The Future of This Franchise (Coaching Staff Debate)

steelcurtain29

13 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I think drafting another all around DT is a low key great improvement for our defense. I think we struggle to stop the run because we’re a 4-3 team shoehorned into a 3-4. Everyone of our front seven guys could survive and thrive in a 4-3. 

Watt???

14 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I think drafting another all around DT is a low key great improvement for our defense. I think we struggle to stop the run because we’re a 4-3 team shoehorned into a 3-4. Everyone of our front seven guys could survive and thrive in a 4-3. 

I think we're just a Fat Guy in the middle (and a SS that's instinctual) away from being a quality runstuffing 3-4 Front. Tuitt and Heyward are far better 3-4 DEs than a 4-3 DT/DE duo. I don't even think it's close.

3 hours ago, Chieferific said:

I think we're just a Fat Guy in the middle (and a SS that's instinctual) away from being a quality runstuffing 3-4 Front. Tuitt and Heyward are far better 3-4 DEs than a 4-3 DT/DE duo. I don't even think it's close.

Ditch the 3-4 and go to a hybrid front.  Two DTs playing 2-gap in the middle and two pass rushers on the outside.

3 hours ago, jebrick said:

Ditch the 3-4 and go to a hybrid front.  Two DTs playing 2-gap in the middle and two pass rushers on the outside.

This is what I was trying to say. Just draft another DT and play 4 man fronts. Hargrave could be a very nice interior rusher in a 4-3. Watt and Dupree can cover enough to play in an aggressive 4-3. 

51 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

This is what I was trying to say. Just draft another DT and play 4 man fronts. Hargrave could be a very nice interior rusher in a 4-3. Watt and Dupree can cover enough to play in an aggressive 4-3. 

I’m not sure I like the fit of Heyward and Tuitt at 4-3 DE.  I could see one of them playing LE, but I would prefer a more explosive DE who can run the arch at RE.  

I could see one at 3-tech and one at LE.  However that leads to another question of what you do with Hargrave.  

I think Hargrave’s fit will continue to come into question.  However,  is it Hargrave or bad ILBs?  I really struggle with this.  Do we need a more traditional NT like Vita Vea or do we just need an upgrade at ILB. 

Heck,  I actually wonder if we need to focus more on players who can tackle like in the past.  I’m sure there is a statistic out there , but I would be willing to bet the Steelers have one of the highest missed tackle percentages in the NFL.

41 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Give this 3 weeks and it's calming down.

then keep expecting this

It truly looked like the Steelers either didn't know what to do or that they didn't care, that they were assuming the game was basically over. It was not the best look for a playoff team, especially a playoff team that has not advanced to the Super Bowlsince 2010. 

32 minutes ago, 1BackInBlackFan said:

Since it's this idiot maybe he's not a strong a candidate.;)

lets hope, but for me, the D needs much more help than what losing Munchak would do. I  can't believe I am typing this, but that is how bad the D is .  And if tomlin lets the OL get the way it used to and the D stays as is, where will that lead to :S

People wanna blame the team for not rebuilding the defense better and it’s true in an ideal world they would have done a better job. But like I said before we have Ben on a franchise quarterback contract. We have built the offensive line into one of the stronger units which people complained about for years. They couldn’t have thought about not locking up AB long term without massive uproar from the fans. And now not many people are in favor of letting Bell get away either. 

That basically leaves the draft for rebuilding the defense which they’ve definitely made a concentrated effort with in the early rounds. Again I’m not saying we should be content with the defense where it’s at and I haven’t agreed with all of their decisions so far but a lot of people were happy with the Jarvis pick when it happened. Tuitt is a pretty good player when healthy. No one has complained about the Shazier pick. Everyone was super excited with Burns, Davis, and Hargrave going into this season. They went out and got Haden before the season. I don’t think they have neglected the defense they just haven’t been perfect by any means. My biggest complaint would be not having better depth past the d line but a lot of teams don’t. They need to continue working on the defense but not many teams have the money invested in the offense like we do and have a better defense. 

The Steelers screwed up by not picking up more veteran defensive players. We needed that for the playoff run. No, Harrison wasn't going to be that guy, Joe Haden was a right step in the direction. We need at least two more. James Farrior made this defense for what it was mainly because he understood the defense and can make calls when in doubt. 

This means possibly getting a player that would be tad too slow for our defense yet we would be more effective in that regards. Got to eat our poison. 

It's why I am not a fan of drafting a linebacker, that guy WON'T solve our communication issue and Mike Mitchell proved what an useless he is and at providing the leadership. I know people would say we should talk about what to do with Hargrave; I disagree. We should be discussing what we can do with Tuitt, what can we get for him. Hargrave is a perfect DT for the 4-3 and this defense look like it can be legitimate a 4-3 defense. 

Honestly, people bashed me for saying I want Vea, but now that idea is looking like it's really not a bad idea.

Archived