The Offseason Thread

ttitansfan4life

10 hours ago, ragevsuall17 said:

I think we desperately need another guy, but Dez is nowhere near my list. Heck, I'd consider Marshall way before I'd consider Dez (and I wouldn't really consider Marshall more than a couple seconds).

Maclin would be the only tried and tested  WR currently available in FA... Oh and Decker, I'd consider bringing him back.

But I hope they keep a close eye on that waiver wire and make a move like they did last year with Decker

I wouldn't be against Decker. I feel like he has a little left in the tank, but was playing for Mularkey/Robiskie

I coulda sworn I posted about Fowler when I first read it... but man... what an intriguing option next year.  I  just don't understand how the Jags guarantee Bortles one year then decline to guarantee Fowler the next.  I guess a question that's coming up in the back of my head is... since Fowler missed all of year 1, would he qualify for the RFA tender next offseason as a player with only 3 "accrued" seasons.  I have to say no, since then technically, they wouldn't be able to decline the option on year 5 yet (since he was technically only entering year 3, not year 4... those little details in the CBA none of us bother to look at). Ultimately, I think they've paid him 3 years worth of money (real and cap), so this will be his 4th accrued season.

Anyway... the intrigue.  I know he missed all of year 1... but he's gone from 4 sacks to 8 the past two seasons.  I also think he's not an ideal fit in a 4-3 and a 3-4 would play more to his strengths.  He's built very similarly to Suggs... and I can't help to make that comparison with Pees in tow.  And with Landry entering year 2 on the other side, we could have the makings of an elite duo on the outside.  If he's able to become more consistent and put up north of 10 sacks, I'd make him a priority FA and splurge on him... heck, we're saving over 17M off the cap with Rak and Morgan coming off the books... that's enough money for a top tier OLB (if Fowler reaches that level this season) and then some.  I know we just paid Butler, and some big contracts are coming our way, namely Lewan and Mariota... but also Byard, Conklin, etc in a couple/few years.  But there's definitely money available on the books for an edge rusher.  

8 hours ago, imDelusional said:

Didn't Decker sign with the Ravens a while ago? Or was that a rumor that I made reality in my head?

Edit: Annnd Google confirms I am indeed losing my mind. Deckey boy is still a free agent.

Yeah.. he visited them last month... and they pursued him last season.  Some Bronco players have "recruited" him and there's been rumors of him to the Giants.  Him and Maclin are by far the most attractive FAs left on the market currently.  I thought Decker did well here... but it doesn't seem him and especially his wife appreciated his usage... she thought he was misused (and with Robiskie taking more control of the offense, I won't say I disagree with her).  I wouldn't mind seeing how much Maclin has left... he's only 29 right now, and will be 30 when the season begins.

53 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

I coulda sworn I posted about Fowler when I first read it... but man... what an intriguing option next year.  I  just don't understand how the Jags guarantee Bortles one year then decline to guarantee Fowler the next.  I guess a question that's coming up in the back of my head is... since Fowler missed all of year 1, would he qualify for the RFA tender next offseason as a player with only 3 "accrued" seasons.  I have to say no, since then technically, they wouldn't be able to decline the option on year 5 yet (since he was technically only entering year 3, not year 4... those little details in the CBA none of us bother to look at). Ultimately, I think they've paid him 3 years worth of money (real and cap), so this will be his 4th accrued season.

Anyway... the intrigue.  I know he missed all of year 1... but he's gone from 4 sacks to 8 the past two seasons.  I also think he's not an ideal fit in a 4-3 and a 3-4 would play more to his strengths.  He's built very similarly to Suggs... and I can't help to make that comparison with Pees in tow.  And with Landry entering year 2 on the other side, we could have the makings of an elite duo on the outside.  If he's able to become more consistent and put up north of 10 sacks, I'd make him a priority FA and splurge on him... heck, we're saving over 17M off the cap with Rak and Morgan coming off the books... that's enough money for a top tier OLB (if Fowler reaches that level this season) and then some.  I know we just paid Butler, and some big contracts are coming our way, namely Lewan and Mariota... but also Byard, Conklin, etc in a couple/few years.  But there's definitely money available on the books for an edge rusher.  

