What Comics Are You Reading?

devils1854

Agents of Atlas #1
Written by Greg Pak and Jeff Parker
Penciled by Gang Hyuk Lim and Carlo Pagualyan

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5uZXdzYXJhbWEuY29tL2ltYWdl

This is essentially two stories with Greg Pak, and Gang Hyuk Lim tackling the storyline of the latest iteration of the team, which is composed of Amandeus Cho/new Hulk, Silk, Shang Chi, Aero, Wave, and Luna Snow. There are others that haven't been introduced yet in this first issue, but they were in the mini series of this same team during the recent War of Realms arc (I also read an issue of that). In that first story of this issue, it seems typical fare with the team not even complete, and seeing which direction/what their purpose is as a new squad. Most of these guys I didn't know, but it was fine. Cho is spotlighted here with Jimmy Woo, and essentially his status as field leader is brought up since Cho is questioning his fit, and if it's appropriate. The meat here in terms of what potential obstacle the team may face is kind of interesting. We shall see. Even a love triangle has reared it's head. 

The second by Parker, and Pagulayan is about the classic roster. I knew nothing about that team going in, but still had a decent time with the tale, and it did connect with the first story in terms of a big question I had. Basically a short black ops type of deal that happens, and you find out a little bit of what wizard is behind that curtain, which in a way ties into Jimmy Woo's relationship with the new team. 

All in all, not bad.

House of X #2
Written by Johnathan Hickman
Penciled by Pepe Larraz

House-Of-X-2-2019.jpg?fit=400,615&ssl=1

This was another compelling issue. Between what Hickman is doing here, and Cates is doing with Absolute Carnage out of the gate, Marvel is shelling out two heavy hitter stories I think. 

Here, Moira MacTaggert is given a ton of interesting dimension, and taken in a direction that is really intriguing. It reminded me of something Rod Serling would write on his best day. Hickman is playing his long game of course, and there is still more questions raised just went some answers are revealed from the previous issue. This was tight.

2 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

House of X #2
Written by Johnathan Hickman
Penciled by Pepe Larraz

House-Of-X-2-2019.jpg?fit=400,615&ssl=1

This was another compelling issue. Between what Hickman is doing here, and Cates is doing with Absolute Carnage out of the gate, Marvel is shelling out two heavy hitter stories I think. 

Here, Moira MacTaggert is given a ton of interesting dimension, and taken in a direction that is really intriguing. It reminded me of something Rod Serling would write on his best day. Hickman is playing his long game of course, and there is still more questions raised just went some answers are revealed from the previous issue. This was tight.

In one issue, Hickman took a long-standing (and lets face it... pretty boring) but marginal character in Moira and turned her into one of the best X-characters of all time.  Wow that was awesome.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

In one issue, Hickman took a long-standing (and lets face it... pretty boring) but marginal character in Moira and turned her into one of the best X-characters of all time.  Wow that was awesome.  

Hickman knows what he is doing. He doest get as much Hype as Bendis and Snyder but he is in that tier IMO. Tom King is also getting there

21 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

Hickman knows what he is doing. He doest get as much Hype as Bendis and Snyder but he is in that tier IMO. Tom King is also getting there

Secret Warriors was fantastic and I think that’s where I became a fan of his.  I wouldn’t mind rereading that run again.  

3 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

DCeased #4
Written by Tom Taylor
Penciled by Trevor Hairsine

DCeased-4.jpg?resize=696%2C1070&quality=

This continues to be exciting for me. Issue 3 was the only issue I thought sagged a bit, but was still decent. Here, things pick up, and **** just gets more grim with a couple of more heroes/villains being taken out by the virus. One in particular is infected, and it just seems like checkmate for the Earth at that point. I think I know how this will turn out, but maybe Taylor will pull a rabbit out of hat, if things even turn out well at all. 

Hairsine has some good panels in this issue. I don't know why I've done a 180 on him since issue 1, but I'm pretty comfortable with him for now. He's a decent choice. There is one panel involving Cyborg and Giganta which is pretty polarizing in the latest issue. Pretty dope.

Is this an Elseworlds style book?  I’m enjoying it so far but it’s difficult to see them bringing everything back to the status quo without being completely contrived.  I’d love to see it end with whoever is infected just be gone and the story ends.  It doesn’t have to affect continuity bcuz it exists outside of it.  It drives me crazy that DC and Marvel don’t do more of this.  But of course there will be a cure and everything goes back to normal   Sigh   

It’s  good to see Hairsine back on the art.  I haven’t seen his stuff for awhile (tbh the last thing I remember seeing of his was a Black Panther issue where T’Challa fought Sabertooth in a House of M tie-in IIRC).  I think his big breakthrough was on Ultimate Six where ppl described him as a Bryan Hitch clone but that series was great.  I agree that the artwork has gotten better with each issue.  

32 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

Read his Avengers lead up to Secret Wars

Tbh I couldn’t get into his Avengers run, Secret Wars or Infinity. I definitely appreciated how ambitious they were but it just didn’t click for me.  I’ll prolly give them another look one of these days.  I still haven't gotten around to reading his run on FF either.  I’ve heard great things about it too but FF has always been a book I could never get excited for. 

