2018 Free Agency

turtle28

So we have discussed running backs in the draft but not had a free agent running back thread. 

In another thread we were discussing signing Demarco Murray vs. signing Alfred Morris back, so I thought I’d make a thread of free agent running backs available.

Also, if we do sign a free agent running back it probably means we won’t draft a running in the draft or at least not until the late rounds.

My wish list:

1. Carlos Hyde

2. Jeremy Hill

3. Alfred Morris 

4. Mike Gillislee

5. Isaiah Crowell

6. Brandon Bolden

7. Demarco Murray  

Also, we could re-sign Kapri Bibbs, and probably should no matter what. He flashed the last month of the season, it’s worth bringing him in to compete for one of the last roster spots, if not he can go on the practice squad.

27 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

So we have discussed running backs in the draft but not had a free agent running back thread. 

In another thread we were discussing signing Demarco Murray vs. signing Alfred Morris back, so I thought I’d make a thread of free agent running backs available.

Also, if we do sign a free agent running back it probably means we won’t draft a running in the draft or at least not until the late rounds.

My wish list:

1. Carlos Hyde

2. Jeremy Hill

3. Alfred Morris 

4. Mike Gillislee

5. Isaiah Crowell

6. Brandon Bolden

7. Demarco Murray  

Also, we could re-sign Kapri Bibbs, and probably should no matter what. He flashed the last month of the season, it’s worth bringing him in to compete for one of the last roster spots, if not he can go on the practice squad.

My wish list:

1. Carlos Hyde - Fine with this. 

2. Jeremy Hill - More like Perine but injuries and YPC are terrible. 

3. Alfred Morris - I cant think that Jay and Bruce will bring back a guy they don’t believe in. 

4. Mike Gillislee - Much like Chris Thompson whom they signed to a 4 year extension. 

5. Isaiah Crowell - Young but not sure. Not a good evaluation coming from Cleveland. 

6. Brandon Bolden - Haven’t heard much about him recently. 

7. Demarco Murray - 30 with a lot of miles. No thanks. 

Others to watch:

Damien Williams, Miami

I am all in on Hyde if this team goes after him. 

Pretty sure that Le’Veon Bell is out of the question. 

1 hour ago, mike23md said:

My wish list:

3. Alfred Morris - I cant think that Jay and Bruce will bring back a guy they don’t believe in. 

4. Mike Gillislee - Much like Chris Thompson whom they signed to a 4 year extension. 

5. Isaiah Crowell - Young but not sure. Not a good evaluation coming from Cleveland. 

Others to watch:

Damien Williams, Miami

Mike Gillislee couldn't be more different than Chris Thompson...He is more of a straight-line bruising back who gains like 3.8 YPC.

1 hour ago, A TRAIN 89 said:

Mike Gillislee couldn't be more different than Chris Thompson...He is more of a straight-line bruising back who gains like 3.8 YPC.

Exactly, Gillisee is more like a Kelley & Perine type back but a little bit quicker and faster than them. He runs a 4.55 forty while Kelley & Perine are 4.65 guys.

Maybe @mike23md was thinking of Dion Lewis, he’s a free agent too. Lewis & Thompson are the same size.

Gillisee is 5’11, 220

26 minutes ago, Slateman said:

Can anyone list free agent RBs in the last three seasons that was worth the money?

Latavius Murray, Lamar Miller, DeAngelo Williams, Frank Gore, DeMarco Murray to Tenn (not Chip Kelley’s offense), LeSean McCoy, Peterson was good in AZ before his neck injury.

14 hours ago, mike23md said:

My wish list:

Others to watch:

Damien Williams, Miami

They all can help out ... there prices imo should be fair . If it's like that selfish bastard Kirk cousins than no I don't want them .

??‍♂️

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Latavius Murray, Lamar Miller, DeAngelo Williams, Frank Gore, DeMarco Murray to Tenn (not Chip Kelley’s offense), LeSean McCoy, Peterson was good in AZ before his neck injury.

Lesean McCoy was traded, he didn't sign as a free agent.  Peterson was on his second team in the same season.  Murray and Williams signed to be backups not lead backs.  Miller is pretty mediocre, I would definitely say he's not worth the contract he got.  Frank Gore has aged and is past his prime.  Murray has put up some decent numbers in Tennessee, but he was a stupid signing because Derrick Henry could of done the same thing.  That is a pretty sad list.  

I wouldn't spend a dime on a free agent RB.  Draft one.  

18 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Lesean McCoy was traded, he didn't sign as a free agent.  Peterson was on his second team in the same season.  Murray and Williams signed to be backups not lead backs.  Miller is pretty mediocre, I would definitely say he's not worth the contract he got.  Frank Gore has aged and is past his prime.  Murray has put up some decent numbers in Tennessee, but he was a stupid signing because Derrick Henry could of done the same thing.  That is a pretty sad list.  

I wouldn't spend a dime on a free agent RB.  Draft one.  

I agree we should draft and not sign a free agent rb, I Just thought this would be a useful discussion.

Being traded is similar to signing as a FA. It’s a player being moved from the team that drafted him and from an offense he’s developed into to a new offense that he has to learn and develop in. Change of scenery makes it similar.

DeMarco Murray was signed before Henry as drafted. They obviously didn’t have a crystal ball and know that Henry would be there 2nd round draft pick the same year. He was signed to be a starter in 2016 and he rushed for 1287 yards and 9 TDs that year.

Gore was still a good signing as a free agent 3 years ago. His age is irrelevant now.

Lamar Miller is a 1000 yd back and a 3 down back, no guarantee you’ll get that with a draft pick.

Deangelo Williams did sign to be a back up but when Le’veon Bell got hurt in 2015 & 16 he played well as a runner and receiver in hi# place, that makes it a successful signing.

Peterson’s signing in New Orleans was stupid, it never made sense because he was going to have to split carries. He obviously could still play and shouldn't have went there. 

Latavias Murray was signed to be the starter in Minnesota but then after they signed him they drafted Cook and cook beat him out.

In all of these cases, signing them or re-signing Morris in 2016 would have been better than going with Matt Jones, Rob Kelley and Perine.

Latavius average 3.9 you. Meh.

Muller 3.7

Williams was 32 when he signed. Pass.

Frank Gore is old and been meh  in Indy

McCoy is an 8 million a year RB. No thanks 

Peterson is old.

Not a single one of them would I pay that much money to. You can draft equivalent performance in the 3rd  round.

45 minutes ago, Slateman said:

Latavius average 3.9 you. Meh.

Muller 3.7

Williams was 32 when he signed. Pass.

Frank Gore is old and been meh  in Indy

McCoy is an 8 million a year RB. No thanks 

Peterson is old.

Not a single one of them would I pay that much money to. You can draft equivalent performance in the 3rd  round.

I knew someone’s would post ypc lol ?Go to the game logs. When they got snaps they either produced as runners or receivers at times which is better than out guys have done most weeks the last 3 years.

I’m not saying sign them now. I’m saying they were good signings for their teams and better then the running backs we’ve drafted and signed as UDFAs since Alfred Morris in 2012.

No doubt we should draft a rb in the first 3 rounds, I’m totally on board with that and have been all year.

In another thread I said you were right last year, we should have done what you wanted and traded back in round 10 to 20 spots and taken Derrick Henry, he’s breaking out and we definitely could have used him the last two seasons. You were right.

Archived