Arizona Cardinals Head coach and QB

Smhx2519

Just some thoughts on the Cardinals coaching search and QB situation. As a long time Cardinals fan I have always wondered why this team seems reactionary instead of pro active? 

From what I’ve read it appears that Pat Shurmur is the front runner to be the next coach in Arizona followed by Steve Wilks. I wonder why James Bettcher isn’t leading the pack. This team is not far from a playoff run and if not for injuries could have been this year. Easily have 2 more wins if Palmer and Johnson don’t get hurt. With Bettcher you could return most of current staff and continue the course. But new coaching and system may be the right way to go. 

Now for QB, they dropped the ball on this again. Warner all over again, should drafted QBs in the last 2 drafts preparing for Palmer’s retirement. Right now we don’t have any under contract and are starting from scratch. I’m not as high on this class as most and believe after Rosen and Darnold there is a big drop off. Jackson is a taller less accurate version of Vick. Allen has accuracy issues as well. Falk will take time to adapt to a pro style offense and I see Rudolph as Nick Folk. I’m not a believer in Keenum and believe the Vikings will try hard to keep him. Bradford is injury prone and nobody knows what Bridgewater will be like after that injury. Cousins will be too expensive. That doesn’t leave much. 

Really want to get all of your opinions as to the direction you would like to see this team go. 

Why would anybody in their right mind want to maintain this coaching staff??

There is a reason Bettcher only interviewed here for the HC role. There is a reason he's not mentioned among the leading candidates and why we are not planning on interviewing him a second time.

There is a reason Harold Goodwin is being overlooked for OL Coach roles, there is a reason that this year was likely the last Amos Jones will spend in the NFL.

Re: QBs I can't speak for two years ago, but last year Keim wanted to move the house to go up and get Mahomes. Arians vetoed the move in favour of pushing all in for 2017.

Where do I want to go. I want Brian Flores to be this teams head coach. He, not Patricia, not McDaniels,  is considered (inside the NE facility) to be the guy who will take over from Belichick in NE. He is also responsible for the Redzone D in New England, which has performed among the leagues best.

At QB, it will depend on the staff. I like Jackson if you out the right staff around him, but the draft is a crapshoot, especially when you're picking at 15. A veteran bridge, one of the trio from Minnesota, is our best bet for 2018.

There's been so many rumors with this opening that I don't seriously think anyone has any kind of inside track. 

Clearly Khodder and I disagree entirely on Bettcher although I don't want him as our head coach, he's a great option for our DC. The offensive staff is a total disaster however. I believe I remember reading Bettcher would plan on ditching the current staff if promoted, so that kind of points it out for you. BA suggested Bettcher, not Goodwin, for a reason. 

Don't see how you can trash our current staff and think that Brian Flores would put together one that's better though. The guy's been a position coach his entire career and has little, to no connections outside of New England. Would not be thrilled with that hire because, I don't think he could put together a successful staff. 

I personally want Shurmur. He's not the sexy hire, but I think he's the right hire. The type of offense that he would bring in would really play to DJ's strengths and limit our weaknesses. Of course his defense staff hires are important as well, and cooling off on him without Fangio's name attached is understandable. I for one though still believe that he is the best candidate

Don't like Munchak, nothing about hiring him would excite me. 

Keith Armstrong is possibly the most random name on the board. Apparently suggested by BA, and we really could use a new focus on Special Teams too, but it just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. 

Jim Schwartz would be okay if the rumor that him and DeFilippo would come together turns out to be true. But him as a stand alone candidate is not the greatest looking option.

John DeFilippo is kind of like just trying to see if we could find our own Sean McVay. He's done very well with Wentz no doubt but outside of that he really doesn't have that great of a resume

I think Steve Wilks is a solid candidate. Nothing else to really say there.

As far as QBs go, I don't really want to comment until we have a coach. Because my view on each QB could change immensely depending on who we hire. 

I’m very glad to get some strong opinions on this subject. I live in Colorado so it’s all Broncos all the time here and get very little chance to discuss my team.

I have no interest in Flores as head coach of the Cardinals or any Patriots assistants for that matter. The Belichick tree speaks for itself. I like Shurmur and the offense he runs. His success with quarterbacks is a definite plus. After today I don’t see anyway Minnesota let’s Keenum leave. Wouldn’t surprise me if Bridgewater stays there as well in a back up role. That leaves Bradford and only if the deal is team friendly. Wouldn’t mind holding on to Gabbert if Shurmur is hired to see what he could get out of him. Wilks is an interesting candidate as I don’t know a lot about him. Would depend who he brings as coordinators. Same with Bettcher. 

I’m very sad about this news. I liked Shurmur and thought he would be a good fit in Arizona. For me Wilks and Bettcher are even depending on who they could bring in to run the offense. If one of them has a better OC then that would be the deciding factor for me. The only good thing I’ve heard about Munchak is Haley might come with him. Can’t argue Haley’s success. 

16 minutes ago, Smhx2519 said:

I’m very sad about this news. I liked Shurmur and thought he would be a good fit in Arizona. For me Wilks and Bettcher are even depending on who they could bring in to run the offense. If one of them has a better OC then that would be the deciding factor for me. The only good thing I’ve heard about Munchak is Haley might come with him. Can’t argue Haley’s success. 

But you can argue with how much Haley's players have hated him

If I am the Cards, I get a defensive guy to come run the show and try to win now. The talent is there, go after Alex Smith, fix the OL as much as you can and ride the defense/DJ. The NFC West is far from a juggernaut, and with a QB this team can win now.

If the Cards go after a "QB Guru" and draft one of the young guys in this draft, they better hope he can play and win in year one, or else this team will be mediocre again and once they have the position figured out the talent on defense will have aged/moved elsewhere. Don't rebuild!

Archived