The Offseason Thread

ttitansfan4life

10 hours ago, TitanLegend said:

Can't let Avery walk guys, he was the 3rd best ILB in football last year......

GoiEk-MGQByS8v9mYwmGaQ.png

Throwing at Avery equals an automatic first down it looks like. That is ugly.

4 hours ago, VY said:

Throwing at Avery equals an automatic first down it looks like. That is ugly.

Yeah, his grade definitely benefited from Jayon taking his place on passing downs. Just didn't have to deal with enough targets to have it tank his grade significantly.

With that said, I doubt he gets a huge contract, so I'm not against resigning him if he's fine playing the same role next season.

16 hours ago, titans0021 said:

Yeah, his grade definitely benefited from Jayon taking his place on passing downs. Just didn't have to deal with enough targets to have it tank his grade significantly.

With that said, I doubt he gets a huge contract, so I'm not against resigning him if he's fine playing the same role next season.

You don't think he will get a big contract? I'm very confident that some team is going to overpay for him

Avery isn't a terrible player. He is a good starter. He isn't a game changer. But good starters get paid game changer money in free agency. 

He would be a great addition to a team with more than one game changer or to a staff known to get the most of their players.  ( Ie: Patriots, Seahawks, Steelers, etc). 

Now we don't know about our staff yet but Vrabel has a good history of getting the most from his linebackers. 

I would put a hard price on Avery and if he wants more, he had to go. 

He’s an average player who is good in one area of the game(run game). To me he’s not worth it. He’s a one-dimensional player in which that one dimension isn’t that valuable in a passing league. I don’t know how spotrac does their projected contracts but I believe it had Avery around 9-10 mil a year. All I could do was lol. 

6 hours ago, deeluxx3 said:

You don't think he will get a big contract? I'm very confident that some team is going to overpay for him

I really don’t see it happening. He’s not a name player and most teams value the thing he’s bad at far more than the thing he’s good at. I guess it depends on your definition of big contract though. I’m guessing he signs for 4 years, 25-28 million.

1 hour ago, titans0021 said:

I really don’t see it happening. He’s not a name player and most teams value the thing he’s bad at far more than the thing he’s good at. I guess it depends on your definition of big contract though. I’m guessing he signs for 4 years, 25-28 million.

Spotrac is estimating 4 for 36... And they explain how they arrive at that... Its a very basic calculation... Stat based with other justifiable measures... Take similar aged with similar production players who signed somewhat recently and average those contracts and account for inflation... Used Wagner, Ogletree, Kirksey, and Barron... Got an average of 5 years/49m for them... Then apply further statistical comparison to adjust/arrive at 4/36.

Seems a bit high... But certainly realistic in the current market. 

We're still a couple of weeks away... But who are the top 3 guys you'd love yo get this off season in FA?... Not who you think we'll get, but who you want...

My top 3 players are Joyner, Watkins, and Richardson. Between Joyner and Watkins, its almost guaranteed one if them will be tagged... And Seattle may tag Richardson as well. 

Lawrence may be the top prize, but its almost a lock he'll be franchised. Johnson and Butler would join my top 3 if two of those on my original list get tagged as well.

1 hour ago, ragevsuall17 said:

We're still a couple of weeks away... But who are the top 3 guys you'd love yo get this off season in FA?... Not who you think we'll get, but who you want...

My top 3 players are Joyner, Watkins, and Richardson. Between Joyner and Watkins, its almost guaranteed one if them will be tagged... And Seattle may tag Richardson as well. 

Lawrence may be the top prize, but its almost a lock he'll be franchised. Johnson and Butler would join my top 3 if two of those on my original list get tagged as well.

I'd love to have Joyner. He'd give so much versatility to our secondary. Basically three players in one, because he can play both safety spots and nickel corner for us. I'm sure he'll end up getting tagged though.

1 hour ago, ragevsuall17 said:

Spotrac is estimating 4 for 36... And they explain how they arrive at that... Its a very basic calculation... Stat based with other justifiable measures... Take similar aged with similar production players who signed somewhat recently and average those contracts and account for inflation... Used Wagner, Ogletree, Kirksey, and Barron... Got an average of 5 years/49m for them... Then apply further statistical comparison to adjust/arrive at 4/36.

Seems a bit high... But certainly realistic in the current market. 

Yeah, I get it, and he definitely could go higher, but his stats are almost solely tackle numbers. And I’m just not sure if front offices would value them as high as the formula.

The Ogletree contract is the one that makes me question my Williamson estimate, but I believe he’s also the player on the Rams that has the headset in his helmet.

It is definitely something I’m interested to watch. Pure thumper linebackers that have to leave on passing downs just aren’t the kind of guys I’d expect an FO to invest heavily in with where the league is at.

1 hour ago, titans0021 said:

Yeah, I get it, and he definitely could go higher, but his stats are almost solely tackle numbers. And I’m just not sure if front offices would value them as high as the formula.

The Ogletree contract is the one that makes me question my Williamson estimate, but I believe he’s also the player on the Rams that has the headset in his helmet.

It is definitely something I’m interested to watch. Pure thumper linebackers that have to leave on passing downs just aren’t the kind of guys I’d expect an FO to invest heavily in with where the league is at.

Posluszny got 7.5 a year from Jacksonville in 2011 and he and Williamson are pretty much the exact same player. Williamson probably even a better run defender than Poz has ever been. Counting for inflation and arguably better player, Williamson getting 9 per seems very possible.

Williamson going to a 4-3 team where he doesn't have to worry as much about covering from the MLB role would probably fit him much better.

Archived