Ian Rapoport: Titans offer HC Mike Mularkey an extension

titans0021

I just keep telling myself that there's no way we can keep Robiskie. Everyone, from the players, to the media/analyst, to the fans, has seen/said how Mariota and the offense has regressed.

There's just no logical reason to keep him.  It would be among the worse, dumbest decision in franchise history if he's kept.

41 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

The only bright side I can possibly point to, and it's not even a certainty, but just a guess, is that this could mean that Robiskie is out. There's literally no other reason to give Mularkey an extension unless you think it would be difficult to lure a competent offensive coordinator if the HC is a lame duck. If that's the case, this news is fine. We knew he was back anyways. If this comes with an extension for the assistants, I'm out.

This has been the hope the past month or so. Bring MM back with significant changes to the staff...Especially on offense.

I also knew and shared a few times that letting him stay on without an extension was not an option. He wouldn't attract anyone worth a damn as a lame duck.

They may have given him a 1 year extension, but to draw good candidates he really needs a 2 year, that way new staff could be offered 3 full years themselves. That's pretty standard for coordinators.

His comments about no changes almost broke me... But I have renewed faith. I predicted he'd be kept, I predicted he'd get an extension, but I predicted that'd only happen with changes to the offensive staff. Let's see what unfolds. 

Maybe they dont fire him outright but demote him to WRs coach? I wouldn't take a demotion myself, but he may not have other options.

2 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

This has been the hope the past month or so. Bring MM back with significant changes to the staff...Especially on offense.

I also knew and shared a few times that letting him stay on without an extension was not an option. He wouldn't attract anyone worth a damn as a lame duck.

They may have given him a 1 year extension, but to draw good candidates he really needs a 2 year, that way new staff could be offered 3 full years themselves. That's pretty standard for coordinators.

His comments about no changes almost broke me... But I have renewed faith. I predicted he'd be kept, I predicted he'd get an extension, but I predicted that'd only happen with changes to the offensive staff. Let's see what unfolds. 

Maybe they dont fire him outright but demote him to WRs coach? I wouldn't take a demotion myself, but he may not have other options.

I'm going to be constantly refreshing Twitter and FF over the next few days just praying that the news comes down. I'm fine with the extension, the timing of it immediately after that presser today though has me terrified.

Just now, TitanSlim said:

I just keep telling myself that there's no way we can keep Robiskie. Everyone, from the players, to the media/analyst, to the fans, has seen/said how Mariota and the offense has regressed.

There's just no logical reason to keep him.  It would be among the worse, dumbest decision in franchise history if he's kept.

We're keeping him lol. Like I said in my previous post, he's a straight forward and honest guy which I can respect from a moral point of view, but I have 0 respect for keeping around incompetence. Because of his straight forward honesty, he's not going to sit up there in front of the media and pledge allegiance to his guy only to turn back around, stab him in the back and fire him. That's not Mularkey.

6 minutes ago, tntitans4life17 said:

What are the chances the fan base can go all UT and get AAS/JRob to change course and not bring Mularkey back? Such a freaking joke. If no changes are made to the staff, I can’t imagine how any fan or season ticket holder would support this joke of a franchise 

I say this with as much respect to the native Tennessean posters in here as I can possibly have, but I honestly don't think there's enough passion for the Titans in the state to get that kind of effort going.

4 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

We're keeping him lol. Like I said in my previous post, he's a straight forward and honest guy which I can respect from a moral point of view, but I have 0 respect for keeping around incompetence. Because of his straight forward honesty, he's not going to sit up there in front of the media and pledge allegiance to his guy only to turn back around, stab him in the back and fire him. That's not Mularkey.

My only slight glimmer of hope at this point is that they'll announce the changes in coaching staff the same time they officially announce the extension of Mularkey.

1 minute ago, TitanSlim said:

My only slight glimmer of hope at this point is that they 'll announce the changes in coaching staff the same time they officially announce the extension of Mularkey.

"Hope is a dangerous thing" and that has never been more true here. I love our fans but the truth is in plain sight. Mularkey is loyal to the bitter end. Just look at the running back situation this year. Henry was clearly the better runner but Mularkey just wouldn't let go of Demarco until he was forced to because of the injury and wow, amazing how well forcing him to do something EVERYONE knew was for the better turned out to be as Henry (alongside Marcus) led us to victories over Jax and KC. If Demarco was back there we don't win those games. He HAS to be forced to get rid of Robiskie but Amy won't let Robinson put his feet to the fire because she's over emotional (or maybe they're secret lovers who knows at this point). As long as Mularkey is here, Robiskie is here too because Mularkey is overly loyal. We've all been shouting it all year...he is literally Fisher all over again.

I'm just going to wipe most of this season away from memory.
Only thing that actually happened was 

We played 4 games this year. 

1. Seattle
  2. Jags 2 times
  3. And playoff game against KC.

I'm going to just rewatch games from 2016 and remember when the offense looked competent and playcalling/design was more acceptable. 

20 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

"Hope is a dangerous thing" and that has never been more true here. I love our fans but the truth is in plain sight. Mularkey is loyal to the bitter end. Just look at the running back situation this year. Henry was clearly the better runner but Mularkey just wouldn't let go of Demarco until he was forced to because of the injury and wow, amazing how well forcing him to do something EVERYONE knew was for the better turned out to be as Henry (alongside Marcus) led us to victories over Jax and KC. If Demarco was back there we don't win those games. He HAS to be forced to get rid of Robiskie but Amy won't let Robinson put his feet to the fire because she's over emotional (or maybe they're secret lovers who knows at this point). As long as Mularkey is here, Robiskie is here too because Mularkey is overly loyal. We've all been shouting it all year...he is literally Fisher all over again.

My hope percentage is at like 1% lol. I'm all but done with the team for 2018 right now. 

Even if we get rid of Robiskie, I have no confidence Mularkey will go outside his comfort zone for an OC. I expect him to hire someone like Eric Studesville and our offense being more of the same, just with a new name at coordinator.

43 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

I say this with as much respect to the native Tennessean posters in here as I can possibly have, but I honestly don't think there's enough passion for the Titans in the state to get that kind of effort going.

Pretty much no NFL team could ever make something like that happen as you're complaints fall on the deaf ears of a billionaire. They don't answer to us. Anyone who works for a public university, however, has a much different element to contend with. 

If J-Rob doesn't wrangle full control of football ops - so probably needs a promotion to be an EVP/GM - we're gonna continue to end up in these situations. Would have been nice if Steve Underwood had found a real CEO/pres role and left the team in more capable hands. He probably has more bearing on this than people think.

2 minutes ago, VY said:

Pretty much no NFL team could ever make something like that happen as you're complaints fall on the deaf ears of a billionaire. They don't answer to us. Anyone who works for a public university, however, has a much different element to contend with. 

If J-Rob doesn't wrangle full control of football ops - so probably needs a promotion to be an EVP/GM - we're gonna continue to end up in these situations. Would have been nice if Steve Underwood had found a real CEO/pres role and left the team in more capable hands. He probably has more bearing on this than people think.

There's definitely also that.

I don't know, I'm not fully in on the AAS hate yet. None of us truly know how meddling of an owner she is, and in general, she has said the right things thus far. If Robinson allows Mularkey to retain the entire staff, I'm going to be far more down on him than AAS. It's one thing to take a job with a coach being forced on you, it's another to sit back and let said coach and the coaches he has hired drag you down with them.

Archived