The Offseason Thread

ttitansfan4life

1 hour ago, Titans fan 617 said:

The Watkins TD alone is something Mularkey and Robiskie refused to do and all I mean is simply boot leg Marcus out of the pocket 

Funny thing... And I swear I just noticed... But both those plays came out of bunch formations and 3 man routes (Woods' TD had a 4th on a delayed route). 

1 hour ago, TitanSS said:

@ragevsuall17 I 100% agree with you on Landry, even if I didn't think he'd be overpaid. 

I think Mariota can make those throws as well. We saw him last year hit Kendall Wright in the end zone on something similar. I think it was 3rd and short also. We did some of those plays with Matthews and they came up big, but he didn't separate like Watkins and Woods did there, I think he had to make somewhat contested catches. Hopefully Davis adds that explosive element on the outside in those one-on-one situations so we can take advantage of the cover 1 safeties creeping up.

I just think we'll pick and chose our spots on the deep passes and seek to create chunk plays in a variety of ways, as you mentioned we saw the Rams do against us.

The more I look at McVay and Shannahan's offenses, the more I get excited. Its strange, because I'm seeing more and more similarities to what Mularkey and Biscuits tried to do the past two years... But with additional wrinkles which produce significantly better results somehow.

But at their best, their teams have a strong running game (Morris, Freeman, Gurley) and heavy play action involvement. RPOs are also very prominent. Henry is more Morris than Freeman/Gurley so he could be successful in what I think LaFleur's offense will be, but I think I'm making RB one of my higher priorities this off season. 

Where before I was looking at guys like Wadley or Carter in the 3rd/4th... I may now look at someone like Guice or Love in the 1st. We'll see how JRob attacks FA to have a better feel of what we may do... But that's one of my early thoughts. I think Guice would be more that complete type of back, but Love offers that Kamara/ McCaffrey big play potential and "explosiveness". Jones, Johnson, and Michel also offer intriguing potential in the 2nd round range.

Sony Michel is another man-crush of mine, but I don't see us spending on a RB in the first round or Michel hanging until the end of the second.

I don't think the offense necessarily requires a high investment at RB. The Falcons did it with Devonta Freeman last year and the Redskins had Alfred Morris in RG3s rookie year. Each hitting 4.8 YPC. I didn't check any other years. Neither of them are speedsters. I think Henry's body type leads us to believe he would thrive in a power-run man-blocking scheme, but I feel like the way he actually runs will work great in a zone-blocking scheme. His "hesitation" that we complain about in the man scheme could turn in to "patience" in a zone scheme.

46 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

Sony Michel is another man-crush of mine, but I don't see us spending on a RB in the first round or Michel hanging until the end of the second.

I don't think the offense necessarily requires a high investment at RB. The Falcons did it with Devonta Freeman last year and the Redskins had Alfred Morris in RG3s rookie year. Each hitting 4.8 YPC. I didn't check any other years. Neither of them are speedsters. I think Henry's body type leads us to believe he would thrive in a power-run man-blocking scheme, but I feel like the way he actually runs will work great in a zone-blocking scheme. His "hesitation" that we complain about in the man scheme could turn in to "patience" in a zone scheme.

He could... But from what I know of zone blocking, it requires RBs to be smart enough to wait for the hole and hit it immediately once its there. I think the term cut and go has also been used to describe successful rbs in this scheme. 

Does Henry have that vision or rb intelligence? I dont know, but he hasn't shown it much. He too often missed an obvious hole and looked to bounce it outside. Those are 2 things going against him right now... But maybe the new staff/scheme can help him develop those skills.

Love is really the only speedster I mentioned above. He's got the "CJ" style of the group. Everyone else are more rounded 3 down backs, in the style of Hurley and Freeman. Guice especially would be a steal if he fell to our spot in the 1st.

Our running game would go through the outside zonw, which I feel could benefit Henry's running style. It may not, but I feel like he has shown some patience that is often labeled as hesitation. He has a zone runners brain in a power-runners body.

2 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

Our running game would go through the outside zonw, which I feel could benefit Henry's running style. It may not, but I feel like he has shown some patience that is often labeled as hesitation. He has a zone runners brain in a power-runners body.

He just need carries I believe he can get the job done 

On 1/31/2018 at 9:52 AM, ragevsuall17 said:

Outside of the Vikings, I just don't think any other team offers much more than rest.  Cards could have a shot, but how long is Fitz staying?  How long can they keep that defense and how quickly can they build around the offense.  Johnson is entering his 3rd year, so they only have 2 years of a cheap contract there.  

