2018 Free Agency

turtle28

I think it’s extremely likely that the Smith trade doesn’t even go down in the 10 worst Redskins trades of the FF era — let alone on the level of the Forsberg deal. I believe it will end up better than at least the following (in no particular order):

- Portis (for Bailey + 2nd)

- McNabb (for 2nd + conditional 3rd/4th)

- RGIII trade (for three 1sts and a 2nd)

- Jason Taylor (for 2nd + conditional 6th)

- Jason Campbell trade up (for 3rd + future 1st and 4th)

- Brandon Lloyd (for 3rd + future 4th)

- TJ Duckett (for 3rd and future 4th)

- Mark Brunell (for 3rd)

- Jammal Brown (plus 5th for 3rd)

- Pete Kendall (for 4th)

Some of those aren’t awful deals. Some are. I didn’t really even include trades that were decent in theory but turned out terribly because of bad draft luck (like getting James Thrash for a 5th that turned out to be Trent Cole or trading up to get Rocky McIntosh for two picks that turned out to be Anthony Fasano and Eric Weddle). 

But I think the Smith trade will end up looking better than all of them. First of all, the positional value favors us immensely. If Fuller turns into Revis or Sherman as a true #1 corner, maybe that changes a little — but generally speaking, no one ever says “wow, they got that totally rad slot corner plus a pick and all they had to give up was the 2nd winningest QB in their franchise history?” And second of all, and obviously much more importantly, I think Smith still has good football left in him. I don’t see him as a McNabb or a Brunell or a Jason Taylor who peaked 6 years ago and is now on the steadily slickening downslope of his career. 

Anyway, point being, let’s not get overwrought about that trade. It’s got a lot of competition to be one of the worst in recent Redskins history, let alone in the recent history of all the DC teams. 

On 5/10/2018 at 9:24 AM, MikeT14 said:

By the way, I get the argument for the RG3 one. It's right there. It's just not #1 to me.

I'd also argue the RG3 trade wouldn't look so bad if they had shut him down in late December when he was gimpy, and certainly not let him take the field in the second half of that playoff game.

On 5/10/2018 at 12:51 PM, turtle28 said:

The only reason trades like T.J. Duckett, Brandon Lloyd, Jason Taylor, Donovan McNabb and RG3 went down as bad trades is because they were either one year wonders for us or did nothing for us long term.

Well, with that sight unseen contract extension, he certainly will be here longer than one year ...

On 5/10/2018 at 3:20 PM, e16bball said:

but generally speaking, no one ever says “wow, they got that totally rad slot corner plus a pick and all they had to give up was the 2nd winningest QB in their franchise history?”

Would not have predicted that.

Of course, the writing was on the wall that they were getting rid of Smith after the 2017 season when they traded up for Mahomes in the 2017 draft. So, in essence, it was closer to "wow, we got a slot corner and a pick for a guy we were going to cut? SCORE!"

On 5/10/2018 at 12:51 PM, turtle28 said:

If... IF Alex Smith leads the team to the playoffs multiple times and even some playoff wins there’s no way it goes down as a bad trade.

The only reason trades like T.J. Duckett, Brandon Lloyd, Jason Taylor, Donovan McNabb and RG3 went down as bad trades is because they were either one year wonders for us or did nothing for us long term.

If we do well with Alex most will forget about losing Fuller; especially if Dunny, Monroe and one of our two 7th round corners turn into something decent.

To be fair, some of us predicted these would be lousy trades when we made them.

I remember not liking giving up the picks on the Portis, Duckett and especially the Lloyd trades but I was excited about getting the players. 

I definitely was excited about getting Portis but hated losing Bailey more than getting Portis. I thought we got fleeced because we had to give Denver a 2nd. Still, I did love Portis.

While I thought the trade for Duckett was a waste because we had Betts, I was shocked that Duckett didn’t play better for us. I thought Duckett would be like a Gerald Riggs type running back for us like he was in Atlanta and I was extremely disappointed he was a flop.

I was shocked we gave up so much to get Brandon Lloyd. We overpaid for him for sure but I did think he was going to be a good wr for us and we needed a #2 opposite Moss which would have allowed Randle El to just be a slot WR. The entire situation just flopped though because of Lloyd’s immaturity and horrible practice habits. That led to Gibbs not playing him which I understood but also was a mistake because Lloyd has talent and could have helped the team while he was here.

10 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

Didn't we trade for Jeremiah Trotter?

If so? That is DEFINITELY one of, if not the worst trade we ever made.

But he might have been a FA pick up. Can't remember.

He was a Free Agent. I loved that signing but a big disappointment with us . 

I don't remember all the details about Trotter. I don't remember him being awful, but I know he was only here 2 years.

I looked up his numbers... they were pretty similar to his time in PHI. What went wrong? I really don't remember.

21 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I don't remember all the details about Trotter. I don't remember him being awful, but I know he was only here 2 years.

I looked up his numbers... they were pretty similar to his time in PHI. What went wrong? I really don't remember.

As I remember - foggily. They wanted him to cover in the passing game . Not his forte. Turtle can probably fill us in !

Archived