2018 Free Agency

turtle28

2 hours ago, mike23md said:

It has been 10 years, and, frankly, I am tired of comparing every S we have had to Taylor. Taylor was special. We all know that. But no one can be like him. Not Earl Thomas, not Landon Collins, not Swearinger, not anyone. No player's scouting report ever says: emulates Sean Taylor. Plays like Sean Taylor. 

Nicholson is a FS that has a lot of range and is able to close on the ball quickly. He has good size and long arms which allows him to be competitive for jump balls. I liked him coming out of Michigan State and there was not a lot of tape on him. 

@turtle28 I am not attacking you, but I just get sick of every S that comes into the league comparing themselves to Sean Taylor. Any prospect that says that, immediately signs their fate to me. It takes a lot to live up to someone like Taylor and I don't think anyone should. 

I agree, but sadly that’s the only person we have to compare a young FS too. I wish it wasn’t so, but we haven’t even had an average FS since ST was killed. 

57 minutes ago, Dashing202 said:

Wait turtle did you just compare Nicholson to Sean Taylor coverage skills .

I'm just mind boggled how we are making Nicholson look legit . He's shown flashes and that's all . 

No, I didn’t say he was Sean Taylor in any way. I said he’s the first FS we’ve had since Sean that has any kind of range to make plays on the back end as a single high. 

You May think Swearinger is better than Nicholson but the tape doesn’t lie. Swearinger got beat deep a handful of times this year and Nicholson didn’t vet often - if ever.

Swearinger is a fine safety whose forte is as an in the box type SS who plays a lot like a WLB but he got burnt a lot this year in intermediate to deep coverage and when Nicholson was out there we didn’t get beat deep very often - if ever.

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

No, I didn’t say he was Sean Taylor in any way. I said he’s the first FS we’ve had since Sean that has any kind of range to make plays on the back end as a single high. 

You May think Swearinger is better than Nicholson but the tape doesn’t lie. Swearinger got beat deep a handful of times this year and Nicholson didn’t vet often - if ever.

Swearinger is a fine safety whose forte is as an in the box type SS who plays a lot like a WLB but he got burnt a lot this year in intermediate to deep coverage and when Nicholson was out there we didn’t get beat deep very often - if ever.

Edit : im going to  keep things short .. turtle DJ better than Nicholson. 

20 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Dear god, I swear if I have to read any more crap about us needing a FS.   

And all the freakin mockers think we need one. Makes me sick sometimes that people think if we don't have a guy like ST, then we need one. No S can make a name for themselves with the Redskins. 

“Like we addressed our defensive line, we tried to get Calais Campbell last year, but we ended up getting Stacy McGee and… Who was the other one?” Gruden said, reaching for McClain’s name. “Oh, yeah. McClain. So we got two guys for basically the price of one, or three for the price of one, so there’s other ways to attack it.”

Your Head Coach, Jay Gruden.

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2018/01/24/jay-gruden-redskins-wanted-calais-campbell-in-2017/ 

On 1/23/2018 at 12:14 PM, mike23md said:

And all the freakin mockers think we need one. Makes me sick sometimes that people think if we don't have a guy like ST, then we need one. No S can make a name for themselves with the Redskins. 

Because the only safety we have is DJ. Nicholson gonna be a project player we are hoping can be that guy. 

6 minutes ago, Dashing202 said:

Calais Campbell was a beast but he would of cost bread . 

$60 mill 4 years, $30 mill guaranteed and he was 31,,age 32 at the start of this coming season. Hell of a player but not me .. I'm not doing that contract. Seems they got their monies worth-at least for one year .

59 minutes ago, A TRAIN 89 said:

Looks like Mason Foster is back! Tells Grant and Danny on 106.7 The Fan that he signed a 2 year deal. Good to get him under contract with Zach Brown's status up in the air.

Interesting.  He's been solid when he's played.

Archived