The Offseason Thread

ttitansfan4life

What are your thoughts on Vontae Davis? It’s slow so I’m just asking the question would Davis be worth taking the risk on? Shouldn’t cost a ton coming off an injury and Sims no way will be the same guy next year after his knee injury and the other little thing that seems to happen in this division they all sign each other’s FA’s ?

42 minutes ago, Titans fan 617 said:

What are your thoughts on Vontae Davis? It’s slow so I’m just asking the question would Davis be worth taking the risk on? Shouldn’t cost a ton coming off an injury and Sims no way will be the same guy next year after his knee injury and the other little thing that seems to happen in this division they all sign each other’s FA’s ?

Sims had a hamstring injury.... And no to Davis.

1 hour ago, Titans fan 617 said:

I'm iffy on Vontae.  I thought about him. I think he is in 1 year deal territory. Prove he is healthy.

An interesting name that could be out there is Randall Cobb. Hometown guy who I think he can be a valuable offensive weapon in the right offense, with the right coordinator.

Could be a guy who gets one of those 1 year prove it deals like we saw last year with Pryor and Jeffery.

Ohio State awarded a combined $3.4 million in raises to members of its coaching staff.

The biggest movers up the salary board for the Buckeyes were DC Greg Schiano (raise of $800,000, from $700,000 to $1.5 million) and OC Ryan Day (raise of $600,000, from $400,000 to $1 million). Six other members of the staff additionally received raises off their 2017 salaries. In one other bit of salary news in Columbus, incoming new coaches Alex Grinch and Taver Johnson will draw $800,000 and $345,000 in 2018, respectively.

Quite the pay raise for Ryan Day.

Several of us have talked about running backs in other threads and how much of the load Henry will be able to carry in a zone-blocking scheme.

Whats the opinion on trading our 2nd and 3rd rd picks to move up around pick 40 for Sony Michel if he were available?

3 hours ago, TitanSS said:

Several of us have talked about running backs in other threads and how much of the load Henry will be able to carry in a zone-blocking scheme.

Whats the opinion on trading our 2nd and 3rd rd picks to move up around pick 40 for Sony Michel if he were available?

I honestly think after the combine he’s going to end up a late 1st rd 

The combine isn't going to affect him because it isn't going to tell us anything we don't know already . He's not incredibly long speed fast anyway he's just super quick. You will see DBs closing in on him in long runs. He's fast enough they don't close the gap before the end zone but he's not 4.3 fast.

I wouldn't take him at 25, but I don't think he goes in the first round in this draft. After 25, the Falcons, Saints, Steelers, Jags, Vikings, and Eagles are all set at RB, and the Patriots don't strike me as a RD 1 RB team. I could see him going in the 33-45 range, but if it's in the first round he has to go before we pick at 25, probably pick 20 or sooner. Just not happening.

It's a very late second and late third for an impact player. Austin Johnson and Jonnu Smith for Alvin Kamara? I'd make that trade. What 3rd round pick is there this year that we can't pass on at pick at pick 89?

15 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

The combine isn't going to affect him because it isn't going to tell us anything we don't know already . He's not incredibly long speed fast anyway he's just super quick. You will see DBs closing in on him in long runs. He's fast enough they don't close the gap before the end zone but he's not 4.3 fast.

I wouldn't take him at 25, but I don't think he goes in the first round in this draft. After 25, the Falcons, Saints, Steelers, Jags, Vikings, and Eagles are all set at RB, and the Patriots don't strike me as a RD 1 RB team. I could see him going in the 33-45 range, but if it's in the first round he has to go before we pick at 25, probably pick 20 or sooner. Just not happening.

It's a very late second and late third for an impact player. Austin Johnson and Jonnu Smith for Alvin Kamara? I'd make that trade. What 3rd round pick is there this year that we can't pass on at pick at pick 89?

Thing is, Kamara wasn’t drafted with an early 2nd. Who is to say we can’t draft Kamara or Hunt at 89 or with that late 2nd? It’s a deep draft for RBs and Michel although good isn’t someone to trade up for unless it’s something within reason.

30 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Thing is, Kamara wasn’t drafted with an early 2nd. Who is to say we can’t draft Kamara or Hunt at 89 or with that late 2nd? It’s a deep draft for RBs and Michel although good isn’t someone to trade up for unless it’s something within reason.

No, but the Saints did trade a 2nd round pick to get in position to draft him. As far as they know it was an early 2nd round investment when they made the trade. If you like someone sometimes you have to make a move.

It is a deep draft, but there is a significant drop off after Michel. I don't necessarily want to lose a late 3rd round pick, I just think we're getting close enough with young talent that we can start prioritizing quality over quantity if we really like someone. 

If he's a guy that, as many in here have agreed grades out as a first round player, a late 3rd round pick isn't a lot to give up.

Archived