The Offseason Thread

ttitansfan4life

8 hours ago, TitanRedd said:

The jags run a hybrid 3-4 the scheme that we run, the only difference is they plan more man & cover 3 were we played more zone blitzing & man. Malik Jackson 3 tech/DT Campbell 5tech DE Ngokue Rush LB like Orakpo same defense Gus Bradley ran wit Seahawks. & I keep saying over & over that we’re not running a traditional 3-4 cause I watch all Vrabel interviews & im stating what he said. ??‍♂️ But I guess y’all want to see us run a traditional 3-4 so bad cause that’s what pees ran in Baltimore.

mularkey was fired because of stubbornness failure to scheme off players skill set. Okay traditional 3-4 requires 2 5 tech DE’s okay you just made our best interior pass rusher a none threat in Casey. He’s best use as a 3 tech. Morgan can’t cover or play in space.  He’s best at LEO LB. set the run read as he rush. Go online watch Vrabel interviews. He wants versatility, just like in NE, & HOU he wants us to be interchangeable going 4-3 or 3-4 depending on matchups keeping the offense guessing. We don’t have the pieces to run a traditional 3-4 at LB.

I can't follow you bro... You state thing, then contradict yourself, state things in absolutes... You talk about techniques, but im not sure you tske into account how they and defenses in general have evolved in recent years (today's 5 techs are not your father's 5 techs)... I'm really not sure you understand what you're saying yourself... Its like you've heard a couple of catch phrases and went with it without really understanding.

For all of LeBeau's faultd, you act like he couldn't comprehend basics. You sound like Casey was wasting away in his role... Yet I see 3 consecutive pro bowls... And most recently 6 sacks, 14 QB hits and 32 pressures... Too bad we're wasting him away not knowing how to use him. (Not to mention PFF rated him the best DE vs the run, fwtw).

I dont disagree that we're running multiple fronts this year (even if we dont have any data to know exactly how diverse yet)... But I also see that we've run multiple fronts the previous few years. And while at times, we will have similar looks to what the Jags run, we do not run the same D as them.

7 hours ago, Justin615$ said:

Is that list of pass rushers supposed to be impressive? Lol I would hope Fowler is better than them as they all suck.

Lol, yes, that was exactly my intent with the post. Not the videos showing Fowler winning individual matchups (and at least one double team) and not winning only based on scheme.

Here's some info from a couple seasons ago from PFF... Again, see past the label, and pay attention to what actually happens on the field. I'll see if I can find the breakdown from last season, but you'll find its similar. 

The reality of what Casey and many other interior defenders are as players is somewhat masked by the desire to pigeon hole players with the name of a position. Is Casey the 3-4 defensive end very different to Casey the defensive tackle from 2013?

Casey by Technique

In the reality that is his pre-snap alignment he probably isn’t massively different. 58% of Casey’s pass rushes last season came in sub-packages with five or more defensive backs on the field, with 34 of his 51 pressures coming on those 282 pass rushes. Consequently Casey spent more time rushing the passer from his familiar 3-tech alignment than any other and it was, unsurprisingly, his most productive alignment as well.

Much like with Calais Campbell, the designation of 3-4 defensive end skews our understanding of the role that many 3-4 defensive ends play in the modern NFL. With so many three-receiver sets, defenses are in their nickel and dime packages so often that many 3-4 defensive ends are spending as much time as a 3-tech defensive tackle as they are as a “true” 3-4 defensive end.

Just because two teams run what they call a" hybrid" 3-4 defense, doesn't mean they run the same defense. 

I also wouldn't put much stock into what Vrabel says about the defense in introductory press conferences. Saying your defense is 'Coverage simplicity, Front Multiplicity' is brilliant coach speak because its vague and tells people nothing about the actual defense while giving people plenty of fodder to speculate on. At this point the best example of what our defense could be would be to study Baltimore. Vrabel brought in Pees for a reason, he knows Pees runs the type of defense he wants to play. Vrabel will provide nuance of his own, but I think its difficult to know exactly what that nuance is given he only really has 1 year of DC experience.

8 hours ago, ragevsuall17 said:

I can't follow you bro... You state thing, then contradict yourself, state things in absolutes... You talk about techniques, but im not sure you tske into account how they and defenses in general have evolved in recent years (today's 5 techs are not your father's 5 techs)... I'm really not sure you understand what you're saying yourself... Its like you've heard a couple of catch phrases and went with it without really understanding.

