The Offseason Thread

ttitansfan4life

22 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

How important is it to everyone to add another quality WR?

How high would draft one?

I definitely wouldn’t draft one high at all. I’m perfectly fine with what we have but that’s mainly because I’m so high on Davis. Still think if he’s not an elite WR, he’ll be pretty damn close. Also like Taylor and think he can be a good slot WR. The only way I’d want a WR is if it’s an upgrade over all of them. Plus Matthews is on the final year of his deal. Who knows if he’ll be back.  Having said that, I’m perfectly fine with our top 4 and in a modern offense, I think they can excel. 

3 hours ago, KingTitan said:

How important is it to everyone to add another quality WR?

How high would draft one?

I wouldn't draft one high, but I still think we need to add some more speed there. A guy with some RAC ability would be ideal. I think Taylor has a good skill set to work off of, but he definitely showed last year that he's not really there yet mainly with his struggles catching the ball in traffic. He had probably his worst game as a pro against the Patriots. I think he could be that slot receiver for us eventually, but I'd like to add another guy in the slot to compete with him whether that's a FA or a draft pick.

Not that I blame any Titans fan for not buying this based on our history drafting WR's, but I'm still a believer in building through the draft and we just took two WR's in the first three rounds last year. One could be our stud #1 and the other could be our stretch the field and take the top off guy. Let's see what our young guys can do in an offensive system that isn't outdated by 15 years before we talk about plugging in new guys to take their snaps away, eh?

I wouldn't be against a team friendly deal with a FA, using a late round draft pick, or anything else like that, but I see no need to use any middle to high-ish amount of cap space or any early picks on the position.

7 hours ago, imDelusional said:

Not that I blame any Titans fan for not buying this based on our history drafting WR's, but I'm still a believer in building through the draft and we just took two WR's in the first three rounds last year. One could be our stud #1 and the other could be our stretch the field and take the top off guy. Let's see what our young guys can do in an offensive system that isn't outdated by 15 years before we talk about plugging in new guys to take their snaps away, eh?

I wouldn't be against a team friendly deal with a FA, using a late round draft pick, or anything else like that, but I see no need to use any middle to high-ish amount of cap space or any early picks on the position.

Yeah, I want to give our young guys a chance to play under LaFleur. They showed enough promise and we invested too much in them to just push them to the side after one year.

Maybe we bring in a guy like Taylor Gabriel for the low to add that speed element to our offense. Or another name out there that I saw could be cut, Tavon Austin.

I'm not in favor of having Matthews, who we all like but all know struggles to separate, Davis who is full of potential but we haven't seen it come out yet, and Taylor who may never amount to more than a depth guy as our wide receiver corps. I want someone who has proven they can do it in the NFL.

In fact, just saying that out loud made me want to pay Landry 12 million a year and I was initially against signing him.

8 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

I'm not in favor of having Matthews, who we all like but all know struggles to separate, Davis who is full of potential but we haven't seen it come out yet, and Taylor who may never amount to more than a depth guy as our wide receiver corps. I want someone who has proven they can do it in the NFL.

In fact, just saying that out loud made me want to pay Landry 12 million a year and I was initially against signing him.

Apparently he’s not a difference maker though.... I only wanted Landry through FA. Definitely not a trade.

If someone told us last year we could get Landry for a third round pick I don't think one person would have hesitated in making that trade. The difference would be one year under his rookie contract.

I have no idea what they're asking, I'm just saying if all we're giving up is Taywan Taylor for him it looks like a good trade.

Slot WRs typically aren't considered impact players or guys you pay a lot. There's a reason NE spent a first round pick to get Cooks but all of their slot guys are small investments. But right now I say screw the money. We can structure the contract with an out. I just want to win and stop waiting for young guys to improve.

12 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

Like I said before, I get any Titans fan not trusting this organization to develop a wide receiver, but at the same time, how do you define proving it in the NFL if Matthews doesn't fit that criteria? 

There's always risk in drafting and developing players, but the best teams in every American sport do exactly that, and we actually have a GM (or VP of football or whatever his title is now) who seems to know what he's doing. That's why I'm willing to look beyond our seemingly endless amount of failed WR picks and go with the young guys. Fact is you don't take a guy with the 5th overall pick in the draft and then sign one of the top available free agents at the same position to a lucrative contract the next offseason because the rookie struggled with injuries and inconsistency his first season (in one of the least pass happy designed offenses in the NFL, mind you). Patience is absolutely vital to develop a legitimate year to year contender. I personally saw enough of Corey to be really excited about him starting the coming year as our top WR.

