Why didn't you tackle, Marcus?

BossierWhoDat

3 minutes ago, NS922 said:

I have wondered how different it would have been with Breaux out there if he wasn't injured. He was inconsistent and grabby but he was our original #1 corner. I wonder about Vaccaro too, he would have never missed that tackle.

And Oakfor, and Fairley, and Anzalone... Etc, etc. This team was desamatied with injuries amd simply arent as deep as Minnesota.

1 hour ago, whodatworm23 said:

And Oakfor, and Fairley, and Anzalone... Etc, etc. This team was desamatied with injuries amd simply arent as deep as Minnesota.

But if they can get another class like the last 2... OMG this team could be set for years to come.

1 minute ago, domepatrol91 said:

Marcus is going to be a tackling machine next year. Book it. He’ll be our #2 defender after Cam (yeah, I remember Lattimore).

Hes a rare safety... Range, ball skills, true centerfielder. His tackling has been a strength all season (dont knkw where some guys say otherwise). To me he was clearly looking to avoid a PI call as Gleason eluded too. Which was stressed during Paytons ridiculous TO with 10 sec to go.

3 hours ago, BossierWhoDat said:

I'm not mad at Marcus but that was the ABSOLUTE worst time to pull up and avoid a penalty.

If he hits him its a flag, and first down at that spot. Chipshot field goal and we lose. It was bad timing on the play. Simple as that. Well timed he catches him as he is coming down with the ball and game over. What really made this play stand out even more was that he took Crawley out of the play. He maybe could have saved it. It sucks, but it happened. We move on.

Just now, Jlowe22 said:

Yea, I'm already tired of discussing it.

Indeed. Every player on the team missed a tackle this year. Williams hurt the most but it was no more egregious than Crawley vs Tate or countless others. 

Hes an outstanding rookie and based on his postgame presser he’s gonna bounce back just fine.

8 minutes ago, domepatrol91 said:

Indeed. Every player on the team missed a tackle this year. Williams hurt the most but it was no more egregious than Crawley vs Tate or countless others. 

Hes an outstanding rookie and based on his postgame presser he’s gonna bounce back just fine.

This

No one on ? is more upset, angry and heartbroken over what happened than Marcus Williams. Good kid, great player and he has my support.

2 hours ago, whodatworm23 said:

Hes a rare safety... Range, ball skills, true centerfielder. His tackling has been a strength all season (dont knkw where some guys say otherwise). To me he was clearly looking to avoid a PI call as Gleason eluded too. Which was stressed during Paytons ridiculous TO with 10 sec to go.

He has been solid tackling overall, but he has had bad form at times and a few bad angles. I didn't mean to call his overall tackling into question, I meant that at times it was a weakness. Not many times, but it still happened. 

4 hours ago, Jlowe22 said:

I would agree, but our defense hadn't been pitching a no hitter before then, in fact they had been getting burnt by the WRs and killing us with penalties all game.

I don't place the loss on Marcus solely, but regardless of what Payton told him, all he had to do was make a routine, fundamental play. 

I agree with you, that is the bottom line ( just make the fundamental play ) and the Saint are in the championship game. The kid did everything wrong lower his head and dove for a spot, instead of driving thru the receiver like they taught us in high school. Some of the other folks on this board are right also how did the receiver get so wide open on the sideline, nobody was even covering him. I am not even a Saint fan and I am still upset at what happen,

2 hours ago, doumeyer said:

I agree with you, that is the bottom line ( just make the fundamental play ) and the Saint are in the championship game. The kid did everything wrong lower his head and dove for a spot, instead of driving thru the receiver like they taught us in high school. Some of the other folks on this board are right also how did the receiver get so wide open on the sideline, nobody was even covering him. I am not even a Saint fan and I am still upset at what happen,

Rewatch the play... Its clear to me that during the timeout it was stressed to our DB's not to even touch the recievers for fear of PI. We allowed them clear free routes and when Williams came up he missed timed it and got there to soon and tried to avoid the PI. In all honesty Williams played like a seasoned vet the whole season up till that point when he made a rookie mistake. It sucks but this is a talented kid thats a big part of our future and im glad to have him.

The 21 year old rookie was playing in his first divisional and road playoff game of his young career, and he handled the entire aftermath with more poise and dignity than can be said for some NFC South quarterbacks.

https://www.canalstreetchronicles.com/2018/1/15/16892678/new-orleans-saints-2-ups-and-2-downs-from-saints-divisional-loss-to-minnesota-vikings-recap

Truth.

13 hours ago, whodatworm23 said:

This

No one on ? is more upset, angry and heartbroken over what happened than Marcus Williams. Good kid, great player and he has my support.

Sounds like you guys have a really good perspective on this, but I just wanted to chime in anyway since we had something similar happen in Chicago a few years back.

2013, Week 17, Bears/Packers, winner takes a playoff spot, Chris Conte was in the wrong coverage on the game-winning Aaron Rodgers touchdown. The backlash in Chicago was disgusting, from fans telling him to go suck on an tailpipe to wishing his children get AIDS (not even making that one up).

At the end of the day, it’s just a game. What Williams has to deal with is far worse than anything people can say to him.

1 hour ago, IronMike84 said:

The backlash in Chicago was disgusting, from fans telling him to go suck on an tailpipe to wishing his children get AIDS (not even making that one up).

Social media makes all sorts of nobodies feel tough. Dudes working at a gas station trying to make rent so their mom and stepdad don’t kick them out of the basement more than likely.

Id love to see all those guys cower in fear when an NFL player came knocking on their door.

I'd just like to say that without Williams' pick earlier in the game we're not even in that position soooo. One play does not make the player. He actually had a good game as a whole. Yes his mistake came at a terrible time but it happens. Players make mistakes all the time, some more egregious than others but in the end it's still ONE mistake. 

Remember all the years we've all spent on this forum talking about how badly we've needed a ballhawking FS? How we all loved acquiring Jarius Byrd (... yeah...) because of it? Williams is THAT guy. He is a perfect fit for this team, had an awesome rookie season, and will continue to improve. He is one of the best pieces on this team and will be one of our top ~6 most important players next year, book it. 

I was very upset in the moment but in all my years of watching as a fan (any sport too, not just football) I've learned not to scapegoat for one mistake. If we pick up the 3rd & 1 and run down the clock we're never in that position. If we don't get his pick then we're not in that position either. Marcus will get nothing but love from me. 

Archived