The Offseason Thread

ttitansfan4life

45 minutes ago, Titan89 said:

If I am the Titans on defense I would be drafting high. We need a difference maker pass rusher big time. I would say best available one where we pick in the first is who we should take. Unless there is none worth it. Only other spots I would take in the first is an offensive lineman preferably a guard if a can't miss one is available or an inside linebacker as Woodyard is older and not sure we bring Williamson back.

I also think we need to find a way to get Jarvis Landry. He has some baggage but nothing that should scare us. He is the exact receiver the Titans need. Reliable hands, chain mover will be in the right spots. Exactly what the Titans need plus he did well in the red zone this year. If we get Landry that is a huge fix for the slot WR with Davis and Matthews a very strong three.

We need speed a guy that can take the top off the defense & is a playmaker in space again all of our WR have the same skill set  

We're easily at $65M in cap space with a few moves (Murray, Cassell, and Searcy). We definitely have the money to get a couple key players, while keeping things clear for Lewan and Mariota coming up... But we won't... Thats not how this team operates. 

But we need to identify and fill those mid range needs.

Change of pace/receiving/3rd down back... Lewis is the ideal target here, although he might be pricing himself into good RB money (which is still cheap compared to other positions, but we may ultimately look to the draft for this).

Back up QB and bolstering our WR depth/speed/quickness. I'd like to take a look at Moncrief in FA as that quick slot guy. 

I dont know how much Joyner from LAR or Allen from ATL would cost, but they'd be 2 of my biggest FA targets right now.  One of those guys alongside Byard and moving Cyp to ILB would help shore up the middle of that pass defense. 1 signing, 2 positional upgrades, addresses biggest weakness on the D.

I don't think we need to spend big bucks on a #1 type CB, but we do need a good depth guy... Mid range salary... a guy like Fuller or Denard would be ideal. I wanted the same last year, Claiborne being the guy I liked. He's available again, and I'd look at him in that next tier again.

1 minute ago, deeluxx3 said:

I know he's under contract and will be here next year, but what value does Cyp even bring as an LB? Not saying I'm against the move -- we gotta work with what we got -- but has that guy made a play in space since college?

I see him as a sideline to sideline, guy who can help cover those short zones, and can lay the wood as needed. 

I see him in that Buchanon (AZ), Jones (ATL) role. I think he'd excel in that role.

Honestly who we sign/re-sign/draft doesn't even matter compared to what we do at HC and coaching staff as a whole. We were in every single game save for the Houston and Pitt game (and even the Pitt game it didn't completely blow up in our face until midway through the 3rd I think it was) with the current roster we have now and very well could have been anywhere from 10-6 to 14-2 if we pulled out the close games even with the incompetent offensive gameplan.

Its just my opinion but we are probably a 5-11 to 7-9 team with next years schedule with this coaching staff. With a coaching staff overhaul I think we can get to 10-6 or better.

27 minutes ago, lovetitans said:

I don't agree with moving Cyp to ILB. He would still have the same job of covering TEs and RBs in man coverage that he has now and he's not good at it.

He's not an ideal coverage safety, but he's better than most LBers in coverage. People need to get past some of those ideas that get floated around and repeated ad naseum.

In a typical man-zone coverage situation... Assuming a FS is in a cover 1 concept... Who would you rather have covering a TE and RB or the short zones... 

Byard (SS), Brown (LB), Cyp (LB), with Joyner in a deep cover 1

or

Cyp (SS), Brown (LB), Williamson/Woodyard, (LB) with Byard in deep cover 1

Again... Signing a safety and moving Cyp inside is 1 signing, 2 upgrades. 

2 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

He's not an ideal coverage safety, but he's better than most LBers in coverage. People need to get past some of those ideas that get floated around and repeated ad naseum.

In a typical man-zone coverage situation... Assuming a FS is in a cover 1 concept... Who would you rather have covering a TE and RB or the short zones... 

Byard (SS), Brown (LB), Cyp (LB), with Byard in a deep cover 1

or

Cyp (SS), Brown (LB), Williamson/Woodyard, (LB) with Joyner in deep cover 1

Again... Signing a safety and moving Cyp inside is 1 signing, 2 upgrades. 

I just don't agree. I don't think moving him to LB makes him or the team any better then it is right now. It's a personal opinion. In my opinion we would be better off signing or drafting a LB for that need.

We have about 67.5 with cuts to Demarco, Searcy, and Cassell. If we cut one of Orakpo or Morgan, we're at 76 in cap space. Lewan likely gets a big contract this offseason. Probably gets a contract in the 12-13.5 range per year. Who is worth resigning of our free agents? Succop, Spain is a restricted FA and place a tender on him, Kline shouldn't cost much and still isn't guaranteed a spot on the final roster. Bring in an OG to compete with both of Spain and Kline in camp. Do we resign Jones or pretty much stick with Johnson or even upgrade to someone who can add some pass-rushing ability from the 5-tech spot.  Don't really want Williamson back because I hate run down specific players. Neither FA will break the bank because their all mid to lower tier players. All of this is moot though until the coaching decision is decided though.

The problem with cutting everyone you don't like that no one seems to ever remember is you have to have someone to replace them. Murray, Cassell and Searcy are reasonable cuts. Orakpo and Morgan aren't going anywhere because we're already short on pass rushing talent as it is.

Murray, Searcy, Cassell likely get cut, though I think there's a slight chance Searcy sticks around.

Spain gets resigned, I don't think Kline does because what we've been told is he's never fit the scheme anyway. With his pass blocking ability he can probably get decent money on the FA market anyway.

Schwenke is probably resigned for interior depth.

Wouldn't mind seeing Walden get resigned, think he's decent depth as a rusher, and going in to next year with Morgan/Orakpo/Walden/Draft pick as our rotation doesn't sound too bad.

Williamson is a solid player, and probably depends on how they feel about Brown. Williamson is another case of you can let him go cause you don't wanna pay him, but are you going to find someone as good or better than him in FA?

This all assuming our coaching staff remains intact.

Archived