4th and a foot

3rivers

23 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Ok?  Easy to do when literally that's all you are asked to do.  Elvis Dumervil had 6.5 snaps in 30% of snaps played.  Better rate than Lawson right?  Dante Fowler had 8 sacks on 44% snaps played!

Arthur Moats had 4 sacks in 9% of snaps!!!  That's 16 in 40% of snaps!! 

Easy to do when that's all your asked for??? He did his job!! Not many guys can say that on our defensive side of the ball.

I bet he is a 10 plus sack guy the next few years, not bad for a rookie 4th round draft pick

Just now, Lambert44 said:

Easy to do when that's all your asked for??? He did his job!! Not many guys can say that on our defensive side of the ball.

I bet he is a 10 plus sack guy the next few years, not bad for a rookie 4th round draft pick

I don't think he will.  More snaps will mean he's not as fresh, will be responsible to the run game as well, won't have the same burst.  Happens all the time as rotational DE's are asked to do more.

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

Just out of curiosity, do you follow him on IG, Twitter, snapchat?  He is always posting workouts especially in the offseason.  The problem I see is (from the 1 Steelers TC I've been to), when he does do something wrong, he's not really coached on it.  Harrison (I was at this years TC) stood off to the side talking to no one, TJ Watt and Dupree were working hard, and Moats was going through the motion.  Porter was so focused on Adams that when Bud and TJ did something wrong, he just told them to do it again without correcting them.  In fact I saw the OL players teaching Bud more on hand fighting than Porter.

Good info on the situation.

I never said he wasn't a hard worker.  I just don't see that translating into a really passionate football player.  

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

I don't think he will.  More snaps will mean he's not as fresh, will be responsible to the run game as well, won't have the same burst.  Happens all the time as rotational DE's are asked to do more.

This is why I agree with the idea of  situational passrushers  and the 4-3 , they stay at a higher energy level and have less responsibility.  Making players learn coverages (and able to cover), play every down and pass rush is asking too much for most.  The jags are a good example IMO. Fowler was a RD1 pick but is mostly rotational / situation DE yet productive.  

To expect a player to meet the skills of OLB and step  in and play at a good level is asking too much IMO. 

If we have the so called elite passing game, and can get leads on teams , then this is where situational pass rushers really benefit.  Playing down to competition and not being able to stop the run really leaves no room for situational pass rushers though,  they might get some stats but the unit as a whole will still be in trouble.  

9 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

This is why I agree with the idea of  situational passrushers  and the 4-3 , they stay at a higher energy level and have less responsibility.  Making players learn coverages (and able to cover), play every down and pass rush is asking too much for most.  The jags are a good example IMO. Fowler was a RD1 pick but is mostly rotational / situation DE yet productive.  

To expect a player to meet the skills of OLB and step  in and play at a good level is asking too much IMO. 

If we have the so called elite passing game, and can get leads on teams , then this is where situational pass rushers really benefit.  Playing down to competition and not being able to stop the run really leaves no room for situational pass rushers though,  they might get some stats but the unit as a whole will still be in trouble.  

You can still be in a 3-4 and do situational pass rushers.  Look at Aldon Smith and his rookie year.

36 minutes ago, warfelg said:

You can still be in a 3-4 and do situational pass rushers.  Look at Aldon Smith and his rookie year.

I know, but the starters still need coverage skills and I am just tired of the 3-4 we have had ever since 2012. When we had Harrison and woodley, it worked and could have been better as well. You need those types of players for it to work, not to mention a dominant NT. We have none of those and our ILB needs help with Shaziers injury.  The D needs most of  the attention for UFA and draft

Archived