AFCCG - Jags at Pats

tonyto36

Just saw a miserable quote that makes the '07/'11 Giants/ and '12 Ravens playoff losses all the more bitter.  

Flacco threw 11 touchdowns without an interception over a four-game stretch during the 2012 postseason and hasn't posted a single four-game run with 11 touchdowns or zero interceptions in 71 ensuing tries. Eli went 8-0 during his two Super Bowl runs and hasn't won a playoff game otherwise.

3 hours ago, lancerman said:

The only reason I prefer the Jags is because I don't think we were going to effectively shutdown both Bell and Brown and it was going to be a close toss up game like the last one. With the Jags I think we know what we have to do and it comes down to how not can but will we execute it effectively. I see us playing the a very methodical game.

I see it going the same way the 2016 Denver game went. Alot of Lewis up the middle. Most passes will be to runners out of the backfield. Lots of no huddle. Jacksonville has a clear weakness in defending the run. We do to. However, if they sell out to stop the run, we have Brady/Gronk/Dola/Hogan/Mitchell so pick your poison. We should play the Jags offense very similar to how we played the Titans offense. I see this being a slogfest.

Not an easy game by any means, but Jacksonville is not unbeatable. They aren't the 2015 Broncos that grinded out win after win against nearly everyone. I also think the Patriots over the years have been built offensively to alleviate the weaknesses that made us susceptible to the Giants/Ravens/Broncos defenses. Quick passes, out of the backfield, methodical drives, volume of plays. Wear them out, make them adjust, expose new weaknesses. I think once it becomes a game of adjustments we'll have them.

The Steelers/Jaguars choice thought process is exactly how I felt.  Brown/Bell have the talent to come in and hang 40 on us, and in those types of games it can go either way.  I really don't think Bortles is capable of playing a cleaner game than Brady if we make it a slog fest.  Especially in Foxboro where we have the home crowd to help (versus in Denver, or anywhere else because our silent count play sucks).  

I think Cooks/Hogan are both capable of a Lafell game where they're just a complete non factor, but also lost in the 2015 massacre was....

1.  The Patriots nearly came back and won, and likely would have won if not for Gostkowski

2.  We were running the corpse of Stephen Jackson at RB so coupled with their solid run defense, we weren't getting anything done so they could just attack Brady

3.  Our offensive line was a mess going into it.  No Solder, Cannon had yet to improve [largely due to Scar], Kline was starting, Stork was a mess this game, and Mason also had yet to improve.   We're now better at LT, LG, C, and RG than we were then; and RT is probably about a wash.  

On top of all of that, the Broncos corners and safeties were better than the current Jags secondary and their pass rush was also better.  And while our 2015 defense was better than this years probably, that years Broncos also had a lot more talent on offense than these Jags.   The more I talk about the game the more comfortable I am Patriots going to win.

Offensively, I really think the key to this game is Lewis, Burkhead and White. The Jaguars run a lot of similar coverages to the Falcons and Seahawks, often leaving the RB's open in the passing game. I'm glad to see Rapoports report this morning that Burkhead is expected back, he could have a big role this week. Really think we lean on the RB's in the running game (Jags are vulnerable to the run, but have gotten better since the Dareus trade) and in the receiving game.

Defensively, it obviously starts with stopping Fournette and making them beat us through the air. Yeldon is a capable backup as well and they have a good OL. We have to eliminate Fournette and make Bortles beat us through the air. That is the overall key of the game, IMO. 

It's going to be a tough, "old school", type Patriots playoff win, where the defense wins the game and the offense does just enough. Can't wait for this one.

Good luck guys, hope that everyone stays healthy. I am still very terrified of playing the Patriots. We struggled to get pressure on Ben and without it on Brady he will pick us apart. Cant expect to win a shootout vs you guys. Need a near perfect game for us. I expect to be a 10 pt under dog. I think we can win and definitely play the "no chance" team well but we need a lot of lucky breaks

49 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Good luck guys, hope that everyone stays healthy. I am still very terrified of playing the Patriots.

Don't be. This is the most vulnerable Patriots team since 2013. 

We struggled to get pressure on Ben and without it on Brady he will pick us apart.

I think Fowler and Ngakoue will both get theirs against whichever one of Waddle/Fleming they go up against. The most interesting matchup will be Campbell against the Pats' guards. Mason has been excellent this season but Thuney struggled down the stretch. I know the Jags don't blitz mutch but it might be worth it try to get Smith or Jack through the A-gap while playing press coverage on the outside to disrupt Brady's timing in the 1st quarter. He has trouble re-establishing rhythm when he gets hit early on and that might allow the Jags to build a lead and force the Pats' offense to become one-dimensional.

9 hours ago, Starless said:

Jags haven't turned the ball over in the playoffs yet... 

I guess you didn't see the 2 dropped Int's in the Bills game that Bortles threw? I'm praying for that Bortles to show up badly again. I wan't even convinced the Jags were gonna get through until they kicked the FG with under 2 to go to go ahead by 10. I also hope the same Jags defense that played yesterday shows up again b/c they tried their hardest to give the game to the Steelers in the second half yesterday.

Just crunched the numbers. Since the terrible start in September for the first 4 weeks... the Patriots actually have been the best team in the league as far as ppg from weak 5 on. Patriots 14ppg, Vikings 14.6, Jaguars 16.1, Eagles 16.9. Meanwhile, Jacksonville's weakest stretch of the year defensively came in December and we just saw Pittsburgh hang 40 on a couple days ago. 

Really liking our chances. Our defense has been holding up the best as of late between the remaining playoff teams and our offense is imo easily the best.

Well, if it is another version of 2015 Broncos, I'd be excited. We are healthier, and we are at home.

Can we say this Jags team is like the 15 Broncos though? I can't see that team giving up nearly 40 points to Pittsburgh. Haven't JAX either lost 2 of their 4 recent games, and/or given up a lot of points in the process? Like, more than we have? Not saying they're not a fantastically dangerous D, because they are, but we've faced tougher with fewer weapons healthy, I believe.

6 hours ago, NFL Network said:

I guess you didn't see the 2 dropped Int's in the Bills game that Bortles threw? I'm praying for that Bortles to show up badly again. I wan't even convinced the Jags were gonna get through until they kicked the FG with under 2 to go to go ahead by 10. I also hope the same Jags defense that played yesterday shows up again b/c they tried their hardest to give the game to the Steelers in the second half yesterday.

Well, we play a very different scheme to the Bills. He will have more time (unless we go full monster-mode like we did vs TEN on the line), but will see a busier middle-of-field. I don't know where he throws most of his picks, or what his passer rating is like under pressure, but his receivers will be outnumbered, which may make him hold on to the ball longer - and I think good things (bad for them) happen when this happens.

Archived