Matthews does fit that critera, but he is the only one on the roster and he has also proven that he is not exceptional at anything. He's a good piece to have, but he's just a piece. He's also a free agent next year.

We're going to throw to more than just 1 WR. Having another guy who's really good at something, and who basically plays a different position than Davis, isn't a bad thing at all.

We signed a high price FA CB and then drafted a CB 18th overall, I don't see anyone saying that was a bad investment, and it was in the same off-season. We should have drafted Tre'Davious White, but thats another story. 

The Rams were in 3 WR sets 81% of the time last year. We now have their OC. We need 3 guys who can catch the ball. Just like we need 3 CBs who can cover. Davis and Matthews will play the boundary with Landry in the slot. Signing Landry is not abandoning Davis anymore than drafting White was abandoning Ryan.

I like the idea of adding Landry just not at that price its too much for a guy that isn't a game changer or a true #1. If I'm paying a WR 10 plus mill a year I want a game changer a playmaker. he's a sure catcher in traffic slot receiver that only had more than 5 TD's once in a season & that was last season. Mane we can take 14 mill & get 2 WR at that price in FA. I'm fine with our receiving core, just would like to add another explosive play maker for depth & to add another element to our offense. Doesn't have to be a pure #2 guy. I think we should spend big bucks on upgrading the Guard spot, adding another CB, DE, & LB in FA

As much as I like Landry, obviously I'd rather sign Watkins than trade for Landry given that they'd probably get similar contracts. I don't want to draft a receiver high, I want someone that has shown something at the NFL level. If we were to get Landry, I'm assuming we're looking at no more than a mid-round pick, I'd be happy with that. Not thrilled, but fine with it. Watkins would be exciting, but I certainly have my concerns with his injury history and his lack of real success in the Rams offense last year.

I know I should give up on him, but I'm just not willing to. I'd give Terrelle Pryor a look. After failing so hard on a prove-it deal, I'm thinking you could bring him in with very little risk or guaranteed money involved. I'd love to get Allen Robinson if he's looking for a short deal to boost his value. @TitanRedd has mentioned him, but I also like Paul Richardson. Despite his size, he's shown an ability to both get deep and also make contested catches. I had a draft crush on Donte Moncrief, so wouldn't object to him either. Even John Brown if we're looking to just add pure speed with some history of production.

Wide receiver may be the most talented group of this free agent class. I'll be really disappointed if we ignore that spot in FA and then drop a Day 1 or Day 2 pick on another guy that will need development and likely won't make an impact next season.

4 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

As much as I like Landry, obviously I'd rather sign Watkins than trade for Landry given that they'd probably get similar contracts. I don't want to draft a receiver high, I want someone that has shown something at the NFL level. If we were to get Landry, I'm assuming we're looking at no more than a mid-round pick, I'd be happy with that. Not thrilled, but fine with it. Watkins would be exciting, but I certainly have my concerns with his injury history and his lack of real success in the Rams offense last year.

I know I should give up on him, but I'm just not willing to. I'd give Terrelle Pryor a look. After failing so hard on a prove-it deal, I'm thinking you could bring him in with very little risk or guaranteed money involved. I'd love to get Allen Robinson if he's looking for a short deal to boost his value. @TitanRedd has mentioned him, but I also like Paul Richardson. Despite his size, he's shown an ability to both get deep and also make contested catches. I had a draft crush on Donte Moncrief, so wouldn't object to him either. Even John Brown if we're looking to just add pure speed with some history of production.

Wide receiver may be the most talented group of this free agent class. I'll be really disappointed if we ignore that spot in FA and then drop a Day 1 or Day 2 pick on another guy that will need development and likely won't make an impact next season.

Terrelle Pryor makes sense but I believe he's going back to the Browns, He had a down year, mainly because he played with a high ankle sprain which is very hard to overcome but he's a guy I think can be a more effective Decker 3rd option explosive big body wideout 

Watkins didn't join the Rams until right before the season started. The middle of August. It's understandable that he didn't come in with a new team and immediately overtake the other guys. I know what he is on the field, so I'm bot worried about him at all. As long as he's healthy.

I really don't see why they'd let him go though.

Archived