2018 Free Agency

turtle28

14 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

Very sensible. We're paying McGee/McClain around $5M per year EACH. Foster has been much more productive and will only cost between $2M-$3.5M a pop. Between Dunbar and Foster, Redskins have done well early in FA.

I hope Foster can stay healthy. We missed him in those 12 games or so where he was injuried. He’s certainly a good two down LB when healthy.

I’m a bit worried that the Foster signing is Zach Brown insurance. With them re-signing Foster so fast while they’ve been trying to re-sign Brown for a while now but he’s asking for a lot, it makes me worry that unless Brown’s asking price comes down because his market isn’t strong that Brown won’t be back.

5 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I hope Foster can stay healthy. We missed him in those 12 games or so where he was injuried. He’s certainly a good two down LB when healthy.

I’m a bit worried that the Foster signing is Zach Brown insurance. With them re-signing Foster so fast while they’ve been trying to re-sign Brown for a while now but he’s asking for a lot, it makes me worry that unless Brown’s asking price comes down because his market isn’t strong that Brown won’t be back.

not worried about him staying healthy. he is a tough dude who played all 16 games in 2016. injuries will happen, so you can't avoid them. Zach Brown is also a two down LB, so getting Foster at that price is a good deal.

36 minutes ago, A TRAIN 89 said:

not worried about him staying healthy. he is a tough dude who played all 16 games in 2016. injuries will happen, so you can't avoid them. Zach Brown is also a two down LB, so getting Foster at that price is a good deal.

I don't entirely disagree, but that brings up the question about whether to resign Brown or not then?  Is Foster a starter?  If so do we need two two-down only starters?  

3 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

I don't entirely disagree, but that brings up the question about whether to resign Brown or not then?  Is Foster a starter?  If so do we need two two-down only starters?  

This is another instance where I wish the draft preceded free agency. If we could nab a guy like Roquan Smith, we wouldn't need to re-sign Brown.

I think the Redskins like Zach Brown at a certain price. I'm sure they'd like to keep him, but only at that price. We'll see how the cookie crumbles.

Disappointed Foster is back. Not that I think he is a bad player, but the need to upgrade is there and this all but eliminates the idea of drafting a starting caliber ILB. 

That being said, sounds like the contract is reasonable, however if we don’t sign Brown because of 2-3 mill a year difference, I will look at this signing differently.

10 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Disappointed Foster is back. Not that I think he is a bad player, but the need to upgrade is there and this all but eliminates the idea of drafting a starting caliber ILB. 

That being said, sounds like the contract is reasonable, however if we don’t sign Brown because of 2-3 mill a year difference, I will look at this signing differently.

We might draft a ILB maybe in the third imo .

13 hours ago, A TRAIN 89 said:

This is another instance where I wish the draft preceded free agency. If we could nab a guy like Roquan Smith, we wouldn't need to re-sign Brown.

I think the Redskins like Zach Brown at a certain price. I'm sure they'd like to keep him, but only at that price. We'll see how the cookie crumbles.

If that were to happen, the NFL woudl go broke to quick. There would be no need for free agency because teams could fill spots with cheaper talent. Free Agency allows you to go out and get someone before you have to back fill with a younger unknown. 

I would not change that. 

5 minutes ago, Dashing202 said:

https://www.bigcatcountry.com/2018/1/24/16929264/adam-schefter-jacksonville-jaguars-sign-kirk-cousins-alex-smith-move-on-from-blake-bortles

jaguars to target cousins and alex smith . 

If Jaguars either either than Bortles leaves via Adam schefter .

Interesting. They only have 17M in cap space. If Bortles comes off thats 19M more. Plus they have to franchise Allen Robinson which they stated they intend to do. 

2017 WR Franchise Tag #: ~16M

That would leave 20M at this point with no room to sign anyone else or their draft picks. 

They would have to cut Chris Ivory. Saves about 5M. 

Cut Allen Hurns - 7M

That would be the beneficial June 1st Cuts. 

Or they would have to cut Malik Jackson as a designated June 1st cut, which saves 13M. 

Either way, the Jags are going to go into a bad situation if they intend to go after Cousins. At least at the numbers we have talked about. He might give them a discount considering. 

This is why the transition tag makes the most sense. It will allow the Redskins to see a market value for the QB they have, and then match anything that seems reasonable. I honestly dont care about a glorified 4th round pick with a comp pick (essentially the bottom of the 3rd round compensation we would get for Cousins without tagging him at all, franchise or transition). I want the stability at the QB position. 

Archived