Fowler at $14M is insane. 

He's a rotational edge at this point barring more development under Hobby. You don't pay a rotational edge that much. To get that production you have to scheme him to go up against TE's/poor pass protection RT's. Not to mention when you have Yannick/Malik/Calais being focused there's going to be cleanup opportunities.

I like Fowler but there's no way it'd be smart financially to commit $14M to him. I hope we extend him for depth/rotational purposes, but not at that #.

22 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Fowler at $14M is insane. 

He's a rotational edge at this point barring more development under Hobby. You don't pay a rotational edge that much. To get that production you have to scheme him to go up against TE's/poor pass protection RT's. Not to mention when you have Yannick/Malik/Calais being focused there's going to be cleanup opportunities.

I like Fowler but there's no way it'd be smart financially to commit $14M to him. I hope we extend him for depth/rotational purposes, but not at that #.

And if he takes the next step?  The 14M is guaranteed for injury only. Injury is a concern obviously, but this is a guy who's played all 16 games the past 2 seasons, right?  Maybe there's some lingering or nagging injuries that I just haven't tracked.  I'm not going to claim to know even half as much about him as a Jag fan... but he's intriguing as hell to me as a FA. 

There's still a lot to be proven... He has to be more consistent... but he's also a guy who had 46 pressures last year (85 the past 2 seasons now).  I'd like to see what guys like Vrabel and Pees could do for a guy who has at least shown the ability to get after the QB.  Build wise, athleticism wise... he's got Suggs written all over him.  There's still a lot of time for him to put it together.  His trajectory so far (at least statistically) isn't far off from Clowney's through their first 3 years.  So it's easy for me to explain my intrigue... just as how it's probably easy for you Jags fans to explain why 14M is not a wise move at this moment.  Both these opinions could be correct...

If he continues to progress... stabalizes some parts of his game and becomes more consistent... I repeat that I'd love the Titans to prioritize him and sign him to a sizeable contract.  I see that potential in him... and eventhough I haven't paid much attention to him up to this point, he's a guy I'll be watching all next season for sure.  

5 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

And if he takes the next step?  The 14M is guaranteed for injury only. Injury is a concern obviously, but this is a guy who's played all 16 games the past 2 seasons, right?  Maybe there's some lingering or nagging injuries that I just haven't tracked.  I'm not going to claim to know even half as much about him as a Jag fan... but he's intriguing as hell to me as a FA. 

There's still a lot to be proven... He has to be more consistent... but he's also a guy who had 46 pressures last year (85 the past 2 seasons now).  I'd like to see what guys like Vrabel and Pees could do for a guy who has at least shown the ability to get after the QB.  Build wise, athleticism wise... he's got Suggs written all over him.  There's still a lot of time for him to put it together.  His trajectory so far (at least statistically) isn't far off from Clowney's through their first 3 years.  So it's easy for me to explain my intrigue... just as how it's probably easy for you Jags fans to explain why 14M is not a wise move at this moment.  Both these opinions could be correct...

If he continues to progress... stabalizes some parts of his game and becomes more consistent... I repeat that I'd love the Titans to prioritize him and sign him to a sizeable contract.  I see that potential in him... and eventhough I haven't paid much attention to him up to this point, he's a guy I'll be watching all next season for sure.  

Fowler has upside, but I think you gotta take a look at him on tape and not just box score watch. Clowney showed dominance and looking the part. I have yet to see anything resembling that from Fowler. He's just a very solid rotational edge. If Ray doesn't get upped at 9M, than Fowler sure as heck shouldn't at 14.

Considering we have Ramsey, Ngakoue, and Jack coming up and needing extensions and Calais, Malik, Dareus, Bouye, Gip, etc. on deals you can't pay everyone. It is only an injury guarantee but it would become incredibly difficult to manuever if something were to happen and those three guys are WAY more important than Fowler to get locked up.

