AFCCG - Jags at Pats

tonyto36

2 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

You know the issue I keep coming back to...

636239062267925515-Tom-Coughlin-QUOTE.jp

He just gets it, doesn't he. He doesn't see a maze like other defensive coaches do. He see's a path.

I don't get this story line. He's in the front office. He's not going to be on the field coaching Sunday?

3 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Well, if it is another version of 2015 Broncos, I'd be excited. We are healthier, and we are at home.

Can we say this Jags team is like the 15 Broncos though? I can't see that team giving up nearly 40 points to Pittsburgh. Haven't JAX either lost 2 of their 4 recent games, and/or given up a lot of points in the process? Like, more than we have? Not saying they're not a fantastically dangerous D, because they are, but we've faced tougher with fewer weapons healthy, I believe.

This team is nowhere near the 15 Broncos. This team gave up 40 points twice in the last 4 weeks

Jags defense is really really good.

Hate to say it but, this is going to be a tough game.  Expect early attempts to have Rex ground and pound into walls of Jags, a bunch of screen plays + dumps, end-arounds, and hope that White + Lewis can play at their best.  

Going to be a  lot of Gronk action too with Ramsey locking down Cooks.  

8 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Well, if it is another version of 2015 Broncos, I'd be excited. We are healthier, and we are at home.

Can we say this Jags team is like the 15 Broncos though? I can't see that team giving up nearly 40 points to Pittsburgh. Haven't JAX either lost 2 of their 4 recent games, and/or given up a lot of points in the process? Like, more than we have? Not saying they're not a fantastically dangerous D, because they are, but we've faced tougher with fewer weapons healthy, I believe.

I wouldn't call this Jags team the 2015 Broncos b/c even a 2015 broken down Peyton Manning was more dangerous than Blake Bortles. I'll admit they have a better feature back in Leonard Fournette than the Broncos did in C.J. Anderson but the Broncos moved the ball well in the first half against a soft/shaky Pats defense.

The key is not making Blake Bortles look great like how they made Jay Cutler look great in the MNF loss to the Dolphins. This may be a game where the Pats have to rely on their defense/special teams to win it but like I said if the Jags defense play like they did in Pitt then the Pats offense will score points. Also both Jags safties Taysun Gibson & Barry Church are banged up.

Watched a little more/read up on Jacksonville…

Defensively, there's no doubt they're great. I think it should be noted that we have experience in big games against these types of defensive schemes. The Jaguars play primarily Cover 3/ 4-3 Under (Atlanta, Seattle, Miami).

The D is fast, disruptive, and AGGRESSIVE (for better or worse). Their aggressiveness is a con just as much as it is a pro. It's a unit with a great pass rush (exterior and interior), quick, athletic LB's and two outstanding corners. Ramsey is probably the DPOY, Cambell is a PROBLEM on the edge and they have an interior pass rush.

Really think our offensive game plan is going to have three focuses:

1) Run the ball effectively.

2) "Death by a thousand paper cuts" air attack. Horizontal vs. Vertical. In the SB against Seattle, this was the game plan. Atlanta, same thing. Take what the defense gives you, and march down the field slowly, ala, dink and dunk. Might be frustrating to watch, but it's really the way to move the ball on the Jaguars. Get the ball to White, Burkhead and Lewis and get that YAC. Could be another big game for Danny Amendola as well. We all know he'll be ready.

3) And of course, ball protection. Can't afford to gift Bortles any short fields.

Defensively:

1)  Stop the running game. It's the #1 overall key to winning this football game. Their offense's success is tied to 1) their running game and 2) their big plays that are set up because of the run game. It's not just stopping Fournette, Yeldon is a very capable back.

2) When their run game is working, they like to take deep shots down the field. Bortles isn't going to dip and dunk down the field. His short passes are designed and calculated. But when Bortles can't find success with the deep ball or PI, they really struggle to move the ball. He's not capable of putting together the type of drives our offensive game plan will be designed around.

3)  Keep Bortles in the pocket. Can't let him escape and extend drives.

If we shut down their running game, Bortles is really going to struggle. I know this is going to be the focus, Belichick is going to do his best to make their offense play left handed.

2 hours ago, 1ForTheThumb said:

Watched a little more/read up on Jacksonville…

Defensively, there's no doubt they're great. I think it should be noted that we have experience in big games against these types of defensive schemes. The Jaguars play primarily Cover 3/ 4-3 Under (Atlanta, Seattle, Miami).

