These former Redskins must be lucky

Doc Draper

Damn I wish the the Redskins had drafted the Gaithersburg, MD native Stephon Diggs in 2015. He’s from my hometown. Ugh. Thank god we took Kouandjio in round 4 and Martrell Spaight in round 5. How stupid! I hope if DJ More falls to us in round 3 we don’t make the same mistake.

1 hour ago, Slateman said:

As for Leribius, I would ask not why we cut him, but why someone else was able to get so much more out of him in such a short amount of time

They got nothing out of him. He had to come in for a few series in one of their games I watched this year and he immediately got abused. He was an awful pick at the time and shanahan should've received way more criticism for that pick then he did. 

54 minutes ago, Slateman said:

Kai Korbath nailed a pretty clutch kick last night.

49 yarder, then kicked the kick off into the end zone and then nailed a 53-yard FG. Forbath is a career 65% FG kicker of 50 yards or over while the guy we replaced him with - Hopkins - is only 39% kicker from 50 or over.

On 1/15/2018 at 11:17 AM, turtle28 said:

49 yarder, then kicked the kick off into the end zone and then nailed a 53-yard FG. Forbath is a career 65% FG kicker of 50 yards or over while the guy we replaced him with - Hopkins - is only 39% kicker from 50 or over.

IIRC, Kai got better on his kicks 50+ after we let him go. I think it was this, plus his short kickoffs that led to his departure.

Either way, good for him.

2 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

IIRC, Kai got better on his kicks 50+ after we let him go. I think it was this, plus his short kickoffs that led to his departure.

Either way, good for him.

I looked it up, he wasn’t bad for us, we just chose not to kick any that were much over 50 with him and with Hop & Gano we’d try them up to 60

21 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I looked it up, he wasn’t bad for us, we just chose not to kick any that were much over 50 with him and with Hop & Gano we’d try them up to 60

Turtle - I will somewhat agree.

Up until this year he had attempted all of 8 kicks from 50+. He was 5/8 in those kicks. Which isn't bad except they were all from 50 yards, nothing longer (exception was one single 57 yarder). Do you not remember that the joke was that we needed to get the ball inside the 33 for us to kick a FG instead of punt or go for a long 4th down?

Additionally, he had the shortest kickoffs that I can remember (routinely dropping to the 5 and making for great field position for the other team). It was so bad that Tress Way had to take over the kickoff duties. 

Now, has he improved in both areas? Apparently so. I'm ambivalent that we let him go because I thought he was more accurate than Hop but Hop had a stronger leg. 

What has really helped Kai is that he is on a better offense and its given him more game kicks. He's attempted and made more FGs this year than any other year (including 6/9 from 50+ this year).

1 hour ago, Thaiphoon said:

Up until this year he had attempted all of 8 kicks from 50+. He was 5/8 in those kicks. Which isn't bad except they were all from 50 yards, nothing longer (exception was one single 57 yarder). Do you not remember that the joke was that we needed to get the ball inside the 33 for us to kick a FG instead of punt or go for a long 4th down?

Additionally, he had the shortest kickoffs that I can remember (routinely dropping to the 5 and making for great field position for the other team). It was so bad that Tress Way had to take over the kickoff duties. 

Now, has he improved in both areas? Apparently so. I'm ambivalent that we let him go because I thought he was more accurate than Hop but Hop had a stronger leg. 

What has really helped Kai is that he is on a better offense and its given him more game kicks. He's attempted and made more FGs this year than any other year (including 6/9 from 50+ this year).

im sure it helps kicking in a dome too

1 hour ago, Thaiphoon said:

Oh, I remember the “jokes you had sure,” that didn’t make them true. If we had good kick off coverage in 2012-14 it wouldn’t have mattered if his kickoffs landed from the 5 to 1 or 2 yards deep. If our coverage was good, they would tackle him inside the 20 most times 

35 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Oh, I remember the “jokes you had sure,” that didn’t make them true. If we had good kick off coverage in 2012-14 it wouldn’t have mattered if his kickoffs landed from the 5 to 1 or 2 yards deep. If our coverage was good, they would tackle him inside the 20 most times 

1) Not just me. Pretty much EVERYONE on this site remembers that instead of lengthening the field we could score from, Kai shortened it. I know @Woz 

2) He didn't hang the ball up. Which means the returner was at the 15-20 before our guys got to him. Additionally, if you touchback the ball, there's no return.

2012 = 24th in avg kickoff yards. And of the other starters, only 3 were worse in terms of touchbacks (#29). 

2013 = 29th in avg kickoff yards. Dead last at #32 with number of touchbacks. And to boot, GB's backup kicker had more TBs in 21 less kickoffs

2014 = 27th in avg kickoff yards. #31 in number of touchbacks.

2015 = HIS BEST YEAR FOR KICKOFFS FOR US!! He ranked #3 for avg kickoff yards! Yes, he did. Until he got hurt. But his TB still sucked (42%). His replacement, Hopkins promptly kicked 52 TB in 80 kickoffs (65%)

Hopkins

92 KO   15th

65 TB  (70%)

Avg Kickoff = (15th)

25 Returns (27%)

Forbath

88 KO

44TB  (50%)

Avg Kickoff =  (10th)

44 Returns (50%)

So...he got much better on his kickoffs after he left. Again. He wasn't that great on kickoffs for us and with our poor defense and return coverage, we needed a kicker who would get more TBs. I didn't like saying goodbye to his almost automatic kicks inside 50 yards. But I didn't mind seeing his short kicks go away

7 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

1) Not just me. Pretty much EVERYONE on this site remembers that instead of lengthening the field we could score from, Kai shortened it. I know @Woz 

2) He didn't hang the ball up. Which means the returner was at the 15-20 before our guys got to him. Additionally, if you touchback the ball, there's no return.

2012 = 24th in avg kickoff yards. And of the other starters, only 3 were worse in terms of touchbacks (#29). 

2013 = 29th in avg kickoff yards. Dead last at #32 with number of touchbacks. And to boot, GB's backup kicker had more TBs in 21 less kickoffs

2014 = 27th in avg kickoff yards. #31 in number of touchbacks.

2015 = HIS BEST YEAR FOR KICKOFFS FOR US!! He ranked #3 for avg kickoff yards! Yes, he did. Until he got hurt. But his TB still sucked (42%). His replacement, Hopkins promptly kicked 52 TB in 80 kickoffs (65%)

Hopkins

92 KO   15th

65 TB  (70%)

Avg Kickoff = (15th)

25 Returns (27%)

Forbath

88 KO

44TB  (50%)

Avg Kickoff =  (10th)

44 Returns (50%)

So...he got much better on his kickoffs after he left. Again. He wasn't that great on kickoffs for us and with our poor defense and return coverage, we needed a kicker who would get more TBs. I didn't like saying goodbye to his almost automatic kicks inside 50 yards. But I didn't mind seeing his short kicks go away

Again, kick off coverage needed to be improved. I’d rather focus on that and have an automatic kicker inside 50 than a guy who can boom it out of the end zone but misses 8 kicks, including a game winner vs Cindy.

Hopkins 0-2 over 50 this year and 3-7 or 43% over 50 last year so, 3-9 the last two years over 50 the last two years.

What does a strong leg matter if it’s inaccurate? 

Archived