The Offseason Thread

ttitansfan4life

5 hours ago, deeluxx3 said:

they'll be desperate. A 4th is probably the best they'll get. other teams know that...but that's jsut my opinion

I disagree with this. They have entirely new people over there. New coaches, new FO people. The kid has a clean slate. He's already met with the new GM and the new GM said after that meeting that the slate was clean with him. At the end of the day he's a talented cornerback, teams aren't just willing to throw them away.

I mean I get the connections with Coombs/Vrabel, but this sounds more like fantasy than reality to me. Unless a team is willing to trade something of value (ie top 40 IMO) or he gets in more trouble(in which point we shouldn't take on the headache), I see the Giants keeping him and working with him.

11 minutes ago, Chocolateman78 said:

I think that's a product of the guy throwing it, not the one catching it

I think that's just an excuse. 8.8 YPR is bad for any WR, especially one who wants elite WR money.  

Plenty of "elite" WR have played with bad QBs, in bad system and hasn't put up RB receiving numbers.

38 minutes ago, Chocolateman78 said:

I disagree with this. They have entirely new people over there. New coaches, new FO people. The kid has a clean slate. He's already met with the new GM and the new GM said after that meeting that the slate was clean with him. At the end of the day he's a talented cornerback, teams aren't just willing to throw them away.

I mean I get the connections with Coombs/Vrabel, but this sounds more like fantasy than reality to me. Unless a team is willing to trade something of value (ie top 40 IMO) or he gets in more trouble(in which point we shouldn't take on the headache), I see the Giants keeping him and working with him.

Good points. Post more often, choc!!

1 hour ago, TitanSlim said:

I think that's just an excuse. 8.8 YPR is bad for any WR, especially one who wants elite WR money.  

Plenty of "elite" WR have played with bad QBs, in bad system and hasn't put up RB receiving numbers.

Parker has averaged 13.7 in his 3 years in Miami... Stills has averaged 15.9 in 3 years in Miami... Landry has averaged 10.1 for his career, and only once has he gone over 10.5 (4seasons)...

But yes, its all the qb or oc or hc's fault... 

20 minutes ago, TitanRedd said:

Deandre Hopkins ?

I dont understand... You saying Hopkins has out up "RB receiving numbers" in his career? A career that has seen him average 14.2 ypc... With only 1 season under 13.5. Hopkins worst season at ypc is still better than Landry's best ypc season.

The leading QBs he's had each of his 5 seasons there? Fitzpatrick, Hoyer, Osweiler, Watson... With Savage, Yates, Mallet, and Weeden putting up a combined 21 starts.

1 hour ago, ragevsuall17 said:

I dont understand... You saying Hopkins has out up "RB receiving numbers" in his career? A career that has seen him average 14.2 ypc... With only 1 season under 13.5. Hopkins worst season at ypc is still better than Landry's best ypc season.

The leading QBs he's had each of his 5 seasons there? Fitzpatrick, Hoyer, Osweiler, Watson... With Savage, Yates, Mallet, and Weeden putting up a combined 21 starts.

I think he was referencing Hopkins as an example of a receiver that has put up big numbers regardless of circumstances. Kind of backing up your point.

Landry did exactly what his role in Miami calls for him to do. Turn short receptions into medium gains. He averaged 7.2 yards per target, more than our quarterback averaged per attempt this season. He created yardage after the catch. They had their burner in Stills and their jump ball receiver in Parker, trying to compare Landry's role, which has been exclusively as an underneath receiver, to pure outside, No. 1 guys still just strikes me as silly. He has elite RB receiving numbers, because basically, that's what he is asked to do in Miami. I just don't necessarily understand why it's a bad thing. I'd love for Marcus to have a safety valve that plays underneath, catches 70% of his targets, turns 39% of his targets into first downs (pretty similar to a guy like Hopkins) and consistently turns 2 or 3 yard passes into 7 or 8 yard gains. I don't know. I don't think anyone's claiming he's an elite receiver, but man, just throwing out stats and completely ignoring that those numbers are pretty much exactly what Miami wants him to do just seems weird to me.

But, as he's been franchised and is no longer an option, I'm not really all that interested in diving back into this.

58 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

I think he was referencing Hopkins as an example of a receiver that has put up big numbers regardless of circumstances. Kind of backing up your point.