1 hour ago, thrILL! said:

Tbh I couldn’t get into his Avengers run, Secret Wars or Infinity. I definitely appreciated how ambitious they were but it just didn’t click for me.  I’ll prolly give them another look one of these days.  I still haven't gotten around to reading his run on FF either.  I’ve heard great things about it too but FF has always been a book I could never get excited for. 

not big on his FF run myself, it is why I was meh about him until AFTER Secret Wars. Read like, the last ten issues of his Avengers run. 

24 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

not big on his FF run myself, it is why I was meh about him until AFTER Secret Wars. Read like, the last ten issues of his Avengers run. 

Sounds good.  I grew up during the heart of legendary Chris Claremont run and that was THE book in comics for decades so this X run has brought me back to team that meant so much for so long (plus he’s already doing amazing work).  But beyond a few arcs over the years, I haven’t been into the X-Men at all. Some runs like Utopia were downright awful imo.  

I didn’t want to get too excited about this run after having been letdown before but my oh my has Hickman delivered even beyond my wildest expectations.  

7 hours ago, thrILL! said:

Is this an Elseworlds style book?  I’m enjoying it so far but it’s difficult to see them bringing everything back to the status quo without being completely contrived.  I’d love to see it end with whoever is infected just be gone and the story ends.  It doesn’t have to affect continuity bcuz it exists outside of it.  It drives me crazy that DC and Marvel don’t do more of this.  But of course there will be a cure and everything goes back to normal   Sigh   

It’s  good to see Hairsine back on the art.  I haven’t seen his stuff for awhile (tbh the last thing I remember seeing of his was a Black Panther issue where T’Challa fought Sabertooth in a House of M tie-in IIRC).  I think his big breakthrough was on Ultimate Six where ppl described him as a Bryan Hitch clone but that series was great.  I agree that the artwork has gotten better with each issue.  

Yeah from what I heard it doesn't take place in the main continuity. I'm afraid with this latest issue, Tom Taylor has set up an easy out with the narrative which would really be an unoriginal direction to go towards. Within the universe I understand why the characters would do that, but it just sets a bad precedent in my opinion. Maybe it's just a bait and switch though. 

Invisible Woman #2
Written by Mark Waid
Art by Mattia de Iulis

781439._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg

Two issues in, and even though I'm not that huge on the art style, Mark Waid as usual has me intrigued. I've always liked the Fantastic Four, and it's dope that the Invisible Woman gets her own book to shine in, even if it's just a 5 issue mini series. This issue picks up essentially where the first left off with Susan traveling to Madripoor to find her former partner when she worked with S.H.I.E.L.D. who has gone missing. Black Widow joins her crusade, and already I like their partnership. Waid really does a good job showcasing Susan's abilities as well in interesting ways. The premise here just seems so obvious here from the jump, I'm surprised no one has thought of it before (at least to my knowledge). Susan would be the perfect candidate for a secret agent.

Edited by PapaShogun

Deathstroke vs Batman 
Written by Christopher Priest
Penciled by Carlo Pagulayan 

Deathstroke-vs-Batman.jpg

I read the Deathstroke vs Batman 6 issue arc in the new Deathstroke series. I'm not reading the regular title overall since I'm not a huge Deathstroke fan, but I wanted to see what he would do with both of these characters. Overall, I thought it was a decent story. Priest crafts a tale with aspects of fatherhood with Damian's heritage coming into question as the starting point. This idea of fatherhood also extends to Bruce and Deathstroke's father figures themselves becoming involved. Priest I feel puts more emphasis on Batman and Deathstroke essentially having a big argument about how wrong their approaches in life are rather than the mystery regarding Damian. That's what the book feels like it was about to me. Anyway, decent read. Carlo Pagulayan has some really good art in these issues, and Ed Benes even does an issue himself. Cool. 

Superman Up in the Sky #2
Written by Tom King
Penciled by Andy Kubert

STL127495?type=1

Two issues in, and I feel like this series is pretty decent. I'm enjoying Tom King's run on Batman as I'm trying to catch up, so I decided to give his take on Superman a try, since I love Supes. Also, Andy Kubert on pencils sealed the deal for me. These stories so far are essentially what was in the Wal Mart exclusive Superman Giant comic that was released last year. Great to finally read these. 

This issue has two tales, both a means to an end for Superman to continue his quest to find a little girl that was whisked away from Earth to parts unknown. The first story is Superman in some sort of inter-galactic boxing match. If he wins, he will be provided the information he wants. If he loses, he gives up his mission. The second is a badly injured Superman coming into contact with aliens that try to heal him, but have to decide if the cost is worth it. 

I think I liked this better than the first issue, which was more of Superman doing some soul searching to get the plot rolling. It was the first issue though, so whatever. I'll continue along with the series, which I'm already more interested in more so compared to what Brian Michael Bendis has been doing on the main book. Andy Kubert is such a gem too, so I can't resist.