For all of LeBeau's faultd, you act like he couldn't comprehend basics. You sound like Casey was wasting away in his role... Yet I see 3 consecutive pro bowls... And most recently 6 sacks, 14 QB hits and 32 pressures... Too bad we're wasting him away not knowing how to use him. (Not to mention PFF rated him the best DE vs the run, fwtw).

I dont disagree that we're running multiple fronts this year (even if we dont have any data to know exactly how diverse yet)... But I also see that we've run multiple fronts the previous few years. And while at times, we will have similar looks to what the Jags run, we do not run the same D as them.

I’m saying cassey play the 3tech in our hybrid 3-4 which is like a DT in a 4-3. If we run a traditional 3-4 cassey plays a 5 tech DE IT takes him out the inside of the guard & center & puts him outside the tackle & guard 

3 minutes ago, renndawg37 said:

I find it hilarious how people think we will be the worst team in our division this year. People are actually picking the Colts over us with a straight face. Love it. 

Yep. Small market team. Things never change. lol

39 minutes ago, renndawg37 said:

I find it hilarious how people think we will be the worst team in our division this year. People are actually picking the Colts over us with a straight face. Love it. 

Like one of the early 2019 mock drafts has us picking 11th. And most of them have us picking higher than we did this year. 

10 minutes ago, TwoToneBlue said:

Yep. Small market team. Things never change. lol

So are the Colts though... So it doesnt translate. The Colts may honestly have the most untalented roster in the league... I can't see them finishing with anything more than 5 wins. I think they're in serious contention for the top pick in the draft.

Jax should be a favorite. Its unlikely their D replicates their success from last year, but that unit will still be top notch even with some regression. Bortles will dictate how far they go though. 

I dont understand how Houston is being put as a favorite as well though... Even above Jax in some places. I called Watson the best QB in the draft last year, but he's not that good. He had a great month... Thats all it was, a month. And now hes coming back from a pretty serious injury (and not his first one). I hate that they dominated us so bad last year... But I continue to claim it was the perfect storm... And I dont believe there's any chance that happens again.

But ultimately we're as good and will go as far as Mariota can take us. Our defense should be good this year... real good actually. If Mariota bounces back under LaFleur, we're gonna be a damn good team... Who cares what people are saying right now in May.

I never got why people talk about the team being a base 3-4 or whatever so much. On 60% or more of the snaps teams aren't in their "base" defense. Our base defense for the last two years has essentially been a nickel 2-4-5, which is basically what it would be if we played an even front. 2 interior defenders, 2 edge rushers, 2 off-ball LBs, 5 DBs. Call it whatever you want, but the base doesn't matter on the majority of the defensive snaps. If we're looking at how players fit our defense that's the formation I'm looking at, and also why I think NT had been incredibly overrated on these forums since we swapped to a 3-4. On the majority of our snaps we're not going to have a NT on the field because we need  extra DBs going against teams in 11 personnel. A "5-tech" as people call them probably spends more time as a 4 or 4i in todays NFL than they actually do lined up at a 5 due to the lack of a NT being on the field. 

56 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

So are the Colts though... So it doesnt translate. The Colts may honestly have the most untalented roster in the league... I can't see them finishing with anything more than 5 wins. I think they're in serious contention for the top pick in the draft.

Jax should be a favorite. Its unlikely their D replicates their success from last year, but that unit will still be top notch even with some regression. Bortles will dictate how far they go though. 

I dont understand how Houston is being put as a favorite as well though... Even above Jax in some places. I called Watson the best QB in the draft last year, but he's not that good. He had a great month... Thats all it was, a month. And now hes coming back from a pretty serious injury (and not his first one). I hate that they dominated us so bad last year... But I continue to claim it was the perfect storm... And I dont believe there's any chance that happens again.

But ultimately we're as good and will go as far as Mariota can take us. Our defense should be good this year... real good actually. If Mariota bounces back under LaFleur, we're gonna be a damn good team... Who cares what people are saying right now in May.

The Colts had such a long run of success that people give them the benefit of the doubt, but they are a clear #4 in the division currently. 

We haven’t been consistently good yet. If we have another strong season this year then I think we will start getting some respect. 

And I agree that Mariota will be the key. If he can stay healthy, I have full confidence in him to have us back in the playoffs. That’s another annoying thing to me - reading QB rankings. 

Archived