Landry did exactly what his role in Miami calls for him to do. Turn short receptions into medium gains. He averaged 7.2 yards per target, more than our quarterback averaged per attempt this season. He created yardage after the catch. They had their burner in Stills and their jump ball receiver in Parker, trying to compare Landry's role, which has been exclusively as an underneath receiver, to pure outside, No. 1 guys still just strikes me as silly. He has elite RB receiving numbers, because basically, that's what he is asked to do in Miami. I just don't necessarily understand why it's a bad thing. I'd love for Marcus to have a safety valve that plays underneath, catches 70% of his targets, turns 39% of his targets into first downs (pretty similar to a guy like Hopkins) and consistently turns 2 or 3 yard passes into 7 or 8 yard gains. I don't know. I don't think anyone's claiming he's an elite receiver, but man, just throwing out stats and completely ignoring that those numbers are pretty much exactly what Miami wants him to do just seems weird to me.

But, as he's been franchised and is no longer an option, I'm not really all that interested in diving back into this.

Thank you ???

1 hour ago, titans0021 said:

I've noticed this trend lately... Not you specifically, but in general. 

Discuss, discuss, discuss... Delve into one last significant rant, then finish by saying... But I'm not invested in this anymore, or I'm done discussing, not gonna start again, etc...

But some posters were alluding to just that... That Landry was somehow elite. He is good at what he does... But thats it. He doesn't have that additional aspect to his game like the truly elite players have... For his "role", give me an actual RB at a much lower price. If I'm gonna give someone 10M+... 13M+... I want to get game breaking ability... Not someone who is essentially the equivalent of a game manager. 

25 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

Discuss, discuss, discuss... Delve into one last significant rant, then finish by saying... But I'm not invested in this anymore, or I'm done discussing, not gonna start again, etc...

Well mainly, we literally just had this same discussion about the same player over the same stat a couple weeks ago and now he's been tagged and isn't going to touch the market. If he had hit free agency and we had shown interest, I'd be more than willing to dive back into it. Or if you were saying anything that was in any way different to what you were saying the last time we talked about it. But hey, I'm not against continuing the discussion.

26 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

For his "role", give me an actual RB at a much lower price.

Which running back averages over 10 yards per catch for the career, catches over 70% of his targets while averaging 100 targets per season? Does that player exist? And if they do, have they done it with Ryan Tannehill and Jay Cutler? Because I can already guess (and please correct me if I'm wrong about who your top pick would be) where we're heading with a running back that can fill that role for a much lower price. And saying that a guy like Dion Lewis, who what, has a single six-game stretch where he's looked like an elite receiving back, is in any way comparable to Landry is insane. 

The league isn't full of elite pass catching backs. The role that Landry served isn't easily filled. The list of backs that averaged more yards per catch last year and actually received a reasonable enough targets to be discussed is: Alvin Kamara and Todd Gurley. A player with Landry's bulk numbers, catch rate and first down rate isn't going to come cheap whether they play RB or WR.

Beyond all of that, it just seems weird to have so much focus on 8.8. Especially since he's really only had one season with competent QB play, and that was the year he averaged 12.1 per catch, caught 71.8% of his targets and was second among receivers (fifth overall) in yards after catch. It's not like that's his career average. In fact, that number had gone up every year of his career until he got saddled with an out of shape and bad quarterback. 

58 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

But some posters were alluding to just that... That Landry was somehow elite.

I guess we're just reading different posts. Unless the talk was that he's an elite slot receiver. Personally, I talked a lot about his positives, because a few posters seemed to be dwelling on the negative, but I don't think anyone thinks he's a game-breaking, No. 1 receiver. He's a steady, reliable receiver that can create after the catch and can turn 4th and 1 into 1st and 10 by getting that extra yard. Maybe he's not worth $13 million per year, but I'd pay him $10 million. These days that's what, 5.5% of your total salary cap? 

I just don't think a slot WR is a good position to invest that amount of money in. If we had used shorter routes and crossing routes more often I think we could have had some success with the guys we already have. We were not a team that utilized the shorter passing game at all.

Albert Wilson is starting to become a guy that I really want. We really need more speed all around on offense, and he could bring that along with a consistency catching the ball from the slot with some really good RAC ability. I feel like he could be really good value for us.

54 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

I just don't think a slot WR is a good position to invest that amount of money in. If we had used shorter routes and crossing routes more often I think we could have had some success with the guys we already have. We were not a team that utilized the shorter passing game at all.

Eldeman doesn’t even make 10 plus mill a year ??‍♂️??‍♂️

Archived