Jump to content
devils1854

What Comics Are You Reading?

Recommended Posts

I didnt see a thread. I know there was a long one on the other forum, so lets get this one going.

 

I dont read too often, but I have started reading Doomsday Clock, the Watchmen/DC crossover, and after two issues, Im very impressed.

Also, decided to re-read Hush. Still the greatest comic storyline ever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Both Marvel and DC are a hot mess right now.  Lucky for DC, they have the GOAT writer coming onboard in Bendis.  Can't wait to see what he does but man he has his work cut out for him.

Can't believe Invincible is coming to an end.  Just one issue left!  Without question, it's the greatest solo superhero book of all time.  The Walking Dead gets all the love but Invincible is Robert Kirkman's best work ever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

Both Marvel and DC are a hot mess right now.  Lucky for DC, they have the GOAT writer coming onboard in Bendis.  Can't wait to see what he does but man he has his work cut out for him.

Can't believe Invincible is coming to an end.  Just one issue left!  Without question, it's the greatest solo superhero book of all time.  The Walking Dead gets all the love but Invincible is Robert Kirkman's best work ever.

You're pretty much right. I think thats the reason I really havent read much in the past year or so. I read one comic from either Marvel/DC and its just bad, and I dont go to the next. Ive tried a few of the JLA and Batman on the DC side, and some Avengers and Spider-man/Deadpool stuff from Marvel and its just bad.

Doomsday Clock seems to be the only thing worth reading right now, but Johns is writing it, so thats probably the reason.

 

I did forget that I did read the whole Runaways run from its beginning until now. Really enjoyed the first two volumes, but the newer ones are just bad. From the overly SJW storytelling, to the artwork looking almost like anime. It was just terrible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think DC has been pretty good as a whole since Rebirth. Obviously there are missteps there, but it is literally impossible not to with such a large purview. Tom King's batman has been great. Nightwing has been good. Superman has been solid. I don't care for the Metal event though, just too convoluted

 

Marvel is a total hot mess right now though. Champions is the only ongoing I enjoy right now. 

 

Anyone else reading the new Archie? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, thrILL! said:

Both Marvel and DC are a hot mess right now.  Lucky for DC, they have the GOAT writer coming onboard in Bendis.  Can't wait to see what he does but man he has his work cut out for him.

Can't believe Invincible is coming to an end.  Just one issue left!  Without question, it's the greatest solo superhero book of all time.  The Walking Dead gets all the love but Invincible is Robert Kirkman's best work ever.

Bendis has been pretty mediocre for like the last 5 years. He's getting a shot at Superman so let's hope he can bring back the his glory days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/14/2018 at 3:37 PM, Deadpulse said:

I think DC has been pretty good as a whole since Rebirth. Obviously there are missteps there, but it is literally impossible not to with such a large purview. Tom King's batman has been great. Nightwing has been good. Superman has been solid. I don't care for the Metal event though, just too convoluted

 

Marvel is a total hot mess right now though. Champions is the only ongoing I enjoy right now. 

 

Anyone else reading the new Archie? 

Agreed. DC has been pretty damn good along with their Young Animal print. King's Batman, Jokes & Riddles especially, was great. Cyborg was also solid along with Lanterns and WW.

 

Marvel has already killed off a handful of titles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RaiderX said:

Marvel has already killed off a handful of titles.

a lot of the ones I liked too... She-Hulk WAS good when it was just Hulk, but when they changed to the legacy title/numbers it killed it. The Xmen titles have been treading water.. except for young Jean Grey but they killed off that ongoing after 12 issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Bullet Club said:

Bendis has been pretty mediocre for like the last 5 years. He's getting a shot at Superman so let's hope he can bring back the his glory days.

His mediocre is still better than 90% of writers out there.  Not sure what was mediocre tho.  Jessica Jones, Powers, Murder Inc, are all elite comics.  Both his Iron Man series have been good esp Infamous Iron Man which is the best Dr. Doom has EVER been.  Spider-Man (Miles Morales) has Spider-Men are solid.  His Old Man Logan mini was great.  

The only thing mediocre he’s done imo is GotG but I’ve never been a fan of the book or movies.  Defenders has been decent but felt like they forced him to make it too much like the Netflix shows which are mostly crap. 

But being at DC means an entirely new sandbox to play in.  Should be epic.  

Edited by thrILL!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think these are graphic novels not comics (idk difference) but I'm halfway through Watchmen, then got Preacher next then wanna read the end of the fckin world and the dark knight returns one where he's old or whatever 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/14/2018 at 5:50 PM, thrILL! said:

Both Marvel and DC are a hot mess right now.  Lucky for DC, they have the GOAT writer coming onboard in Bendis.  Can't wait to see what he does but man he has his work cut out for him.

Can't believe Invincible is coming to an end.  Just one issue left!  Without question, it's the greatest solo superhero book of all time.  The Walking Dead gets all the love but Invincible is Robert Kirkman's best work ever.

Why is that? I just read the first comic for it after reading what you guys said about it and the "invincible/invulnerable" blah blah just makes characters boring for me. I am interested in hearing more about it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Tyty said:

Why is that? I just read the first comic for it after reading what you guys said about it and the "invincible/invulnerable" blah blah just makes characters boring for me. I am interested in hearing more about it

Are you talking about the comic book Invincible?  If so, it tells the tale of the son of the world’s greatest superhero who’s waiting for his powers to kick in. It follows the archetype of Superman (and the Justice League) and his equivalent of Kryptonian heritage before taking some dramatic twists and turns but the book is focused on the son and the expectations that come with who he is.  Don’t want to spoil the opening arc’s twist but man it’s fantastic.  It gets even better from there.  

And trust me the kid isn’t close to being invincible or invulnerable; it’s just the name he picked.  It has some of the most realistic dialogue and the characterization is off the charts. 

Edited by thrILL!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought three comics about Han Solo and Chewbacca when I was 11.  Then I bought the entire The Thing comic series from Dark Horse comics.  And that's all I know about comics.  I know people wanted my input on comics, so I delivered. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, thrILL! said:

Are you talking about the comic book Invincible?  If so, it tells the tale of the son of the world’s greatest superhero who’s waiting for his powers to kick in. It follows the archetype of Superman (and the Justice League) and his equivalent of Kryptonian heritage before taking some dramatic twists and turns but the book is focused on the son and the expectations that come with who he is.  Don’t want to spoil the opening arc’s twist but man it’s fantastic.  It gets even better from there.  

And trust me the kid isn’t close to being invincible or invulnerable; it’s just the name he picked.  It has some of the most realistic dialogue and the characterization is off the charts. 

Ive read the first arc. The 13 episodes. It was pretty good. Started off bad. I was disinterested until about #5, but it really picked up from there.  I did like the first twist. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Tyty said:

I think these are graphic novels not comics (idk difference) but I'm halfway through Watchmen, then got Preacher next then wanna read the end of the fckin world and the dark knight returns one where he's old or whatever 

Those are good. Watchmen is a top 10 comic. Preacher is so much better than the series, and I like the series. Never read end of the world. Dont care to. Dark Knight Returns is good, but I think is a little overrated. If you want to read Batman, go with Hush(greatest comic ever imo), The Killing Joke, or Court of Owls. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×