The D is fast, disruptive, and AGGRESSIVE (for better or worse). Their aggressiveness is a con just as much as it is a pro. It's a unit with a great pass rush (exterior and interior), quick, athletic LB's and two outstanding corners. Ramsey is probably the DPOY, Cambell is a PROBLEM on the edge and they have an interior pass rush.

Really think our offensive game plan is going to have three focuses:

1) Run the ball effectively.

2) "Death by a thousand paper cuts" air attack. Horizontal vs. Vertical. In the SB against Seattle, this was the game plan. Atlanta, same thing. Take what the defense gives you, and march down the field slowly, ala, dink and dunk. Might be frustrating to watch, but it's really the way to move the ball on the Jaguars. Get the ball to White, Burkhead and Lewis and get that YAC. Could be another big game for Danny Amendola as well. We all know he'll be ready.

3) And of course, ball protection. Can't afford to gift Bortles any short fields.

Defensively:

1)  Stop the running game. It's the #1 overall key to winning this football game. Their offense's success is tied to 1) their running game and 2) their big plays that are set up because of the run game. It's not just stopping Fournette, Yeldon is a very capable back.

2) When their run game is working, they like to take deep shots down the field. Bortles isn't going to dip and dunk down the field. His short passes are designed and calculated. But when Bortles can't find success with the deep ball or PI, they really struggle to move the ball. He's not capable of putting together the type of drives our offensive game plan will be designed around.

3)  Keep Bortles in the pocket. Can't let him escape and extend drives.

If we shut down their running game, Bortles is really going to struggle. I know this is going to be the focus, Belichick is going to do his best to make their offense play left handed.

Bortles is hit or miss.  He can definitely sling the ball deep downfield and make some nice passes but, half the time he just makes you scratch your head wondering what the hell he's thinking.  AKA this isn't going to be an easy game because we can't ignore Fournette and as much as Bortles sucks, his problem is 80% mental and if he's not shaky or he thinks he's on fire, he's going to make some good throws.  He's also got some mean YAC receivers so, we definitely cannot ignore the pass game.  

We'll probably be using our run thumpers heavily so, expect a few big chunk gains in the air while the whole team focuses on eliminating Fournette.  Or we could run with the classic BB strategy of 100% annihilating the passing game and trying to race our offense vs. the other team's run game.  

15 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

How good is your OL? I thought we would get to Ben alot but didnt. Is there any glaring weakness or a pretty strong unit all together?

OL is ok.   It's a smart unit and our run blocking at the second level is great but, our pass protection gets destroyed by super athletic DLines.   

50 minutes ago, 1ForTheThumb said:

Jaguars defense:

• Flacco
  • McCown
  • Brissett x2
  • Dalton
  • Kizer
  • Gabbert
  • Yates
  • Savage
  • Taylor

PPG against: 9.8

• Mariota x2
  • Goff
  • Wilson
  • Garoppolo
  • Rivers
  • Big Ben x2

PPG against: 26.8

Mariota didn’t do much week 17. 9 of their 15 points were gifted because of field position.

Goff didn’t do much. They scored 14 of their 27 points on special teams TD’s.

Wilson was ok. Threw 3 picks but also took advantage of busted coverage’s for long TD’s.

Jimmy G carved us up. Props to him. 7 of their 44 came on an INT return for a TD.

Rivers was solid. Still only put up 17 points. Eckler (their backup RB, had the two receiving TD’s).

Big Ben didn’t do a thing in the first game. Despite his 5 TD performance on Sunday (1 being garbage time), he still managed to have more turnovers than TD’s in two games vs the Jags. 7 turnovers to 5 TD’s.

Jags still went 4-4 in those 8 games.

Seems like one thing the Pats might be able to exploit is forcing Paul Posluszny into coverage. He comes off the field when the offense has extra WRs in the formation but putting Develin or Dwayne Allen into the game and then motioning them out of the backfield could create some confusion.

That seems to be one thing Kyle Shanahan did that worked so well for the 49ers against them that the Pats would be able to replicate.

49 minutes ago, Starless said:

Seems like one thing the Pats might be able to exploit is forcing Paul Posluszny into coverage. He comes off the field when the offense has extra WRs in the formation but putting Develin or Dwayne Allen into the game and then motioning them out of the backfield could create some confusion.

That seems to be one thing Kyle Shanahan did that worked so well for the 49ers against them that the Pats would be able to replicate.

I expect them to study that 49ers game a lot. That a pretty underwhelming offensive group (except for their dreamy QB) could put up those points means there must be a schematic weakness somewhere.

Archived