Arizona Cardinals Head coach and QB

Smhx2519

I think signing Sam Bradford and drafting a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round to groom for the future in this relatively deep QB class is the way to go for the Cards.  I know he's been hurt.  But, he is a top 10 QB when healthy and he'll get the most out of Fitz and Johnson for the money they'll have to invest in him while they groom the QB of the future.  If Bradford can stay healthy he would be everything you guys need at the position.  But, because of his knee issues you can't rely on that.  He's really good when healthy though.

16 hours ago, kris_kapsner said:

I think signing Sam Bradford and drafting a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round to groom for the future in this relatively deep QB class is the way to go for the Cards.  I know he's been hurt.  But, he is a top 10 QB when healthy and he'll get the most out of Fitz and Johnson for the money they'll have to invest in him while they groom the QB of the future.  If Bradford can stay healthy he would be everything you guys need at the position.  But, because of his knee issues you can't rely on that.  He's really good when healthy though.

I’m not bashing on Bradford he is a good quarterback when healthy but that’s a big risk. He has not proven to be able to stay healthy. One of the reasons that I was in favor of hiring Shurmur is what he was able to get out of Keenum this season. I would have liked to see what he could do with Gabert. As far as this QB class goes IMO  I don’t think it’s as great as people make it sound. I believe next years class will be better. There are a lot of question about this whole class that only time will tell. So if the Cardinals can get a QB guru and get a few good seasons out of Gabert or a FA plus draft a mid round QB this year and see who is available next year would be my preferred way to go. I would love to see a draft like this

1st round - Courtland Sutton or Joshua Jackson 

2nd round - best WR or CB depending on who we got in 1st round

3rd round - OL

4th round - QB like Luke Falk or Mike White. 

Next years draft will have guys like Drew Lock, Jarret Stidham, Ryan Finley, Clayton Thorsen and Jake Browning.

9 hours ago, Smhx2519 said:

I’m not bashing on Bradford he is a good quarterback when healthy but that’s a big risk. He has not proven to be able to stay healthy. One of the reasons that I was in favor of hiring Shurmur is what he was able to get out of Keenum this season. I would have liked to see what he could do with Gabert. As far as this QB class goes IMO  I don’t think it’s as great as people make it sound. I believe next years class will be better. There are a lot of question about this whole class that only time will tell. So if the Cardinals can get a QB guru and get a few good seasons out of Gabert or a FA plus draft a mid round QB this year and see who is available next year would be my preferred way to go. I would love to see a draft like this

1st round - Courtland Sutton or Joshua Jackson 

2nd round - best WR or CB depending on who we got in 1st round

3rd round - OL

4th round - QB like Luke Falk or Mike White. 

Next years draft will have guys like Drew Lock, Jarret Stidham, Ryan Finley, Clayton Thorsen and Jake Browning.

I'm starting to get the feeling after we've said "next year has xyz QBs," there's a certain point where that rhetoric needs to break because QB classes always look better a year out. 

1 hour ago, LuckyNumber11 said:

I'm starting to get the feeling after we've said "next year has xyz QBs," there's a certain point where that rhetoric needs to break because QB classes always look better a year out. 

I agree with your point but when you’re drafting at 15 you have to approach it differently. If you really believe in a guy then you do what’s necessary to move up and grab him. Otherwise you need to draft BPA and hope you get lucky in a later round like Kirk Cousins, Russell Wilson and Dak Prescott. I just hope we don’t get desperate and end up with a Johnny Manzel 

2 hours ago, Smhx2519 said:

Tennessee fires and hires a head coach in a week. The Giants, Colts and Lions are believed to have coaches selected just waiting to make the announcement. I’m not surprised by it taking this long but I am frustrated. 

is there any other openings? I don't think so. So we get to choose from every other non-HC in the league (assuming they want to come here), not too bad.

Bettcher is reportedly still very much in the mix and has Mike McCoy and Chuck Pagano as his coordinators. Flores has Jim Caldwell as his prospective OC. This year I feel like is not nearly as much about the actual head coach as it is the coordinators. Anyone remember hearing DeFilippo's potential DC? I know he was rumored as Wilks' potential OC

15 minutes ago, LuckyNumber11 said:

Bettcher is reportedly still very much in the mix and has Mike McCoy and Chuck Pagano as his coordinators. Flores has Jim Caldwell as his prospective OC. This year I feel like is not nearly as much about the actual head coach as it is the coordinators. Anyone remember hearing DeFilippo's potential DC? I know he was rumored as Wilks' potential OC

I read somewhere that DeFilippo might try to retain Bettcher as DC

Just my opinion but based on a gut feeling and no actual knowledge. Cause I have no real idea how any of these candidates will work out. I think my ranking would go like this. 

1 DeFilippo with Bettcher 

2 Wilks with DeFilippo 

3 Bettcher with McCoy 

4 Flores with Caldwell

I would rank Bettcher higher if DeFilippo or Haley were his choice for OC. McCoy had very little success grooming Lynch or Semian and that’s what got him fired. 

Caldwell is a guy with a heck of a lot of experience. In terms of actual schematics, unsure. He rode the Peyton train to be a head coach. He had two years in Baltimore that led to SuperBowl win. It's not an inspiring option, but could be a stable influence in the building. His history as a QB coach will help.

Wilks plus Flip is my top combo. Wilks is also expected to retain Bettcher should he get the HC role I've heard.

If I was a betting man, I'd be putting my money on Flip as the leader right now.

Given the transition phase of this offense, the lack of a QB and history of hires (Green, Whis, Arians) I'd guess they're after an offensive guy.

Someone to work with a QB long term has to be a priority with this hire be it the HC or the OC. Trouble with going with Flip at OC is he'd still be a hot HC name.

2 hours ago, khodder said:

If I was a betting man, I'd be putting my money on Flip as the leader right now.

Given the transition phase of this offense, the lack of a QB and history of hires (Green, Whis, Arians) I'd guess they're after an offensive guy.

Someone to work with a QB long term has to be a priority with this hire be it the HC or the OC. Trouble with going with Flip at OC is he'd still be a hot HC name.

I agree with your assessment and after today’s performance by Foles I would have the private jet fueled up and ready to fly to Philadelphia right now. 

Archived