I think most of us would agree about taking some sort of paycut in Cousin's current situation... but how much of a paycut are we talking about? How much are the Browns/Vikings prepared to offer him?  The Browns have over $110M in cap space this year... let that sink in.  I honestly think not only can they offer Cousins $30M+ per season... but more importantly, can offer him guaranteed money that will dwarf what anyone else can offer him (Smith got $71M guaranteed... I could see the Browns offering Cousins $100M+ guaranteed... Stafford is the only QB currently with over $90M in guaranteed money)

And while there are uncertainties with the Brown's youth/roster... there is a lot of potential there... especially if Barkley is their pick at 1.  Gordon, Barkley, Coleman, Njoku, Higgins, Johnson out of the backfield... that's a lot of potential weapons for Cousins there.  If they can add Fitzpatrick to the defense... suddenly you have two potential blue chip studs on the defensive side to build around.  Even if they miss on their other 2 top 35 picks and 2 additional top 65 picks... there's a lot of potential there.  And as long as they can convince Thomas to put off retirement for now, the offensive line is still one of the better units in the NFL.  

We haven't really discussed Jimmy G's contract... but it's huge in regards to what Cousins will be doing... which is important since we'll be looking at Mariota soon.

Jimmy G got 5 years - $135M.  Contract details have come out, and it could be a 2 year contract worth $57M .  There's an additional $16M in guarantees, but those are for injury only... but you can still technically say he gets over $73M guaranteed.  As long as he's not injured, he could be cut after 2 seasons, with only a $4.5M dead cap hit (but a ton of savings, due to him receiving a huge roster bonus this year intead of additional signing bonus money).  

I still honestly believe the Browns will offer Cousins $150M over 5 years... and could still go over $100 in guarantees (full and injury).  I know he's stated he's willing to take less money to play for a "winner"... but I just can't believe he'll accept anything less than Jimmy G got.  Not when the team his former OC (who many thought he would link up with in FA) now coaches just gave a guy with 7 career starts $135M and $73M in guarantees.  

Now... how it relates to Mariota.  What's his worth next season or the one after that if Jimmy G is getting $135M/$73M and Cousins gets the $150M/$100M I think he'll get?

• In 2016, Luck got a $123M  contract/ $87M in practical guarantees/ $44M in full guarantees
  • In 2017
    • Carr got $125M/$70M/$40M
    • Stafford then signed $135M/$92M/$60.M
  • This year already
    • Smith got $94M/$71M/??
    • Garoppolo got $137.5M/$74M/$42M
    • Even a conservative Cousins estimate goes $140M/$90M/$65M
      • Brees should also surpass the $30M/year, although he won't have as big a total contract given his age.
      • Ryan should also receive an extension this year before entering the final year of his contract in 2018
  • Ryan is potentially the premier FA, but along with Mariota, guys like Rodgers, Brady, Wilson, Roethlisberger, Rivers, Newton, Prescott, Winston, and Eli all hitting FA in 2020... with some/most/all seeing contract extensions next offseason.
    • There's the potential for a contract hitting $200M... Maybe Rodgers, maybe Wilson or Newton?  Probably not Mariota... but how much are we preparing to give him.  
    • One thing Brady's always done is taken team friendly/below market deals to help his team
      • When he signed his extension in 2016, he signed for an average of $20.5M.  He arguably should have been the top paid QB at that time, but the deal he signed made him the 11th highest paid QB (average) at that point.  He's currently 14th after those 4 latest contracts listed above (will be 16th once Cousins and Brees sign their contracts).
      • Will Mariota be the next Bradyin terms of contracts?  Of all the younger QB's, he (and Wilson maybe) seem like the most humble and most likely to take team friendly deals to help spread the money around and keep good teams around him.  Let's wait and hope that's the case.  

2 hours ago, TitanSS said:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2758963-report-reuben-foster-arrested-on-suspected-domestic-violence-charges?share=other

Reuben Foster arrested. I really liked him but I think he's going to be a good one to have avoided because of off the field issues.

Wasn't he also arrested recently for pot? I mean, dude plays in Cali now... But he wants to be smoking weed in other states?

