Ian Rapoport: Titans offer HC Mike Mularkey an extension

titans0021

2 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

After today's press conference, I'm concerned that even if he gets rid of Robiskie, he'll hire someone similar instead of going after an innovative guy.

I wouldn't even mind if it's just another guy. But someone that has a feel to call plays.  Robiskie doesn't have the feel. 

4 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

My guess....

They had a meeting. Adams Strunk said, "Yes we had discussions to replace you. We aren't thrilled with the way the offense has played and the development of Marcus. When you were hired, we said our #1 priority was Marcus. Keeping him healthy and making him our franchise QB. We love what you have done with the team. Taken us to where we haven't been in almost a decade. We however can't accept the way the offense and Marcus has gone."

Then He goes into his plan and reassures her they are on the right track. Hopefully he then says he will examine everything, but he needs some reassurance from ownership in order to attract players and coaches. 
Hoping that means that changes can still happen...

I'm really hoping this is the case. If changes are made, I'm fine. I can deal with Mularkey, especially if he lets a new OC implement a modern system.

If changes aren't made, I don't know what I'm going to do. Honestly, I'll probably stick around, but keeping the exact same coaching staff next year would probably be my lowest point in 20 years of being a fan. I grew up 15 minutes from Lambeau Field, I've lived my entire life in the state of Wisconsin. Year after year of taking trash from Packers fans as the home team constantly made the playoffs while the team I rooted for was garbage. Just waiting for a point where we'd assemble some talent and maybe, just maybe, find a real quarterback. Heading into this year, I really thought this was it. The roster looked good. And more importantly, we had Marcus. And then the season happened. Ugly wins, ugly losses, offense is constantly disappointing, Mariota is dealing with nagging injuries and is showing absolutely no progress. Still flashes of what we all know he can do, but actual regression. As a 24-year old. For this franchise to look at the job the coaching staff has done and think that, just because they backed their way into the playoffs from 8-4, these coaches not just deserve to stick around, but to be rewarded. I don't know. It just feels like a total slap in the face. I've poured 1000s of hours into this team, way more than any rational human being should. I don't even know what my feelings are. Angry is both too weak and too strong a word. I guess I'm just numb. 

I'm a never say never type person. 
Not many if any thought we'd ever even get to the playoffs under Mularkey, yet alone win a game.  
I know faith in the staff is all-time low. 

But yeah...that's all I got. lol
I'm pretty sure once we get closer to the season and make a few moves, I'll be able to come up with some good positive outlooks.  But at this moment, I have a hard time convincing anyone that this team will take the step next year to get better. 

1 minute ago, KingTitan said:

I'm a never say never type person. 
Not many if any thought we'd ever even get to the playoffs under Mularkey, yet alone win a game.  
I know faith in the staff is all-time low. 

But yeah...that's all I got. lol
I'm pretty sure once we get closer to the season and make a few moves, I'll be able to come up with some good positive outlooks.  But at this moment, I have a hard time convincing anyone that this team will take the step next year to get better. 

My concern isn't even taking the next step to get better. My concern is taking a significant step backwards. With Luck and Watson back and the Jags potentially upgrading their only significant weakness, I can't see us possibly going 5-1 in the division. And we were 4-6 outside of it with a relatively easy schedule.

I have 0 hope in this franchise so long as Amy is the owner or controlling owner or whatever the hell she is. 

Our only true hope is her getting kicked out of ownership with that report about the league being unhappy with our ownership situation. 

17 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

I'm really hoping this is the case. If changes are made, I'm fine. I can deal with Mularkey, especially if he lets a new OC implement a modern system.

If changes aren't made, I don't know what I'm going to do. Honestly, I'll probably stick around, but keeping the exact same coaching staff next year would probably be my lowest point in 20 years of being a fan. I grew up 15 minutes from Lambeau Field, I've lived my entire life in the state of Wisconsin. Year after year of taking trash from Packers fans as the home team constantly made the playoffs while the team I rooted for was garbage. Just waiting for a point where we'd assemble some talent and maybe, just maybe, find a real quarterback. Heading into this year, I really thought this was it. The roster looked good. And more importantly, we had Marcus. And then the season happened. Ugly wins, ugly losses, offense is constantly disappointing, Mariota is dealing with nagging injuries and is showing absolutely no progress. Still flashes of what we all know he can do, but actual regression. As a 24-year old. For this franchise to look at the job the coaching staff has done and think that, just because they backed their way into the playoffs from 8-4, these coaches not just deserve to stick around, but to be rewarded. I don't know. It just feels like a total slap in the face. I've poured 1000s of hours into this team, way more than any rational human being should. I don't even know what my feelings are. Angry is both too weak and too strong a word. I guess I'm just numb. 

Changes will not be made at OC and I'll tell you why.

Mularkey has always been a straight forward and honest guy from the start. When the ownership/front office didn't give him any job security reassurance going into the KC game he was straight forward and honest with the media his feelings towards it. He will not sit up there and vouge for his guy in front of the media only to turn around and fire him. It's not in his make-up and never has been. Robiskie will be here next year. And it sucks.

As someone already said him getting an extension makes zero sense unless he is making some coaching staff changes.

If that isn't the case, then this could be one of the dumbest moves in the history of this franchise.

Two back to back 9-7 seasons is nice and all. I could see that being a reason to get an extension as while not great it is a lot better than past teams.

That being said, anyone with eyes and half a brain could tell you that 9-7 was under achieving with the talent on the roster and the easy schedule the Titans had.

Yes the Titans won their first playoff game in a long time. However, even that had to be an unbelievable come back. Nothing was easy. Nothing ever went smooth.

The players said that Mariota needed to rise above coaching. I think it was Walker who said it. Then multiple players when the season is done say the offense under achieved and was nowhere what it should have been. Then Mularkey himself says we never played a full game.

Whose job is it to have the players and coaches prepared for each game? I believe a lot of that responsibility falls on the head coach.

Yeah better rush to extend Mularkey. Give me a break if there is not any coaching changes there will be zero reason to be excited for next year. The Titans regressed this year yet somehow made the playoffs and won a playoff game. The fact there was a big time regression on offense should not be ignored.

Archived