The Future of This Franchise (Coaching Staff Debate)

steelcurtain29

Just now, wwhickok said:

Singletary was a "3-4 Scheme familiarity mention"

Meh.

Honestly, not sure Id "fire" Butler for any of those coaches....but if we did, Id probably go with Rex or Del Rio.....Pagano being a 3rd choice.....then there are other options out there in the form of position coaches.  

1 minute ago, Magnus-Viktor said:

He sucks!  Always has!  Always will!  Team gets less disciplined every year the damn cheerleader is masquerading as an NFL HC.  

He's won a Super Bowl and been to another. How is the team "less disciplined" exactly?

Need some substance here man.

1 minute ago, wwhickok said:

Who do you think Would be a good fit?

Wouldnt be shocked if Randy Fitchner got promoted.    Not sure how good he would be, but Ben likes him and he has been a coordinator before (in college, anyway). 

Outside coaches.....not sure....Chan Gailey?   

Just now, steelcurtain29 said:

He's won a Super Bowl and been to another. How is the team "less disciplined" exactly?

Need some substance here man.

Look at all the penalties.  His team consistently plays down to the level of competition instead of dominating.  The Steelers have by far the best roster in the NFL.  Shazier's loss hurt a lot, but it was still ten times more talented than the Shaguars.  Underachieving.  Stupid penalties.  Players running their mouths.  It's a circus.  It starts with him.

Just now, FourThreeMafia said:

Wouldnt be shocked if Randy Fitchner got promoted.    Not sure how good he would be, but Ben likes him and he has been a coordinator before (in college, anyway). 

Outside coaches.....not sure....Chan Gailey?   

Honestly would Fichtner be the worst decision? Would allow Ben a LOT more on field control of the offense imo

5 minutes ago, Magnus-Viktor said:

He sucks!  Always has!  Always will!  Team gets less disciplined every year the damn cheerleader is masquerading as an NFL HC.  

http://www.nflpenalties.com/team/pittsburgh-steelers?year=2017

Hasn't changed much year to year.

2017 - 105

2016 - 125

2015 - 109

2014 - 111

2013 - 76

2012 - 92

2011 - 107

2010 - 119

2009 - 85

Ave: 103 per year.  NFL average: 113 a year.

Just now, Magnus-Viktor said:

Look at all the penalties.  His team consistently plays down to the level of competition instead of dominating.  The Steelers have by far the best roster in the NFL.  Shazier's loss hurt a lot, but it was still ten times more talented than the Shaguars.  Underachieving.  Stupid penalties.  Players running their mouths.  It's a circus.  It starts with him.

Mitchell has always been a loud mouth. Every team gets dumb penalties.

Just now, Magnus-Viktor said:

As for the penalties, I want to believe you; but that's banter. You're showing me nothing that penalties / yards spiked because of him.
Team does always seem unprepared. No idea who to really blame there.

Best roster? I don't think so. Defense just got lit up for 45. Let that sink in.

What's Tomlin to do about players actions off the field though? He's a coach, not a babysitter. What do you want him to do?

4 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

To be fair, had the ball not hit a Steelers player it may have gone far enough. It doesnt mean we recover it regardless. In fact most likely we wouldn't have.

He kicked it right into the lanes his guys are running it. It was a poor angle, and I think it's more likely to go out of bounds than to go 10 yards.

10 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Jesus Christ this is an embarrassing comment. 

Embarrassing is having the head coach call his shot, and then to have a number of players who seem to be Tomlin guys (Mitchell, for one) chirp for weeks about the Patriots only to get bounced at home by a team QB'ed by Blake Bortles. And then somehow, on gameday, you have Mike Mitchell of all people inexplicably outside the Jaguars locker room yelling like a retard about how they're going to know his name. Tomlin would be the same coach who basically ended Anthony Smith's career for saying if we execute against the Pats, we should win in 2007. This after last years, "We'll be ready for their *****!" post-game broadcast on Facebook live by one of his players.

Embarrassing is how I'd describe any number of Tomlin decisions today. I mean, Roethlisberger said he wanted the Jaguars. At least he put up 42 points.

There's a reason Tomlin looked like he was holding back tears on the sideline today multiple times. Not to mention in his post-game. And it's because he knows that his talk this year was even worse than 2009 unleash hell comments.

But fine. Let's let Mike hire some new coordinators. Maybe whoever he gets on offense can talk him into letting his 6'5 QB run a sneak again. More than likely, we're going to see Lake get fired and Haley walks. New WR coach because Mann is retiring. And they roll into next year with mostly the same team and staff. Another contract battle with Bell and no Shazier.

You say that I'm a broken record on this subject (even though I laid off most of this season on Tomlin). But I can't help but notice how the defenses of Tomlin get weaker and weaker each passing year. I'm consistent. I've decided this girl doesn't make me happy and I want her gone. You guys are still equivocating and dancing around the issue because you're scared you can't do better.

I mean, jesus, Tom Coughlin basically had to be banished from the Giants coaching facilities. Maybe his disciplinarian style is what this team needs after Tomlin, and we know he's the one guy who seems to give Belichick issues. Could be like how the maligned Wade Philips actually got more out of those Cowboys teams than Parcells. Sometimes, one coach's message gets stale. Players get too comfortable with them. Tomlin has been here over a decade. Andy Reid didn't forget how to coach in Philly, but he had to go. Even Bill Cowher noted it at one point - players start tuning you out after a while. Final example - Dungy probably never gets over the hump in Tampa because while he built that team, his coaching style was just not what they needed to get a ring. He likely could have succeeded in Tampa longer than Gruden, but never gotten a Super Bowl out of it. Probably never would have learned how to keep his offense accountable. Hey, hold up, one more.

The entire question of who to replace Tomlin with is a weak one for the reasons I've already outlined numerous times. It's not black and white at all. A coaching change can provide a spark, even if temporary. The Steelers organizational structure is very sound, the talent is already here on the team for the most part. This isn't some complete rebuild. They don't have to be wedded to the guy for the next 20 years.

I know full well Tomlin isn't going anywhere. But people should also recognize that Butler likely isn't, either. And that what we're going to get is pretty much more of the same. Hope that they luck into a great offensive coordinator and things finally click on offense for a full 16 games.

Archived