The Future of This Franchise (Coaching Staff Debate)

steelcurtain29

12 hours ago, CKSteeler said:

But your'e right - it's clearly too much of Mike Tomlin, one of football's highest paid head guys, to get his coaches to show up on time for a playoff game

It's estimated he's the 7th highest paid HC in the NFL because no one knows is salary (estimated at ~$7mil).

Here's the guys in front of him: Jon Gruden, Pete Carroll, Sean Payton, Bill Belichick, Andy Reid, John Harbaugh

The guys right behind him: Jason Garrett, Mike McCarthy, Jay Gruden, Bill O'Brien

Now if you are using this list as "some of the top coaches" who is 100% better than Tomlin?  Especially on the paid more than him side?  I only see one.

8 hours ago, warfelg said:

It's estimated he's the 7th highest paid HC in the NFL because no one knows is salary (estimated at ~$7mil).

Here's the guys in front of him: Jon Gruden, Pete Carroll, Sean Payton, Bill Belichick, Andy Reid, John Harbaugh

The guys right behind him: Jason Garrett, Mike McCarthy, Jay Gruden, Bill O'Brien

Now if you are using this list as "some of the top coaches" who is 100% better than Tomlin?  Especially on the paid more than him side?  I only see one.

There are at least 70 coaches in this league CLEARLY better than Tomlin.  Im sure most fans would be better as well.  He has run this team into the ground and any success this team has had is clearly because of absolutely anyone but him.    

Tomlin's pathetic inability to say everything fans want to hear in press conferences, babysit our players in their personal lives and wipe out our national debt is a testament to how worthless he is.

11 hours ago, warfelg said:

How many of those coaches can't get their coaches to show up on time? And when Tomlin signs his next contract, he'll leap frog a number of them. Which was the actual point made.

On 1/20/2018 at 5:16 PM, wwhickok said:

Mark Bruener, College Scout 
Mike Butler, College Scout 
Dan Colbert, College/Pro Scout 
Mark Gorscak, College Scout 
Chidi Iwuoma, BLESTO Scout 
Bruce McNorton, College Scout 
Dave Petett, Pro/College Scout

The Steelers as an organization are way too insular. That's what this list and the list of coaches tells me.

And it is Tomlin giving one certain former player on his staff preferential treatment. I mean, outside Porter being on the field against Cinci, I don't know what positive contribution that guy's made. And who in their right mind would ever want to see Porter as a defensive coordinator?

I'm just as offended as a snowflake that anyone on this board would not think Tomlin is perfect. Clearly, any of the team mistakes are not his fault. He isn't responsible for poor preparation, execution and gameplanning.

I say fire the waterboy! If he can't provide the team with SuperBowl quality H2O, then he has got to go.

thanks @3rivers  I grew up in a household of (cough cough) Cowboys fans, but I chose the Steelers and have been faithful ever since. I do think that too many modern fans are just too happy to compete and no longer holding the team to the highest expectations. Modern society??? idk

Interesting how we're quick to link the criticism of Tomlin bot not the defense from his star QB:

“I [don’t] necessarily agree with that,” Roethlisberger told Jeremy Fowler of ESPN.com. “I think he knows how to coach us and knows how to coach each individual guy and each position, so I don’t believe in that.

Anytime you lose, there’s always going to be some comments made. You’ll find anything, people will. I don’t think there’s any truth to that. I think guys were focused and ready to go. We weren’t the best on that day.”

“We communicate well with each other,” Roethlisberger said. “We’ve been here for a long time together. I don’t know how many head coaches and quarterbacks have worked together as long together as we have. That just helps when it comes to communicating. When it comes to coaches and plays and anything like that, it’s beneficial.”

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/01/roethlisberger-defends-tomlin-lack-discipline-claims-pro-bowl/

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

Interesting how we're quick to link the criticism of Tomlin bot not the defense from his star QB:

I'm trying to make sense of this line. I don't recall Roethlisberger criticizing the defense. I consider the notion of a Roethlisberger grudge against Tomlin as mostly fabricated. I don't think he wants him gone, though there's signs of frustration. Roethlisberger's ire was aimed at Haley. That's my interpretation of everything I've seen. And Roethlisberger, as commented on in the article, is probably still giddy to be done with Haley. We'll get a better idea of how much was Haley and how much was Tomlin or an organizational thing next season.

At the same time, you should look at what Roethlisberger says. Even if you don't take it as a direct criticism of Tomlin, he qualifies it by saying he doesn't "necessarily agree with that." That necessarily has implications, too.

What they are doing right now is not working for what the ultimate goal is over these next few seasons. People who fail to recognize this aren't putting their heads in the sand. The brain trust of Tomlin and Colbert need to get better. The defensive collapse in the second half of the season is *not* explained or justified by the loss of Shazier. And the failure to have a back-up plan for Shazier getting hurt itself is a big issue even if the severity of the injury was unpredictable. I'd also reiterate that the defense had sucked for more than a game when Shazier went down.

So, if the Steelers had a plan last year to address the AFCCG collapse, they now need a new one. One that includes replacing a rare talent at ILB on top of the other issues. And the ship as a whole needs to be run a lot tighter. To include what Mike "Press Conferences Are My Primary Function" Tomlin says to his guys. Because from top to bottom, this is a very arrogant and stupid football team no matter how talented.

On 2018-01-26 at 2:54 PM, oksteeler said:

thanks @3rivers  I grew up in a household of (cough cough) Cowboys fans, but I chose the Steelers and have been faithful ever since. I do think that too many modern fans are just too happy to compete and no longer holding the team to the highest expectations. Modern society??? idk

the problem here is the team has too much talent and doesn't play near it's potential enough. Just lower expectations and get used to watching other teams late in january, thats all9_9

6 hours ago, wwhickok said:

They'll get 2 more years. Thats when Butlers contraxt expires. After that, if we havent won a SB theyll all be gone.

I hope their tenure isn't just bound to superbowl wins but rather defensive improvement. This offense could nearly carry them to the Superbowl by itself.

Archived