The Offseason Thread

ttitansfan4life

Paul Richardson is my 1st option he can run routes, stretch the field is a solid # 2 offense that thrived playing in a discombobulated offense with a top 10 QB. He can play inside & out & he’ll take advantage of 1 on 1 coverage. Landry is strictly a slot he doesn’t separate his game is dez Bryant, not today’s dez Bryant but the younger dez Bryant before the injuries only he’s a slot WR & dez was an outside receiver. He’s more quick than fast, strong hands, sick after the catch playing in traffic  but he can’t separate he knows how to get open with his body & catch radius. 

Give me Richardson a guy that knows how to adjust break off his route come back to his QB, & if that doesn’t work Brice Butler 6’3 215 he can get open & can flat out fly 

42 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

Richardson I could get behind as a cheap option, but Butler has been in the NFL for 6 years and has never eclipsed 21 receptions. He's gonna be competing with Sharpe to be active on Sunday.

True but I look at him as a #3 #4 option Davis is our #1 delanie #2 Matthews #3 Butler to me can be better Decker & Decker was our 3 #4 option 

My mock draft I’ll be posting soon including FA acquisitions 

1st Rd Ronnie Harrison Safety(Alabama) 6’3 215lb safety that can fly around the field, play in space, has ball skills. Alabama played him single high a lot & matched Minkah in the slot, & also matched him against opponents TE’s

2nd Darrius Leonard ILB (S.Carolina). Reminds me of Jammie Collins but better in coverage.Side line to side line speed can blitz & tackling machine 

3rd Frank Ragnow G/C (Arkansas) a technician can play both guard & center & plays nasty.

4th Nyheim Hines RB (NC ST) very versatile weapon in the backfield, has some Deion Lewis to him, is dynamite in space, can KR line out wide catch out the backfield.

6th rd Eddy Pinero kicker  (Florida) ??‍♂️ Has a very strong leg YouTube videos of him kicking from 70 plus yards. stash him on the practice squad for a year I guess. Succop is money I say 40-50 yards out but his leg strength isn’t getting stronger 

Have us trading a 5th round pick to Buffalo for Cordy Glenn, Buffalo is trying to cut cap space. Glenn is a elite T/G when healthy, 3yrs 24 mill left on his deal I think a 5th round is worth it. Give us some beef in the middle, & Conklin insurance.. ? wonder what y’all think #TitanUp

I've never been impressesed any time I've seen Landry. He specializes in finding a soft spot in short zones... But I dont see break away quickness or speed. Really, watch his "highlight" video and then watch one of Amendola. Other than uni and skin color, I wouldn't be able to tell them apart... Yet I'm expecting to buy into giving one of them a premier contract? 

I fully trust that Davis and Matthews can get 987 yards if they were the focus of that many passes. Landry's hands are the only thing I'd say is a plus attribute. 

He didn't lead the league in yac... he was 7th, and 2nd for WRs only. He was also 3rd in the NFL in targets and led in receptions. Yet he averaged 8.8 ypr this year. Thats his second season he's averaged 9 ypr or less in a season, and he sits at 10.1 for his career. Looking at the top 50 yardage leaders, Welker is the lowest at 11.0. No one else is under 12, even those guys like Carter and Fitz (both 12.8 career guys) were bigger bodied red zone extraordinaires (130 and 110 TDs each, respectively).

I'm not saying guys like Welker and Landry and Amendola are bad... Not at all, they're extremely breakable guys. I'm just saying I'm not breaking the bank for someone who's not a game breaker/changer. 

I'm not saying this means 100% Landry won't be signed... but it goes against what some of you think LaFleur is bringing with him to Nashville.  From PFT:

LaFleur said it’s difficult to “dink and dunk” your way down the field and that he’s going to emphasize explosive plays. Much of the onus to create those plays will fall on quarterback Marcus Mariota...

