Will Tom Brady Become The Greatest...

mdonnelly21

143 members have voted

1. 1. If Tom Brady Wins A SB Will He Be The Greatest Sports Player Of All Time?

• Already is
    • Yes
    • No

No player in team sport can be the greatest athlete of all time imo. You can say whatever you want about Jordan, he needed a great coach and needed a HOF player in Pippen on an already stacked team to do anything in the NBA, and it still took all the other prior greats retiring. Gretzky needed good teams as well to win anything. Babe Ruth was on some of the greatest Yankees teams of all time. 

Muhammad Ali is the best. He had to do it all himself. He had to do it in one of the most competitive era's of his sport. His sport was more purely athletic than any of the sports mentioned in this thread. He faced more adversity than nearly any athlete in history imo. 

For team sports Brady is the football equivalent to Jordan and Gretzky though. The most accomplished in their sport. I'm not even really sure Jordan is a whole lot better than Chamberlain or Lebron. I'm not really sure Gretzky is a whole lot better than Orr or Howe. And you can say the same for Brady. But their resumes and accomplishments speak for themselves. He's already at that level and nobody is likely to have a better resume.

16 minutes ago, everlong said:

Here's the thing, Brady has 10 other guys that can dilute him. Michael Jordan only had to deal with 4 others. Gretzky had five.

Really 23 when you count defense and the kicker and punter. But here's the thing, if whoever the goalie on Gretzky's team was got hot, it doesn't really matter how good or bad Gretzky plays. That's just the nature of that sport. And we know Jordan needed a great team to win as well. So it's kind of hard to start quantifying it. 

28 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

Just remember he always had one of the best OL's and the best coach.

I mean...Phil Jackson...

And the OL part isn’t true. 

I don't think he had great competition often either, but thats how it was in his time. 

I’d say a fellow top 4 all time QB is competent competition, no? 

3 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

I mean...Phil Jackson...

And the OL part isn’t true. 

I’d say a fellow top 4 all time QB is competent competition, no? 

This is a pet peeve of my mine. The whole "Brady always has a good o-line" seems to be a popular notion that people need to really get away from. The Pats offensive system is predicated on short outs,  quick reads and option routes which gives defenses less time to generate pressure. This helps makes the OL look better than they really are. 

3 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

This is a pet peeve of my mine. The whole "Brady always has a good o-line" seems to be a popular notion that people need to really get away from. The Pats offensive system is predicated on short outs,  quick reads and option routes which gives defenses less time to generate pressure. This helps makes the OL look better than they really are. 

He had good OL's, I am not asking, just stating the fact. OL's deserve credit 

4 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

He had good OL's, I am not asking, just stating the fact. OL's deserve credit 

Early on, yes. 

This decade the offensive line hasn’t been special. Good at times, bad at times. Up and down. 

1 hour ago, Starless said:

There's a difference between "greatest" and "best".

I would argue the best QB's from a physical standpoint are Marino/Young/Favre/Rodgers. i would also argue that their is a reason why all 4 of them (well Rodgers has a chance to change that) didn't have a lot of success despite having some really good teams while guys like Brady and Montana were able to have more. Because the QB position doesn't translate to wins based off strict raw physicality

6 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Early on, yes. 

This decade the offensive line hasn’t been special. Good at times, bad at times. Up and down. 

Ok, just remember than this could be subjective, I mean look at the OL's the Steelers had for the first 4 or 5 years tomlin got here9_9

Just now, 3rivers said:

Ok, just remember than this could be subjective, I mean look at the OL's the Steelers had for the first 4 or 5 years tomlin got here9_9

Well...yeah. It could be really, really bad. It wasn’t ever that bad outside of a couple games here or there. But it wasn’t as good as it was and definitely hasn’t been as good as some of the notably good offensive lines of this decade like the Cowboys or last year’s Raiders. 

Just remember a lot of the Patriots’ big post season losses (Giants x2, 2015 Broncos) have come off the backs of the offensive line getting Brady killed. Bryan Stork honestly did blow that game in 2015 (he was tipping the snap and the D-line picked it up right away). I won’t count the Jets or Ravens losses because there was more to those losses than pass rush, but Brady didn’t stay upright in those either.

Archived