4th and a foot

3rivers

If you watch enough New England games you see Brady on every 4th and one on the other side of the 50 yard line

hurry his team to the line and sneak it for two or three yards, every single time and it works. Is Belicheck and Brady 

geniuses, nope they just use common sense when making decisions. Ben is 6'5" 250, who made the call... I do not know but at this stage of his career

Ben should be able to audible to that at any time......

Ben has a better 1st down rate on sneaks (18/19) than Tom Brady....who is considered great at them.  But we don't run them because Haley doesn't want Ben to 'get earholed like Flacco'.

That's like saying vaccines cause autism, so I'm going vegan.

13 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Ben has a better 1st down rate on sneaks (18/19) than Tom Brady....who is considered great at them.  But we don't run them because Haley doesn't want Ben to 'get earholed like Flacco'.

That's fine during the regular season.  In the playoffs, all hands on deck.  Whatever it takes to win - you take that chance.  

Just now, JLambert58 said:

That's fine during the regular season.  In the playoffs, all hands on deck.  Whatever it takes to win - you take that chance.  

Flacco was also a scramble run to the outside, not a take the ball and fall 1 foot forwards.  A sneak is likely one of the safest things a QB can do.

Just now, JLambert58 said:

Yeah, a big boy like Ben can handle it.  Run over top of DeCastro.  

The way I taught my QB and OL this year:

Get up there, see which way the DT's are leaning.  If one gap either side of the C is open, you dive there, get the ball across.  The OG on the side he dives it to jump on him and protect him.  C blocks down on that guy.  RB lines up in the FB slot.  If they pinch the DT's on both A gaps, then its a dive give to the B-gaps with the same idea, unless the lane is wide open you get there and get down.

So basically on the sneak the line would get there, and Ben gets in there.  If the DT lines up on his left A-Gap, he's to dive to the right, DeCastro doesn't block, but dives with Ben, and gets on top of him.  Vice Versa if the DT lines up the other side.  

The idea either way is to call it quick so the DT's don't pinch on you, which is what Brady is great at, catching teams before they pinch inside.

10 minutes ago, warfelg said:

The way I taught my QB and OL this year:

Get up there, see which way the DT's are leaning.  If one gap either side of the C is open, you dive there, get the ball across.  The OG on the side he dives it to jump on him and protect him.  C blocks down on that guy.  RB lines up in the FB slot.  If they pinch the DT's on both A gaps, then its a dive give to the B-gaps with the same idea, unless the lane is wide open you get there and get down.

So basically on the sneak the line would get there, and Ben gets in there.  If the DT lines up on his left A-Gap, he's to dive to the right, DeCastro doesn't block, but dives with Ben, and gets on top of him.  Vice Versa if the DT lines up the other side.  

The idea either way is to call it quick so the DT's don't pinch on you, which is what Brady is great at, catching teams before they pinch inside.

Yeah, quick snap and go.  With one foot for the 1st down, I wouldn't mess around with B gaps, just push it over the top.  

Well, this game is going to sting for a long time. I am disappointed on so many levels. I am going to vent, rant and all that stuff a bit before answering your question. You don't get a lot of opportunities to position yourself to make history and win a Super Bowl.  There has been way too much drama on this team the past few years. Like it or think whatever you want, you open yourself up to the questions and criticisms when you lose. as far as the fourth and one calls, I think most fans have long grown tired of Todd Haley's play calling in general. Slam the ball up the middle or sneak it.

Football games are won and lost by either making plays or not making them. The Jaguars made plays, did what they were supposed to do and fought every minute of the game. As a Steelers fan it hurts, but they outplayed us for the most part and they deserved to win.  We did not take advantage of our opportunities. PERIOD!

The fourth down calls truthfully balanced themselves out.  While we should have made both of the fourth and ones, we should not have made either of the fourth down touchdown passes. They were tremendous individual plays by AB and Bryant.  Those plays are anomalies. They do not usually happen on 4th down.

This team rarely plays a complete game in all three phases.  Our offense struggled the first half of the season and the defense carried them, and then our defense struggled mightily the second half and got worse when Shazier went down, and our offense broke out.  Our special teams were the best that they have been in years in terms of coverage, but we never secured our punt return game and despite some big plays from Ju Ju and Bryant, kick off returns wee inconsistent for the most part.

Some of the problems on defense are from personnel.  You can't replace Shazier and we were extremely soft in the middle of the defense. Hargraves and Davis did not take the next step from the potential that they showed late last year and in the play-offs last year.  Sean Spence never looked comfortable out there in his second stint with the Steelers.  He was exposed many times.  Fort is athletic, but not yet a starting caliber ILB. Dirt Red never recovered from his injured shoulder, so we never got to see what he could do. Mike Mitchell has not become what many of us hoped that he would be at safety after signing with us from Carolina.

We have to take a page from the Broncos book. After getting beat by Joe Flacco and the Ravens in 2012 and then getting destroyed in the Super Bowl, the Bronco's solidified their defense. They got great cover corners, stronger and more stout in the middle, improved their pass rush and got better at safety.  Hopefully our Killer B's and OL can stay healthy. We have to get better personnel on defense.

Lastly, I will add that I will not be surprised if there are some coaching changes for the Steelers during this off-season.  It is no secret that Big Ben and Haley don't see eye to eye.  Ben has had his best numbers as a pro under Haley, but Haley has also left a lot to be desired in his play calling and overall effective use of the weapons that he has on offense. I am curious to see what happens here.

