like what he saw.  That can be enough to change a man.

I have high hopes that the later option here is what transpires.

I see Josh's second act being akin to Brandon Marshall. 

12 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

If he plays lights out this year, how do we structure his contract?

Id pay him 5 years 100 million with 45 guaranteed and a clause that is like smoke reffer no money.  

I wonder if you could write it with a LOT of guaranteed money BUT with the caveat that if he tests positive, he owes most/all of it back.

49 minutes ago, Iamcanadian said:

Whether he does or not, winning franchises do not have Josh Gordon's on their team, they let losing franchises take those risks. If Dorsey is smart, he dumps Gordon and moves on to a more reliable WR in the draft.

He could be a young QB's best fried. We need WR's though. 

55 minutes ago, Iamcanadian said:

Whether he does or not, winning franchises do not have Josh Gordon's on their team, they let losing franchises take those risks. If Dorsey is smart, he dumps Gordon and moves on to a more reliable WR in the draft.

This makes little sense.  He's still on a rookie contract for very little money and he is one of the top 5 most talented WR's in the NFL.  You work with him this off season and you play him this year.  If he breaks out, great!  If he doesn't, nothing lost.  If you still don't trust him after a great season, you don't re-sign him and get a compensatory pick when he signs as a free agent elsewhere.

There is absolutely nothing gained by watching him clean up his act over the last two years and then saying, "nope, we don't want you."

You are right.  Few perennially successful teams draft a guy like Gordon in the first place.  But, it is what it is.  Now you make the best decision you can while you own the rights to him for another year.

2 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

this is a pretty dense thought. The Vikings won 8+ games in 10 of 13 seasons after they took the risk with Cris Carter. New England took a chance on a red flag, unmotivated Randy Moss and it paid off. 

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

I wonder if you could write it with a LOT of guaranteed money BUT with the caveat that if he tests positive, he owes most/all of it back.

You could write it that way.

You probably wouldn't collect squat.

When seeing this thread was bumped back up this was going to be the topic talked about lol

https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/Bolt/Andrew-Hawkins-tells-hilarious-story-of-Josh-Gordon-Brian-Hoyer-114544387

"We were sitting in the lobby. Gordon was playing Madden. Hoyer comes in and sits down in between meetings. They must have been still going at it. JG looks over at Hoyer, pauses the game, takes Hoyer out and puts Johnny in. That's how I knew stuff was getting real," Hawkins said.

Thomas joked about that being the end of Hoyer.

"Was that the beginning of the end? That's when he got benched. Do you think Hoyer went to [Mike] Pettine and had like the Bill Belichick-[Tom] Brady confrontation? 'It's either me or him. He traded me on Madden. He benched me on Madden!," he exclaimed

1 hour ago, Kiwibrown said:

I wouldn't want him to hae to pay it back, rather he just doesn't get anymore. 

Right, I guess that’s what I’m trying to say. As in, not a huge up front signing bonus. Plus, giving an addict that much money all up front is a recipe for disaster unfortunately.

3 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

If he plays lights out this year, how do we structure his contract?

Id pay him 5 years 100 million with 45 guaranteed and a clause that is like smoke reffer no money.  

I agree. Id pay him a truckload, but there would definitely hafta be language that stipulates: any bad tests or suspensions means the loss of all guaranteed money, plus a percentage of his previous bonus to be repaid.

If he in any way, shape or form doesnt have strict financial penalties, and we give him a large guaranteed amount, we will get royally screwed! Because Ill be honest, I think money is the only thing driving him to keep his nose clean.

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

Right, I guess that’s what I’m trying to say. As in, not a huge up front signing bonus. Plus, giving an addict that much money all up front is a recipe for disaster unfortunately.

Eh, I think it could help as much as it could hurt. It isn't like there aren't poor addicts, they probably make up a much higher percentage. No matter how you pay Gordon, he will be able to afford beer. Weed isn't anymore addictive than peanuts, you can be addicted to either I suppose but most likely you won't be. Xanax, the other drug he claimed to use often, I guess is addictive but I know nothing about it. Either way, he could afford any of those things on a league minimum deal so I wouldn't consider money as an issue, that's all up to Gordon and maybe with a lot of money he abuses more or maybe he finds better activities to indulge in. I don't think that should have any bearing. Not being able to trust him to stay clean means you wouldn't throw a lot of money at him that you'd have to fight to get back if he did screw up again, but that would be the reason not to protect him from buying a case of beer.

Archived