Who would the Patriots rather Face Pitt or Jacksonville?

mdonnelly21

47 members have voted

1. 1. Who would the Patriots rather Face in the AFC Championship?

• Steelers
    • Jaguars

I thought about this directly after I had made it. 

But yeah, being that Bortles can single handily make a SB type of team which this Jags team is get blown out, I suppose I could understand why people would say they would rather face Jags.

However, Brady just doesn't have great success rate against historically elite defenses. Bortles would have to play at least average and no TO's though which is a big if. 

Jaguars imo. I really think that the Patriots would have still beat the 2015 Broncos at home. Hell I think the Patriots would have beat the Broncos in that game had they not missed that PAT because the defense was gassing and would not have survived overtime even in their home stadium. Also I think Bortles can be goaded into mistakes and be rendered into a no factor. 

The Steelers at full health have too many x factors with Brown and Bell. The Patriots haven't played a Steelers squad with Ben/Brown/Bell since 2013 which was Bell's rookie year and worst year. In 2015 Bell was suspended in the season opener, in 2016 Ben was injured during the regular season, Bell was injured in the post season. In 2017 Brown got injured during the game. If all 3 are on the field it could be a lot for the Patriots defense to handle. 

I’ll repost what I said in our forum. 

Even though it’s burned me in the past, I’ll say that I trust Brady and the offense more than I trust this defense - give me the weaker offensive team. 

I like Brady’s ability to score 14 points against Jacksonville more than I like our defense holding Pittsburgh’s offense in check (even though we’ve done it before). 

Both teams could beat New England. I’d just feel better about the Jags than the Steelers. Plus, even if NE loses to Jacksonville, I can finally root for another AFC team in the SB that isn’t Ben, Flacco, or Manning.

It's a QB league.  Unless Bortles channels his inner 2007/2011 Eli or 2012 Flacco, the Steelers are the obvious choice.  Now, if he could do that, the Jags become my choice because I think their D is that much better than the Steelers.

It is too difficult for defenses to shut down top-notch offenses for consecutive weeks unless they can put up a reasonable amount of points.  And no one trusts Bortles to do that.

Archived