Yeah... When he was there at 18, I was dying cuz we didn't pick him...heck, I wanted him at 5. He's an amazing talent... But turning out to be a huge dumbass. 

11 hours ago, ragevsuall17 said:

Wasn't he also arrested recently for pot? I mean, dude plays in Cali now... But he wants to be smoking weed in other states?

Yeah... When he was there at 18, I was dying cuz we didn't pick him...heck, I wanted him at 5. He's an amazing talent... But turning out to be a huge dumbass. 

Another example of how "winning" the draft isn't an instant translation to NFL success. 
He fell for obvious reasons, that some were willing to overlook.  Still can be good, but given the landscape of today's NFL, I don't see how he avoids an suspension.  I feel like Zeke may have been suspended with less evidence.

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 5:52 PM, ragevsuall17 said:

We haven't really discussed Jimmy G's contract... but it's huge in regards to what Cousins will be doing... which is important since we'll be looking at Mariota soon.

Jimmy G got 5 years - $135M.  Contract details have come out, and it could be a 2 year contract worth $57M .  There's an additional $16M in guarantees, but those are for injury only... but you can still technically say he gets over $73M guaranteed.  As long as he's not injured, he could be cut after 2 seasons, with only a $4.5M dead cap hit (but a ton of savings, due to him receiving a huge roster bonus this year intead of additional signing bonus money).  

I still honestly believe the Browns will offer Cousins $150M over 5 years... and could still go over $100 in guarantees (full and injury).  I know he's stated he's willing to take less money to play for a "winner"... but I just can't believe he'll accept anything less than Jimmy G got.  Not when the team his former OC (who many thought he would link up with in FA) now coaches just gave a guy with 7 career starts $135M and $73M in guarantees.  

Now... how it relates to Mariota.  What's his worth next season or the one after that if Jimmy G is getting $135M/$73M and Cousins gets the $150M/$100M I think he'll get?

• In 2016, Luck got a $123M  contract/ $87M in practical guarantees/ $44M in full guarantees
  • In 2017
    • Carr got $125M/$70M/$40M
    • Stafford then signed $135M/$92M/$60.M
  • This year already
    • Smith got $94M/$71M/??
    • Garoppolo got $137.5M/$74M/$42M
    • Even a conservative Cousins estimate goes $140M/$90M/$65M
      • Brees should also surpass the $30M/year, although he won't have as big a total contract given his age.
      • Ryan should also receive an extension this year before entering the final year of his contract in 2018
  • Ryan is potentially the premier FA, but along with Mariota, guys like Rodgers, Brady, Wilson, Roethlisberger, Rivers, Newton, Prescott, Winston, and Eli all hitting FA in 2020... with some/most/all seeing contract extensions next offseason.
    • There's the potential for a contract hitting $200M... Maybe Rodgers, maybe Wilson or Newton?  Probably not Mariota... but how much are we preparing to give him.  
    • One thing Brady's always done is taken team friendly/below market deals to help his team
      • When he signed his extension in 2016, he signed for an average of $20.5M.  He arguably should have been the top paid QB at that time, but the deal he signed made him the 11th highest paid QB (average) at that point.  He's currently 14th after those 4 latest contracts listed above (will be 16th once Cousins and Brees sign their contracts).
      • Will Mariota be the next Bradyin terms of contracts?  Of all the younger QB's, he (and Wilson maybe) seem like the most humble and most likely to take team friendly deals to help spread the money around and keep good teams around him.  Let's wait and hope that's the case.  

Robinson should go ahead and get a deal for Marcus now.  It's only going to be higher the longer he goes. 
Pretty much the next QB up is going to be the highest paid.
I don't know if Marcus will end up being the "highest" paid. But I think he is going to be in the neighborhood.

32 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Robinson should go ahead and get a deal for Marcus now.  It's only going to be higher the longer he goes. 
Pretty much the next QB up is going to be the highest paid.
I don't know if Marcus will end up being the "highest" paid. But I think he is going to be in the neighborhood.

I agree on getting him a deal done now, I would like to see that happen. I think now is going to be the easiest time to get him on a "team friendly" deal.

I could also see them wanting to wait and see how Marcus develops under the new staff before throwing him a franchise QB contract. The only "problem" (if you even want to call it that) is that if he just takes off under the new staff, his price tag will soar. But, if that does happen, I think everyone around here would be thrilled and we would have no issue ponying up what is needed because it will mean his play rose to great heights.

Archived