OC Brian Schottenheimer

ThirtyOne-EightyNine

I'm willing to give it a fair chance before I knock it.  What he did in the past was the past.  I don't think he's ever really had a good QB when he's been a team's offensive coordinator.  I can't really recall every detail about his time with the Jets, but I'm thinking Mark Sanchez was there.  And obviously for the Rams, they've had poor QB play since Marc Bulger was their QB quite a while ago (not including Goff as part of their poor QB play).

From what I've been reading, this is just a move to bring the offense back to what Pete said he wanted to do the day he was hired:  to be a dominant run team.  

Brian's most effective units were able to run on teams at will, even though defenses knew what was coming.  I'm certain that's why Pete brought him in, and thought so highly of him as to hire him before the end of the playoffs.  

FieldGulls has a very comprehensive longform piece on his career, if you are into that sort of thing.

This move makes a little more sense through the view that ProFootballTalk published recently, which is that the offense would be incorporating more college elements to suit the QB.  The article speculated that was the reason for the (unrequited) interest in John DeFilipo, but Brian has actual college coordinating experience as recently as 2 years ago.  

What it boils down to is that this offense is going to be exactly what Pete Carroll wants it to be.  History shows that generally means success.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt to schotty. I hope we can get back to playing some Marty ball, simular to papa schotty's teams.I do think we need to pick a stud runner if we are in position to, I dont trust anyone on our roster.  I know with norton back we will start playing Petes defense again, hopefully land a LB in the mold of malcolm smith that can cover well and get away from running that big nickel 80% of the time..

I just don’t understand Carroll’s desire.. I mean I do, but I don’t.

Our strengths on offense are our QB and our receiver options. Why are we trying to return to the traditional smash mouth brand when we’ve the pieces for something unorthodox, fast pace, yet equally as aggressive? Imagine if we ran an offense similar to KC, PHI, NE..

Archived