I don't think looking for explosive plays exclusively rules out emphasizing the short passing game. Everything I've heard about the offenses he has worked with has involved excelling in running the ball and high percentage passes and then having your play-action game off of that. Also, the Rams were able to get a lot of explosive plays off of short passes and screens.  YAC should be a big emphasis.

I don't necessarily think it means we're going to turn into a vertical passing offense, as that's not what the Rams were, nor does it play to Mariota's strengths.

Play actions, RPO's, screens, deep passes (especially off those play actions)... I definitely expect to see a diverse offense next season.  

As far as deep passing... I have two observations... Goff ended up in the top 10 in 3 "deep" categories last season: 9th in adjusted deep pass completion %, 10th in deep pass passer rating, and 10th in passing yards from deep passes.  A side note on this first observation... Mariota ended the 2016 season as one of the top deep passers in the league... at least statistically speaking.  (Also of note, PFF ranked Ryan the best deep passer in 2016... as they noted that Shannahan, who LaFleur has spent 8 of the past 10 years with, has "some of the best play action deep throw concepts)

Matt Ryan focused on improving his deep ball this past offseason, and it’s paid off in a big way. He sits among the top NFL quarterbacks in every major deep-ball category, is the current leader in deep-passing yards, with 721, and is tied for first in deep-passing TDs, at seven. Ryan’s 58.8 adjusted completion percentage on deep throws puts him at fifth in that regard, and his 140.3 quarterback rating on deep passes is second only to Tom Brady.

Kyle Shanahan boasts some of the best play-action deep-throw concepts in the NFL, and seems to find the perfect route combinations week after week to attack the opponent, and Ryan is connecting.

2nd observation is from taken from McVay himself, in reference to Mariota.  In that same PFT article I referenced before, McVay stated:

You can see the talent he possesses... There’s really three prerequisites to playing the position. No. 1, you have to be a natural thrower. You better be fearless in the pocket, be able to stand in there. And then the last one is those intangibles. I think he possesses all of those. … We’re going to be extremely detailed with his fundamentals and his footwork, because I think that leads to more consistent quarterback play.

Anyone can read into that what they will... but to me he's saying he trusts in his ability to make the throws he going to ask of him... and that he's going to need him to stand in there.  This latter part in particular tells me there's going to be some deep concepts in the offense... you don't expect a QB to be fearless and stay in the pocket if he's constantly taking quick 3 step drop backs.  It means sometimes he'll take deeper drops... and he'll stand there on play action plays, giving deeper routes time to develop.  Do I think we're going to be a strictly vertical offense? No.  I do believe we'll implement those into the game plan more heavily, but I also understand some of those explosive plays will come from short passes that will be designed to allow players to break them the distance... I'm thinking Gurley a few months ago against us (thinking about that makes me want to invest heavily in RB this offseason, either by going for the best option in FA, or going RB early in the draft).  

Either way, whether it be getting open on deep passes, or taking a short pass and taking it the distance... my comments were in relation to Landry.  Averaging 10.1 yards per reception and 22 TDs (or just over 5 per season) on 570 targets for his career does not scream... heck, it doesn't even whisper... "explosive" to me.  

Here's a couple of play designs that I can expect to see the Titans run a couple of times this season... and I do believe Mariota is capable of doing this...

@ragevsuall17 I 100% agree with you on Landry, even if I didn't think he'd be overpaid. 

I think Mariota can make those throws as well. We saw him last year hit Kendall Wright in the end zone on something similar. I think it was 3rd and short also. We did some of those plays with Matthews and they came up big, but he didn't separate like Watkins and Woods did there, I think he had to make somewhat contested catches. Hopefully Davis adds that explosive element on the outside in those one-on-one situations so we can take advantage of the cover 1 safeties creeping up.

I just think we'll pick and chose our spots on the deep passes and seek to create chunk plays in a variety of ways, as you mentioned we saw the Rams do against us.

Archived