The Future of This Franchise (Coaching Staff Debate)

steelcurtain29

1 minute ago, wwhickok said:

My point on the onside kick isnt to criticize Tomlin but rationalize the decision.  He did not believe in the Defense and he said so indirectly after the game.

The 4th down failures werent even close to succeeding, the decision to go for it wasnt the problem,  the manner in which they did so was

I was just adding to what you said.  I realize you weren't criticizing.  

8 minutes ago, CKSteeler said:

Jesus, get Wade Philips on the phone. He'll take the gig in a heartbeat and could easily coast this team to 12-4.

Jesus Christ this is an embarrassing comment.   

4 minutes ago, CKSteeler said:

Well, I'm getting at the fact that the team seems to be genuinely awful at this play which is already based on luck. And I have to wonder what Boswell is doing in practice to even give Tomlin hope. Because what we see on gamedays? I'm to the point where I'd never trust him to kick another onsides again unless it was clear cut no other way to win.

I got the easy answer:

Rice plays on that fake turf, he was goo there.  Our practice field is fake turn, he'd good there (I've seen it).  Our stadium is grass.  Ball doesn't react the same on grass.  Doesn't have the same bounce or momentum.

But kick it deep, the Jags are running 3 times, maybe get a 1st down, but even if they don't, at worse the start at the 25; get to maybe the 33; and a punt means with a little over a minute we have to go 70+ yards.

You play any other sports?

I'm a golfer:

I know on bent, I get high bounces but not a lot of roll because the grass is stickier and softer.  So I try to hit drives higher and irons with more spin.

I get to Poe, and the bounce isn't that great, but shots really roll out.  That means drives are going to roll so I don't have to hit them high, but iron shots have to go really high.

I get on Fescue and I get bounce and roll.  So you have to pre-plan shots and land a lot shorter of where you want it to go.

I get on bluegrass and I'm not getting bounce or role.  So I know that I need to hit it to my spot because the ball won't move much.

Point being, different surfaces have different effects on the ball, and I think that it messes with Boswell because he doesn't practice on grass enough to know exactly where, how hard, and at what angle to kick the ball because of that.

3 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

To be fair, had the ball not hit a Steelers player it may have gone far enough. It doesnt mean we recover it regardless. In fact most likely we wouldn't have.

I wonder if that was intentional and they were trying to use the players to blow Jags hands team off the line, and have the second wave recover as soon as it crossed.

1 minute ago, August4th said:

any defensive coordinators out there that you guys would be interested in?

kinda wanna see what rex could do with this unit.. but his bills defenses were bad from what I can remember

I suggested Rex.   Id take him pending he didnt demand to bring his fat, homeless looking brother with him.

Rex's defenses are bad if the players dont fit what he does like in Buffalo.      I think ours would fit pretty well except for maybe needing a beefier NT, but I think he could build the defense back up if we gave him who he wanted via the draft and maybe FA.     Honestly, outside of Heyward, Tuitt and Watt (not counting Shazier since he is done IMO), the defense might need to be completely overhauled.   Haden might be worth keeping around.   Outside of that, what else do we have?   

Like Butler or not, I think he will get a pass due to what happened to Shazier.   Before Shazier and Haden went down, our defense was doing pretty well.

6 minutes ago, August4th said:

any defensive coordinators out there that you guys would be interested in?

kinda wanna see what rex could do with this unit.. but his bills defenses were bad from what I can remember

With the defense I'm willing to take a risk on someone new, Josh Boyer.  Defensive backs coach Patriots.

1 minute ago, wwhickok said:

Gonna throw a few names out there as potential DCs. Just looking for informative opinions.

Rex Ryan

Chuck Pagano

Lovie Smith

Jack Del Rio

Mike Singletary

Yes to Ryan, Pagano and Del Rio.

Hell no to Lovie Smith.

What has Singletary ever done, really?

Archived