ttitansfan4life

The Offseason Thread

12 hours ago, ragevsuall17 said:

That was definitely a big part of it... can't overstate how important that PR is.  But I think Mariota's system also probably scared them a little bit... still not many college spread QBs have experienced sustained success at this level.  

Ya I understand why Mariota scared Tampa off he’ll a lot of us were scared too but it just blows my mind that once they got Mariota in for private workouts that no one was impressed or atleast had a second thought. 

I remember reading when Mariota was drafted that the workouts with Mariota was what blew the Titans away and made them want to draft him. There were rumors pre draft that the Titans were going to stick with Met and draft a defensive player. 

So it is interesting that if that rumor was true that Mariota changed the Titans minds so much how didn’t he even make it tough on Tampa? That’s why I believe Tampa made it more of a PR decision than a football one. 

At the end of the day thanks again Tampa for going with Winston

2 hours ago, Titans fan 617 said:

I remember reading when Mariota was drafted that the workouts with Mariota was what blew the Titans away and made them want to draft him. There were rumors pre draft that the Titans were going to stick with Met and draft a defensive player. 

So it is interesting that if that rumor was true that Mariota changed the Titans minds so much how didn’t he even make it tough on Tampa? That’s why I believe Tampa made it more of a PR decision than a football one. 

All smokescreens.  I think the Titans pretty much knew they were going to go QB from the get go... regardless of who fell to them.  Thanks to the Bucs (including JRob) for making that decision for us. 

As for whatever concerns teams had about Mariota's fit in the NFL... I can't believe Winston didn't scare people off with the multiple claims he had at FSU.  I wasn't a fan of his at all... his off-field stuff was way too much for me to even consider drafting him.  I wasn't a fan of Mariota either... had the same scheme fit concerns everyone had.  I wanted Cooper (or that Eagles trade), and was 100% certain Bryce Petty would be the best QB in the draft... and was someone we could grab in the 3rd... O.o

Anyway... that was a long winded way to come back to Winston... man, can the Bucs admit and justify cutting him now... even if they just picked up his 5th year option (guaranteed only for injury)? At what point is the off-field stuff just too much?

28 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

you posted this 28 min ago and nobody from the Jags forum has come in to dispute this. a new record!

1 hour ago, deeluxx3 said:

you posted this 28 min ago and nobody from the Jags forum has come in to dispute this. a new record!

Lmao truth!!!

4 hours ago, TitanLegend said:

matt lafleur has a big ol grin on his face rn

On 6/21/2018 at 4:02 PM, ragevsuall17 said:

I'm not a fan of Winston... I'm team MM8 all the way... but to be fair... MM8 has missed 6 full* games and parts of others in his career... Winston's only missed 3 (all last year).

How do the Bucs even think of giving him a 2nd contract now? That situation is absolutely effed for them. It's a no win. This 3 game could end up being more. And even worse you can't trust him to not do something ridiculous in the future. And it's not like his play has justified it either. We really dodged a major bullet.

I was one of the idiots that thought we could get by with Mett and Amari Cooper instead of Mariota. 

But I was never a guy that thought Winston was better pick than Marcus. 

Winston is another stupid decision away from potential ban. 

So glad we didn't go that way. 

On 6/29/2018 at 9:42 AM, KingTitan said:

I was one of the idiots that thought we could get by with Mett and Amari Cooper instead of Mariota. 

But I was never a guy that thought Winston was better pick than Marcus. 

Winston is another stupid decision away from potential ban. 

So glad we didn't go that way. 

Well not only was I one of the idiots who thought we could roll with Mett-Life and wanted us to take Leonard Williams instead of Mariota, I DID prefer Winston over Marcus if we went QB.  I was a lot more familiar with Winston because I watched him for a couple of season, and only heard of Mariota.  Like the critics, I felt that Winston was more pro ready and I loved his leadership skills.  He and FSU kept making those miracle comebacks because they had that "dog" in them, and he led the way.  Marcus, on the other hand, just had way too many questions around him.  His ability to run a pro-style offense, call plays, arm strength, leadership, etc.  So I was VERY skeptical about him. 

But I was never so glad to be so wrong!!!

Jeff Fisher in talks with FOX to call games. 

Titans happen to be on FOX week 1 anyone want to bet he ends up calling Titans Dolphins ?

2 minutes ago, Titans fan 617 said:

Jeff Fisher in talks with FOX to call games. 

Titans happen to be on FOX week 1 anyone want to bet he ends up calling Titans Dolphins ?

I'm always interested in seeing coaches get booth jobs. Feel they give the best insight. Titans radio bringing on Dave McGinnis is one of the best things they've ever done, gives a lot of interesting insight in to the games. ESPN bringing in Urban Meyer when he took his break was great too.

I also still hope the best for Fisher. 99-03 and 06-08 were some fun times

One of the more disappointing things in my Titans fandom is how Fisher's career ended and his legacy being a bit of a punchline. He was an elite coach before the game obviously passed him by, but even then he was solid at taking mediocre rosters and making them at least somewhat competent. Guarantee he would have won some games if he was the Browns coach these last couple seasons.

More relevant to this news though, he definitely knows (or at least knew) the rules inside and out, so I think he'd do fine as an analyst. So many announcers are terrible, but I really hate when I'm watching the game and they're saying things that are just flat out wrong about the rules or a challenge or something. Don't think that would ever be the case with Fisher.