1 hour ago, ragevsuall17 said:

If Fowler doesn’t fit in Jacksonville what makes you think he fits with us, when we run the same defense. A hybrid 3-4. Were not going to a traditional 3-4 like pees ran into Baltimore, Vrabel is on record saying depending on matchups we may go 4-3 or 3-4 which is why he wants guys that can play more than one position. 

7 hours ago, TitanRedd said:

If Fowler doesn’t fit in Jacksonville what makes you think he fits with us, when we run the same defense. A hybrid 3-4. Were not going to a traditional 3-4 like pees ran into Baltimore, Vrabel is on record saying depending on matchups we may go 4-3 or 3-4 which is why he wants guys that can play more than one position. 

Its funny you keep stating the same thing, but no one has seen what we're going to run. Repeating it over and over again doesnt make it so...

While I expect our fronts to vary and for us to put a 4th guy as a hand in the ground type player from time to time, saying we play the same d as the Jags is flat out incorrect. 

7 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Fowler has upside, but I think you gotta take a look at him on tape and not just box score watch.

Definitely... I'm admitting that my knowledge of him is limited to a couple games per year and really based on stat sheets and box scores (PFF isn't high on him, but there's always a few grains of salt to swallow when reading their stuff). But I'm intrigued and will definitely try to keep an eye in him this year (which will be easier than in years past with both our teams finally having more games outside the early Sunday game).

I get that hes surrounded by some great talent on that line, but I'm if he truly racked up 8 sacks and 46 combined pressure solely on scheme and the players around him... Well damn!! Hes got some to prove and Landry a whole lot as well... But I think we could a lot worse than that young duo replacing two great vets like Rak and Morgan

Obviously just highlights, but I see a good player... I guess I just dont see how scheme got him in position for these plays morefo than him just winning his matchup...

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000908623/Brady-gets-happy-feet-as-Fowler-Jr-collapses-pocket-for-second-sack

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000854401/Dante-Fowler-strip-sacks-Josh-McCown-to-put-the-game-into-OT

Its funny you keep stating the same thing, but no one has seen what we're going to run. Repeating it over and over again doesnt make it so...

While I expect our fronts to vary and for us to put a 4th guy as a hand in the ground type player from time to time, saying we play the same d as the Jags is flat out incorrect. 

The jags run a hybrid 3-4 the scheme that we run, the only difference is they plan more man & cover 3 were we played more zone blitzing & man. Malik Jackson 3 tech/DT Campbell 5tech DE Ngokue Rush LB like Orakpo same defense Gus Bradley ran wit Seahawks. & I keep saying over & over that we’re not running a traditional 3-4 cause I watch all Vrabel interviews & im stating what he said. ??‍♂️ But I guess y’all want to see us run a traditional 3-4 so bad cause that’s what pees ran in Baltimore.

mularkey was fired because of stubbornness failure to scheme off players skill set. Okay traditional 3-4 requires 2 5 tech DE’s okay you just made our best interior pass rusher a none threat in Casey. He’s best use as a 3 tech. Morgan can’t cover or play in space.  He’s best at LEO LB. set the run read as he rush. Go online watch Vrabel interviews. He wants versatility, just like in NE, & HOU he wants us to be interchangeable going 4-3 or 3-4 depending on matchups keeping the offense guessing. We don’t have the pieces to run a traditional 3-4 at LB.

Obviously just highlights, but I see a good player... I guess I just dont see how scheme got him in position for these plays morefo than him just winning his matchup...

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000908623/Brady-gets-happy-feet-as-Fowler-Jr-collapses-pocket-for-second-sack

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000854401/Dante-Fowler-strip-sacks-Josh-McCown-to-put-the-game-into-OT

But I won’t bring it up no more traditional 3-4 it is, put cassey at 5 tech next yr, lets get Fowler next yr him & Landry on the outside ???.

Archived