Defensively, I think Butler is safe, for now. However, I am not sure about two of the position coaches, namely Carnell Lake and Joey Porter. Lake seemed to have the defensive backs playing better early, but they faded badly in the middle and end of the season. The team gave up long passes in nearly every game of the second half of the season. Artie has not played to his full potential. Is that because he is limited in ability or because  Coach Lake has not brought the best out in him? I loved Lake as a player and Joey Porter as well. However, the lack of development this year with Bud Dupree is somewhat alarming. Again, is it Bud's lack of ability, or could another coach get better plays from him? The incident with Harrison doesn't look good for the coaching staff either. Ultimately, it is on the head coach, but it doesn't look good for any coach.

Let me ask everyone a question and this is a question that I think some of you guys will be able to answer better than I can that's why I'm asking it okay. I'm going to name somebody simply as an example not as someone I think we should hire okay I want to make that clear but here's my question: do you believe that a great player at a specific position and when I say great I mean exactly that when he played football in the NFL translate more often than not to a great position coach? For example do you believe that Jack ham as good of a linebacker as he was for the Steelers and he was a great one would make a great linebackers coach? What I'm really trying to ask you does being a great player make you capable of coaching players to be great?

Here is the point of my question Carnell Lake and Joey Porter were excellent players but I no longer view them as individuals capable of coaching our players to be great or even really good. Especially Carnell Lake who I feel has had a lot of time to coach up the secondary and I just don't feel like it has ever truly gotten exponentially better. Joey Porter was brought here to give our linebackers for sense of ferocity and to teach them to play linebacker basically the way he did and I don't see that translation on the field

19 minutes ago, Steeler Hitman said:

Well, this game is going to sting for a long time. I am disappointed on so many levels. I am going to vent, rant and all that stuff a bit before answering your question. You don't get a lot of opportunities to position yourself to make history and win a Super Bowl.  There has been way too much drama on this team the past few years. Like it or think whatever you want, you open yourself up to the questions and criticisms when you lose. as far as the fourth and one calls, I think most fans have long grown tired of Todd Haley's play calling in general. Slam the ball up the middle or sneak it.

Football games are won and lost by either making plays or not making them. The Jaguars made plays, did what they were supposed to do and fought every minute of the game. As a Steelers fan it hurts, but they outplayed us for the most part and they deserved to win.  We did not take advantage of our opportunities. PERIOD!

The fourth down calls truthfully balanced themselves out.  While we should have made both of the fourth and ones, we should not have made either of the fourth down touchdown passes. They were tremendous individual plays by AB and Bryant.  Those plays are anomalies. They do not usually happen on 4th down.

This team rarely plays a complete game in all three phases.  Our offense struggled the first half of the season and the defense carried them, and then our defense struggled mightily the second half and got worse when Shazier went down, and our offense broke out.  Our special teams were the best that they have been in years in terms of coverage, but we never secured our punt return game and despite some big plays from Ju Ju and Bryant, kick off returns wee inconsistent for the most part.

Some of the problems on defense are from personnel.  You can't replace Shazier and we were extremely soft in the middle of the defense. Hargraves and Davis did not take the next step from the potential that they showed late last year and in the play-offs last year.  Sean Spence never looked comfortable out there in his second stint with the Steelers.  He was exposed many times.  Fort is athletic, but not yet a starting caliber ILB. Dirt Red never recovered from his injured shoulder, so we never got to see what he could do. Mike Mitchell has not become what many of us hoped that he would be at safety after signing with us from Carolina.

We have to take a page from the Broncos book. After getting beat by Joe Flacco and the Ravens in 2012 and then getting destroyed in the Super Bowl, the Bronco's solidified their defense. They got great cover corners, stronger and more stout in the middle, improved their pass rush and got better at safety.  Hopefully our Killer B's and OL can stay healthy. We have to get better personnel on defense.

Lastly, I will add that I will not be surprised if there are some coaching changes for the Steelers during this off-season.  It is no secret that Big Ben and Haley don't see eye to eye.  Ben has had his best numbers as a pro under Haley, but Haley has also left a lot to be desired in his play calling and overall effective use of the weapons that he has on offense. I am curious to see what happens here.

Defensively, I think Butler is safe, for now. However, I am not sure about two of the position coaches, namely Carnell Lake and Joey Porter. Lake seemed to have the defensive backs playing better early, but they faded badly in the middle and end of the season. The team gave up long passes in nearly every game of the second half of the season. Artie has not played to his full potential. Is that because he is limited in ability or because  Coach Lake has not brought the best out in him? I loved Lake as a player and Joey Porter as well. However, the lack of development this year with Bud Dupree is somewhat alarming. Again, is it Bud's lack of ability, or could another coach get better plays from him? The incident with Harrison doesn't look good for the coaching staff either. Ultimately, it is on the head coach, but it doesn't look good for any coach.

I really don't think Bud Dupree lacks ability or potential what I do think is that he lacks a proper teacher I think his biggest issue and somebody hit on this previously is how he uses his hands and his ability to diagnose the offense and I think those are all things that can be worked on but you need the proper teacher. You've got to have a guy that's capable of teaching you what to look for on the opposing offense and he's got to have a guy capable of showing you how to use better technique when using your hands to fight off blockers and get to the quarterback I just don't think that we have those teachers on this coaching staff.

2 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

I really don't think Bud Dupree lacks ability or potential what I do think is that he lacks a proper teacher I think his biggest issue and somebody hit on this previously is how he uses his hands and his ability to diagnose the offense and I think those are all things that can be worked on but you need the proper teacher. You've got to have a guy that's capable of teaching you what to look for on the opposing offense and he's got to have a guy capable of showing you how to use better technique when using your hands to fight off blockers and get to the quarterback I just don't think that we have those teachers on this coaching staff.

I disagree.  Bud may be lacking technique and "teaching" but after watching him the last few years, I think he lacks passion, energy, determination, fight, and swagger.  His vanilla energy is NOT what this defense needs.  

Archived